Frightend.

53sharon

Jan 14, 2013
Hi everyone im a 53 year old lady with vascular dementia. Just resently been digesnosed. Some days im so frightend and confuesed. I have quite a large family but they dont seem to understand what im going through. I have autisic child that I look after which I wouldent change for the world. My dad died 6 years ago. He lived with me for 30 years. But i still take a cup of tea to his room somedays. I cant stand any noise that goes on to long because it hurts my head. Sometimes I go to get the washing in at 4am forgetting the time. I get very confused in some places. I also see images differently to other people. I fall over sometimes. Life is very frightening.

I would love to hear from anyone eles with vascular dementia. Thanks for reading this x.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Firstly I am so glad that you have found us, and we understand. I have an autistic son, they are very special children and we are blessed to have them.

How old is your son?

I too adore my boy.

I am worried that you are so frightened it must be awful for you. I can't start to imagine but I do have panic attacks it might be similar.

Would it help to see a GP? What support are you getting for yourself?

Do you have plans in place for your son so that he has support too? I am sorry for so many questions but sometimes if we can answer things like this the fear may not be so bad.

Again, I am so pleased you have found Talking Point, here you are among friends who truly understand.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi and welcome from me too. I'm so sorry you are frightened. I hope you have someone to talk to. Is there a local branch if the Alzheimer's Society? Perhaps someone there could help you.

I know we do have other members who have Vascular Dementia. I'm sure someone will be along to chat with you. x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello 53sharon

It must be dreadful for you, not only to have been diagnosed with Vascular Dementia but to have the responsibility of an autistic child as well. No wonder you are frightened.

The Samaritans is not only for people who feel suicidal. They also have an emotional listening service and can provide local face to face support if necessary.

Please give them a ring. They might be able to put you in contact with someone who can help you find the support you need.

The Samaritans

Emotional Health listening services:

Telephone: 08457 90 90 90 (24 hours, seven days a week)

Email jo@samaritans.org

Web Site www.samaritans.org

You could also phone the Alzheimer`s Society`s Helpline for advice about local dementia support groups for younger people.

If you have concerns about Alzheimer's disease or any other form of dementia, Alzheimer's Society National Dementia Helpline can provide information, support and guidance.

You can contact our helpline by calling 0300 222 1122 or by email at helpline@alzheimers.org.uk.

The helpline is usually open from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday, and from 10am - 4pm at weekends. However, the service may be closed occasionally during these times for operational reasons.

I hope this helps.

Please keep posting here on Talking Point. There will be support for you from all of us, carers and those who have Vascular Dementia as you have.

Feline

Oct 25, 2012
East Devon
Hi everyone im a 53 year old lady with vascular dementia. Just resently been digesnosed. Some days im so frightend and confuesed. I have quite a large family but they dont seem to understand what im going through. I have autisic child that I look after which I wouldent change for the world. My dad died 6 years ago. He lived with me for 30 years. But i still take a cup of tea to his room somedays. I cant stand any noise that goes on to long because it hurts my head. Sometimes I go to get the washing in at 4am forgetting the time. I get very confused in some places. I also see images differently to other people. I fall over sometimes. Life is very frightening.

I would love to hear from anyone eles with vascular dementia. Thanks for reading this x.

Perhaps you could find out as much as you can about vascular dementia and explain to one of the family then ask that person to speak to other members of the family on your behalf or you could ask your GP to explain to one of your family that may be closest to you. Often family members don't understand unless it is spelt out to them, especially if you look as if you are coping ok.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
My heart goes out to you; I hate to think of anyone being frightened. I just wanted to say hello and welcome, and to assure you that here you are safe, you're among friends who understand. I am sure you will receive lots more good advice, support and comfort here.

Best wishes xx

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
Hi sharon

Its a frighytening place to be but here you will find people who know what its like and tell it as it is.
I am always forgetting things and I cant cope with lots of noise, it makes my head very confused. Tonight we had lotys of visitors tonight and they all seemed so loud I kept wanting too go off and hide. I did for a bit!

I am only responsible for myself as I have no husband or children so I can only imagine what you are going through with your son, but I do have people that I care about and feel a responsibility for.

I dont live with my family but they don't get it either. So I know what that is like. People say you don't look as if you have dementia. That makes me cross are we supposed to have 2 heads or a tattoo that tells people?!

I hope you will find lots of help here I go to a memory cafe too in my area

much support

sarah

I am off to bed soon but wanted you to know youre not alone

53sharon

Jan 14, 2013
Hi Noorza thank you for your reply. I have 2 child who are austic one aged 23 one aged 26 and also a son with speical needs and austic trates. Even though i have a very large family i feel very alone some of the times cuz i dont think they understand what its like. We worry about our childrens future anyway but when they have speical needs its even more worrying. I have a very loving family and i dont like to think of them worring about me. I get quite alot of support but some days i just feel alone. Thank you again for replying x . Sharon .

53sharon

Jan 14, 2013
Hello Izzy Yes i was having a bad day yesterday im feeling a lot better today. Some days are better then others. Yer i do get support. Id love to speak to someone who eles has Vascular Dementia. Hope to talk to you soon Sharon x.

53sharon

Jan 14, 2013
Hello Grannie G. Thank you for caring i was having a bad day yesterday feeling much better today. I do have support but thank you for the number i will pass then on to other people who need them. Thank you ever so much for caring. Sharon.

53sharon

Jan 14, 2013
Hello Felin. Thank you for caring. Iam seeing a dr on tuesday and am taking some family member with me. Im feeling much better today. It is so nice that there is so many people caring. Thank You. Sharon x.

53sharon

Jan 14, 2013
Hello College Girl. It was so nice to see you message. I dident know there was so many caring people unil i came on to this site. I was feeling alone till I came on here. There are so many people worse of then me and my heart goes out to everyone. love Sharon x.

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
Sharon

Just thought I would pop in and see how you were today

I was a bit better too, had a few tricky moments I upset a visitor by asking her to speak a bit quieter, she moaned about someone who was scottish and how his voice goes through her (she is scottish too!) and so I felt i could say something as they both do my head in. No offence to Scots, Izzy on this forum is very quietly spoken!;)

She said she would never come again, which wasnt what I wanted, just a bit of volume control!

She later apologised!

I went and sat in the garden in the sun with my embroidery for a bit but was still a bit edgy when we left for church and managed to forget to take my fleece, my jacket and my stick! Fortunately It wasnt too cold!

I am glad your day was a bit better too you certainly have a lot on your plate

Much support

Sarah

bilslin

Jan 17, 2014
hertforshire
Hi 53sharon and welcome to TP must be terrible to be frightened. Hope you get some comfort here. theres lots of really kind and friendly people on here. Sending you hugs and good luck with the doctor. lindaxx

53sharon

Jan 14, 2013
Hello CreativeSarah. Thank you so much for your kind emal. Everything you put in your I feel also. I have a big family and sometime when they leave i just feel drained. I never knew there was so many kind people on this site. Im going to look inito going to a memory cafe. I really understand what you mean when you said about people saying you dont look like you have dementia. Not sure what were ment to look like. Everyones been so helpful on this site. My daughter Shaunna (23 years old) .is helping me use this site as I forget things easily. Even though she is austic she is good with the computer and help my son Connor. I to have good days and bad days. Today has been a good day. Love Sharon x.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Glad to hear you had a good day today, Sharon. I think a memory cafe is a good idea and hope you can find one near you. Take a look at this link which might help, with a bit of luck:

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?68254-Memory-Cafe-Directory

I wish I could find one for my mam and dad, but am really struggling. There are two possibilities but the days and times are not suitable.

Good luck, do let us know how you get on. Hope you have another good day tomorrow!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm glad yesterday was a good day. Wishing you another one today.

Sarah - you know I have such a quiet voice!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::D

53sharon

Jan 14, 2013
Hello CrativeSarah. Thank you for checking in to see how Iam. I had a bit of a weird night. But okay today. How are you feeling? Did you have a good weekend? Sorry t hear abou your visitor. I know what you mean about people that talk loud or to many people are talking at once. Sorry to hear that you forgot to take your items to church. It does make me angry when i forget to take stuff that I know im going to need. Falls Provension are getting me a differnt stick. It was called a typoid.

Thinking of you x. Sharon.

53sharon

Jan 14, 2013
Hello Bilslin. Thank you for your kind message. Tomorrow im going for the results of a brain scan. There going to comapre with one i had 5 years ago. Iv meet quite a few nice people and its nice to know that there is other people who understand what were going through.

Thank you x. Sharon.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coo