Advice Please

Sam and Dave

Feb 22, 2014
Do you need a Urine sample for an infection,Having a bad day to day with Mil,She is more confused than normal and feeling hot.I had to get a urine sample a couple of weeks ago was very traumatic we all got covered!
Thanks Sam

60's child

Apr 23, 2013
suffolk
Hi
Yes, a urine sample is the best way to check for infection. Someone I know got a sample off her Mum by putting cling film under the toilet seat, not tight, loose enough to catch a sample and then put it into a clean jam jar. Worked for her....!
You could call the Gp and describe her symptoms and see what they suggest?
Good luck
Dee x

Moonflower

Mar 28, 2012
I'm sure somebody with more expertise will be along soon, but I'm sure I've read advice about putting a bowl in the loo to collect the sample. So the person just goes to the loo as usual but the wee goes in the bowl instead of in the loo?

seasidegirl

Mar 4, 2014
Essex
Hi. My Mum lives in a home and what they do is put one of their cardboard sick bowls into the toilet and then she pees as usual. The trick is to make sure you fish out the bowl before she puts toilet paper in it!

The carers then transfer it into a sample bottle. No mess and no stress for my Mum.

Sam and Dave

Feb 22, 2014
Thankyou

Thanks Everyone,Feeling pleased with Myself managed to get a plastic Jug wedged down the loo and get a sample! Took it straight up The Docs and they tested it straight away,No Infection,Shes a bit Snuffly think she has got a bit of a cold,Will see how she goes she has picked up a bit in the last hour

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
the simple dip tests don't pick up absolutely everything - so even if it comes up negative there's a possibility that there could be an infection present - but hopefully not.

I hope she feels better soon!

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
Oh dear.

When I visited her CH this morning. Mum was exceptionally grumpy and rude. I wondered about the onset of another UTI.

Got the cardboard sick bowl took her to the toilet. No chance of co-operation. Apparently no idea what I was asking her to do! :mad:

"Mum, can you do a wee for me please?" (pointing to the loo and giving her trousers a little tug)
"What? a tree?" (pulling her trousers back up)
"A wee, Mum, can you do a wee please?"
(begins reading visible words around her, pointedly ignoring me.)

She read every single notice on every box, the door etc at top speed with a puzzled voice and then marched past me out of the door in a huff.

For me, the problem is getting mum to co-operate! Any ideas welcome!

Dagne

Feb 16, 2013
I don't know if this is medically advisable, as I have no medical training, so someone may come along to correct me. We were absolutely convinced our cousin had a UTI, but it was unthinkable that anyone would be able to manage the logistics of obtaining a urine sample. I managed to persuade the GP to prescribe antibiotics on the strong likelihood, in the absence of a diagnosis (coordinating care agency and district nurses to administer the drugs is another saga I won't bore you with here!). We were proved right, as her symptoms cleared up quickly once she was on antibiotics. I know we have to be careful about antibiotic resistance, and in other areas of life I'm pretty strongly 'anti' antibiotics. But getting a reliable urine sample in some circumstances is easier in the theory than the practice!

Sam and Dave

Feb 22, 2014
Starryuk

You have made me giggle at the end of a very stressful day!(Thankyou).
I dont mean to laugh but its only us that care for people with this that face the strangest of challenges.I had to get a Urine sample 2 weeks ago in hospital for Mil as the Nurses could not coax her.It was midnight and I had been at work until 10.30 pm preparing for a very important visit the next morning,I went straight to the Hospital from work.Anyway I ended in the loo with Mum with one of those cardboard things and she started to wee before she had sat down I was so desperate to get a sample I just put in where I could to get some.It ended up all over Mum the floor and My Suit!!!! that I was still wearing from work. I was crouched on the floor with my prize in my hands (The Sample) I didnt know whether to laugh or cry! I came out all Triumphant! lol

Sam xx

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
Oh my goodness, Sam! What can I say?

But I know exactly what you mean by that 'triumphant' feeling.:D