What help do you need?

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Personally I would want to have been able to go to our GP and been given clear guidance about where to go for practical help, guidance on what benefits were available, what social services might be able to help with, etc, instead of floundering and, for instance, coming across TP purely by chance, which is where I've found answers to most of my questions.

If my mam had broken her leg, I'm sure she wouldn't have had to trawl the internet to find out what to do! Why is Alzheimer's or any dementia treated so differently? But that's a debate for another thread.

Well done for wanting to do something. I hope you succeed and wish you luck.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Well I think you should be applauded for thinking of something so unselfish, and altruistic, and, like others have said, you're welcome in my humble abode any time! I'm a "doing" person, but I seem to be doing a hell of a lot lately!

Again, as others have said, it's a minefield out there, trying to find co-ordinated help and advice. It seems wrong that a carer often has to plead for help, or trawl through the internet, looking for clues.

If only there was a clear short and simply-written leaflet, that gave bullet points as to what you can do, immediately you're given the news that your loved one has AD or Dementia, with telephone numbers, web sites, email addresses etc.

Girlthing, if you want to help carers, there are many that don't drive, and may find minicabs and taxis too expensive. I'm sure if you could offer your services to take them and the person they care for, to medical appointments, or perhaps a Garden Centre, they would be thrilled.

And in order that they feel they're not accepting charity, you could quote an amount that would cover petrol expenses. I'd just love someone to come round and make me a cuppa! Good luck with your plans.

Jaffy

Oct 24, 2013
Ohio USA
As a couple (both 68) we have many needs. I make lists, that is my new profession. One for what I need done, one for what hubby needs done, one for outside, one for inside, one for things we cannot possibly attempt, etc. I have them taped up and the/my idea is that someone will read them and do some when they drop by. My problem is; having dementia myself: when i think something, my brain says "It's done." :confused: When it ISN"T! so I have never told anyone about my lists!!! Jaffy

Dagne

Feb 16, 2013
So great that you want to help, and I understand that you need to gather ideas to see what kind of help people actually want. There's a good model of providing practical support combined with befriending in Homestart, http://www.home-start.org.uk/ where parents of young children are allocated a volunteer to support parents of young children. Unlike a straightforward befriending service, the volunteers can also get stuck into practical tasks like doing the washing-up or whatever support the parents find most useful. This takes the form of a weekly visit. While it would obviously have to have proper safeguards like CRB checks, and some dementia-awareness training, this kind of 'caring for the carers' could bring a welcome break, second pair of hands and help to overcome isolation.

You'll have to decide whether there's a new kind of service which you might want to run yourself that fills a gap others don't already fill. Alternatively, if what you want to offer is already offered by an existing charity, you could organise a group of people to volunteer together.

Whatever course of action you decide, very best wishes for your venture!

Pacucho

Carers support group

Dear Girlthing,

It is great that you want to do something to help support carers, and you have received good advice here.

In my case as a result of caring for my late mum, which had vascular dementia, I set up and run two carer support groups in the area where I live. From my experience what a lot of carers want is the chance to speak about what they are going through in a supportive and confidential environment.

The biggest issue for me was obtaining accommodation free of charge, which I have managed to do via two local churches.

I link up with my local Admiral Nurse service, local Carers Centre and local Alzheimer's Society office.

Finally, please note I did not need to set up a charity to do this.
Hope this helps and gives you some ideas going forward.
Paco