Is there anything more we can do?

snowygirl

Jan 9, 2014
HI, dad was diagnosed the first week in January and has been on meds for a month. After his diagnosis I am sure the consultant said that he would receive a follow up visit with 'one of the team' and an invite to an 8 week cognitive course at the local hospital. So far we have heard nothing more and only had an admiral nurse call in and Social Services due to our own instigation. We also arranged for dad to go to a local Alzheimers group once a week. As we are so new to all this I'm wondering is it normal to not hear anything yet from any other medical professional since his diagnosis? Do we just sit and wait until dad's next consultant appointment or should someone else be coming in to see dad? I have a call out at the Mental Health Unit querying this but they have put me on hold overnight. How do things go on after the diagnosis is made I'm not sure really what to expect and I don't want to appear too pushy(or do I have to be?) but mum isn't good herself so she will not chase up anything. Thanks for your support.

Dancing Demon

Dec 31, 2013
Support

My experience is that if you do not ask you do not get.

You need to constantly push for help and social services involvement, and then push again and push again.

My Dad has just gone into a home, and I will wonder for the rest of my life if we had received more help would the outcome have been different? In fairness probably not but it might have made the journey easier.

Ask for help BEFORE you need it otherwise when you ask and help is 6 - 8 weeks away it is difficult.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Chris

juniepoonie

Jun 11, 2013
essex
hi snowy ,yes for sure don't leave anything don't expect anyone to call you back they rarely do in our experience, we tried the lets be polite an wait an it doesn't happen. just keep on ya dads case an even if you have to call the docs secretary an play the dum card "sorry to be a bother only we havnt heard could I call you back tomorrow an maybe you will have app for us" that kind of thing. help is there you just have to find it. wishing you lots of luck. juniepoonie

snowygirl

Jan 9, 2014
Thanks I haven't heard from the unit so I will call again tomorrow and get some answers!

Scully

Mar 5, 2014
hi snowy ,yes for sure don't leave anything don't expect anyone to call you back they rarely do in our experience, we tried the lets be polite an wait an it doesn't happen. just keep on ya dads case an even if you have to call the docs secretary an play the dum card "sorry to be a bother only we havnt heard could I call you back tomorrow an maybe you will have app for us" that kind of thing. help is there you just have to find it. wishing you lots of luck. juniepoonie

Completely agree.