mentally ill carer caring for mum

chanelno5

Jun 14, 2012
I care for my mother and I am mentally ill myself - I wanted to create a thread for people in this position. I am very stable at the moment and when I was very unwell my mother cared for me. I get plenty of support - I go to a group, the social worker comes a lot, mum goes to a day centre and they are arranging for a carer to come in to prompt her to take her medicine as sometimes I forget. My mum is in the early stages and is not hard to cope with - before I became unwell I worked with the elderly. So anyone out there like me?

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
I think a lot of carers find themselves suffering with mental health conditions as a result of the challenges of caring. Stress, depression, carer breakdown are all related to mental health and I've certainly suffered with stress for sure during this difficult time.

My son has suffered with OCD and autism and have volunteered for a children's section of a mental health support charity for children in my area. So while not being in exactly the same position I am very pleased to meet you and glad you are getting the right levels of support that you need now.

chanelno5

Jun 14, 2012
I think a lot of carers find themselves suffering with mental health conditions as a result of the challenges of caring. Stress, depression, carer breakdown are all related to mental health and I've certainly suffered with stress for sure during this difficult time.

My son has suffered with OCD and autism and have volunteered for a children's section of a mental health support charity for children in my area. So while not being in exactly the same position I am very pleased to meet you and glad you are getting the right levels of support that you need now.

Thanks for your reply Noorza. I experienced ocd when I was a teenager - I had to check repeatedly that all the plugs were unplugged at night and I managed to cure myself by gradually cutting down the amount of times. I have an autistic nephew and also a cousin. My nephew isn't very communicative he loves Thomas the Tank Engine and has a very set routine so he can't cope with occasional events such as birthday parties. My cousin is extremely clever but has no social skills. Nice to meet you too.