Appeal against funding for care home

FlossieA

Feb 25, 2014
Hello,

First time posting.
There is probably a thread running on the forum about this subject but I can't seem to find it. Anyway it is the same old story a system that you think will support you during a really stressful time and social workers who do not seem to understand the meaning of the word social!

Mum suffered a series of strokes last year and has been diagnosed with vascular dementia. We spent sometime almost 3 months looking for a care home. Finally found one (recommended by said social worker) only to be told that they would not be able to fully fund her placement. We have asked for an outline of funding costs (still waiting) and a reason why this decision was made as she is eligible for NHS continuing care as well as social care. Has anyone been through this experience and how do you appeal and make a complaint?
Any information will be helpful as at the moment I am caught between tears of anger :mad: and helplessness! :(

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"... she is eligible for NHS continuing care..."

She should not be asked to provide additional funding.

"Is it possible to pay top-up fees for NHS continuing healthcare?

Government guidance says that patients should never be allowed to pay towards NHS services, so it’s not possible to top up NHS continuing healthcare care packages as you can with local authority care packages.
The only way that NHS continuing healthcare packages can be topped up privately is if you pay for additional private services on top of the services you get from the NHS. These private services should be provided by different staff and preferably in a different setting."

>>>NHS CHC FAQS<<<

Cornishman

May 27, 2013
Hi Flossie

It's a complex subject (partly because the NHS make it so, in order to run things to their own satisfaction) but I recommend you read the NHS Framework Document for Continuing Healthcare and Funded Nursing Care. (Just Google it - it will be there under a Gov.uk website)

I'll try to revisit your posting when I can answer more comprehensively.

Best Wishes

Egeon

Oct 12, 2012
Hello,

First time posting.
There is probably a thread running on the forum about this subject but I can't seem to find it. Anyway it is the same old story a system that you think will support you during a really stressful time and social workers who do not seem to understand the meaning of the word social!

Mum suffered a series of strokes last year and has been diagnosed with vascular dementia. We spent sometime almost 3 months looking for a care home. Finally found one (recommended by said social worker) only to be told that they would not be able to fully fund her placement. We have asked for an outline of funding costs (still waiting) and a reason why this decision was made as she is eligible for NHS continuing care as well as social care. Has anyone been through this experience and how do you appeal and make a complaint?
Any information will be helpful as at the moment I am caught between tears of anger :mad: and helplessness! :(

Has a DST been completed to award continuing care? Sounds to me like they are talking about the basic NHS funded nursing care
http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/what-is-nhs-funded-nursing-care.aspx

This is the fully funded CHC package with no further requirement for any top up:
http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2392.aspx

If a DST assessment hasn't been done, you should ask for one and if turned down for CHC, say that you want to appeal to the person coordinating the assessment and who do you contact to put in the appeal, they should really give this information to you when they turn down the initial assessment