Office of the Public Guardian Visit

Jane Jane

Aug 1, 2011
Hi, I'm about to be visited by someone from the OPG - 9 years after becoming a deputy for my Mother's finances. I have no idea why they are visiiting after all this time but I would like to know if anyone else has been visited and if they asked this question that they are going to ask me (per their letter).

"Contact details - names, addresses and telephone numbers for immediate family and friends of ..........."
"Who visits ............ at her care home?"

I feel that I can't give out addresses and phone numbers or even names of my Mother's friends without their permission, and I am also a bit annoyed that they are asking for this information. Surely I don't have to give personal information out about people who have nothing to do with my Mother's finances or care arrangements. It just seems like prying too much into her affairs to me.

Do they have the right to know anything and everything about my Mother just because she lacks the mental capacity to deal with her own finances?

Jane Jane

Aug 1, 2011
Thanks Kassy, hopefully they won't be as intrusive as I'm expecting then. How long ago was your visit?

Last edited by a moderator:

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Nine years does sound a long time but mine last August was two years after becoming a Deputy. I wasn't told of any questions to be asked, beforehand but the lady was lovely and very helpful
She told me to spend my husband's unspent allowance or the LA would take it as capital. She suggested I bought him a very large screen TV in the place of his moderate one!
The LA didn't inquire about his allowance account but I did buy a bigger TV for his room though not the giant one she suggested!

boomerang

Jun 13, 2012
Hi, I'm about to be visited by someone from the OPG - 9 years after becoming a deputy for my Mother's finances. I have no idea why they are visiiting after all this time but I would like to know if anyone else has been visited and if they asked this question that they are going to ask me (per their letter).

"Contact details - names, addresses and telephone numbers for immediate family and friends of ..........."
"Who visits ............ at her care home?"

I feel that I can't give out addresses and phone numbers or even names of my Mother's friends without their permission, and I am also a bit annoyed that they are asking for this information. Surely I don't have to give personal information out about people who have nothing to do with my Mother's finances or care arrangements. It just seems like prying too much into her affairs to me.

Do they have the right to know anything and everything about my Mother just because she lacks the mental capacity to deal with her own finances?

I had a visit at the very start of my first year with my Mums accounts and was glad he came made me feel better that I was doing it right and I think they do have the right as they are after all protecting the persons with dementia as some people could be doing wrong I wouldnt worry mine was very good and I can ring him if I want to also which I have on two occassions

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tfjala