The Central Scandal

Roland Crooke

Aug 9, 2007
North Yorkshire
This is my first ever post to anything, so forgive me if I break any unwritten law (as Monty Python used to have it). The central point for me of a very moving documentary (Malcolm and Barbara) was B's anger at the fundamental injustice of the Gov'ts refusal to pay for care for people with AD. Quite apart from the indignity of her illness,My mother (war veteran, brave colonial mother) is having to use her savings, accumulated at some cost by my late father, to pay for her care in a residential home, when if she had cancer it would all be paid for. With the huge numbers of people likely to suffer from AD, the Gov't is clearly scared witless at the potential cost of doing so, but will not admit that this is the case.
So while I welcome its recognition that AD is an important national issue, as long as it fails to accept its responsibility for caring for our relatives, I view their efforts as mealy mouthed hypocrisy.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi roland, welcome to TP.

I don't think you'll find any arguments here about the injustice of the lack of funding for AD patients.

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
I agree, it's every aspect though, not only the funding issue.

It seems that everything we try to do is made so complicated and long winded, information is hard to find and we constantly have to shout to be heard.

It is a scandal, but what so many people don't see is that AZ can happen to anyone.................even if it was confined to the elderly population, in a few short years we will be those elderly ones and unless we fight to change things now, our children will be battling the same flawed system.

I don't know what the answer is.................I so wish I did.

Kathleen
x