hello all

worried_daught

Feb 9, 2014
Nr Leeds
Just joined an looking forward to interacting.

I care for my mum,but really,she is my maternal aunt who raised me from the age of two bless her. Its quite difficult at times although am sure I am more fortunate than some. She has secondary health problems and had to have a section of bowel removed last year which was impacted with cancer, poor old darling. Shes so brave, and if I were to say her memory loss has any upside, its that she does not remember the op etc.

I find myself constantly swinging between grief at the loss of her 'old' self , frustration of the present, fear of the future and soooo many points in between.......am thinking I may not be alone.....?

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Hi worried daughter and welcome to TP.

As you suspect, you're by no means alone in having these feelings which you've summed up very well.

I find TP useful in so many ways and often I read posts form others that make me weep. At the same time, to realise that so many people are sharing the same kind of feelings that you are is somehow therapeutic and the realisation that some people are in far worse situations than you makes you count your blessings. Even being able to look back on all the wonderful times you have had with the person you are caring for is more than some carers have,

Keep reading and keep posting.

lil50

Nov 5, 2013
West Sussex
Just wanted to say hello. You have come to the best place to share with others. Sometimes just reading other posts I find such good advice, other times I can let off a little of my own frustration. I have found AD such a truly grim journey I don't think I could have coped as well as I have without this site. Keep reading and posting when you can.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Just saying welcome. You'll find plenty of interaction on TP - and lots of help and support too. It's hard dealing with dementia, both for the sufferer and the carer but the saying of a trouble shared being a trouble halved couldn't be truer than on here.

worried_daught

Feb 9, 2014
Nr Leeds
Ty for the welcome, Stanley, Lil and Saffie.
I shall indeed keep reading, NO doubt asking the same questions that have been asked innumerable times before lol (note to self....use search facility first hahaha).

Flute mum

Jan 25, 2014
Just joined an looking forward to interacting.

I care for my mum,but really,she is my maternal aunt who raised me from the age of two bless her. Its quite difficult at times although am sure I am more fortunate than some. She has secondary health problems and had to have a section of bowel removed last year which was impacted with cancer, poor old darling. Shes so brave, and if I were to say her memory loss has any upside, its that she does not remember the op etc.

I find myself constantly swinging between grief at the loss of her 'old' self , frustration of the present, fear of the future and soooo many points in between.......am thinking I may not be alone.....?

you're definitely not alone!!
Welcome - i only joined last month, and sometimes just the re-assurance that i am not the only person in the world trying to deal with this wretched disease (in one way or another) helps - hope you find help here too.
Take care

worried_daught

Feb 9, 2014
Nr Leeds
Ty for the welcome, Stanley, Lil and Saffie.
I shall indeed keep reading, NO doubt asking the same questions that have been asked innumerable times before lol (note to self....use search facility first hahaha).

worried_daught

Feb 9, 2014
Nr Leeds
you're definitely not alone!!
Welcome - i only joined last month, and sometimes just the re-assurance that i am not the only person in the world trying to deal with this wretched disease (in one way or another) helps - hope you find help here too.
Take care

Ty for the kind words of support....it IS wretched !

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Hello also from me Worried Daughter, a warm welcome to you to Talking Point:) glad (but sad) you have joined us, understanding and support is here by the bucketful whenever you need it, you certainly are not alone now, so look forward to you posting again.
Take care and best wishes
Chris x

bilslin

Jan 17, 2014
hertforshire
To one worried daughter to another. And welcome to TP. Ive only been on this site myself about a month or so. But its helped me a great deal in many ways. there always someone to give you advice or kinds words. So you've come to the right place, even to let off steam when you need to. How long has your mum had this horrible disease. Linda xx

worried_daught

Feb 9, 2014
Nr Leeds
To one worried daughter to another. And welcome to TP. Ive only been on this site myself about a month or so. But its helped me a great deal in many ways. there always someone to give you advice or kinds words. So you've come to the right place, even to let off steam when you need to. How long has your mum had this horrible disease. Linda xx

hi Linda,
its difficult to pinpoint it exactly as for a longish while we put it down to just the 'aging' thing ya know ?
Of course as time went on it became more obvious, although in my case I was in denial. None of like to think of our loved ones retreating from us little by little, day by day I guess, so its easier to 'ignore' it, its not happening to us etc.
I feel that was a cowardly way to handle it now, but I just was NOT handling it at all I think would probably be more accurate to say.

okaliptus

Nov 10, 2011
Scrooge,
Has anyone experienced increasing reluctance to spend money in an Alzheimer sufferer. She lives alone and was diagnosed three years ago,I am her attorney but live 75 miles away, she still signs her own cheques to draw cash but draws very little although there are is no shortage of money.Since she was stopped from driving her current account is increasing by a thousand pounds a month ant thoughts

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point