Tea or not hot tea?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Tea should be given at a temperature ready for drinking even if a little cooler than usual. It`s not rocket science, just common sense.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
It`s not rocket science, just common sense.

I wonder about the lack of common sense. Doesn't seem to exist anymore, with so many people I have to deal with

I'm wondering if it's because people don't learn from their mistakes or maybe not allowed to make mistakes, have to follow procedure so much, so that common sense isn't nurtured.

Not that I'm thinking anyone with dementia/Alzheimer's should be treated as a child... But would that carer have left a young child a cup of tea so hot and not supervised them?

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
I wonder about the lack of common sense. Doesn't seem to exist anymore, with so many people I have to deal with

I'm wondering if it's because people don't learn from their mistakes or maybe not allowed to make mistakes, have to follow procedure so much, so that common sense isn't nurtured.

I totally agree 2jays.

"I don't know what else I could have done differently".
I wonder if the home have in place correct training procedures and incident procedures to follow this up correctly so that the nurse can learn what she could have done differently.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
As an ex-care home worker - unless it was written in the care plan that a person had to be supervised, we were not supposed to do it - and little enough time was allocated in the list of duties to supervise those where it was recognised that they needed support in the care plan, making it really hard to complete the 'tea round' in the time allowed for it anyway . . . but it was a matter of common sense (not discussed with managers, or advised in any training that I attended) that on the tea trolley, we would add a jug with cold water, to top off drinks that might be too hot and pose a danger.

As said - not rocket science!

Austinsmum

Oct 7, 2012
Melton Mowbray
Thanks for your comments. I agree - it isn't rocket science!

Mum kept unravelling the dressings the district nurses put in place - usually at night.
The last nurse said she would order a large adhesive dressing for Thursday.

Meantime, has anyone got any ideas for stopping her removing the dressing?
Would making her wear tights in bed be the answer?

The care home sometimes replaced the dressings and sometimes not. Sometimes they called the district nurse, sometimes not. I can't help feeling that common sense is still not being applied.

The inevitable upshot is that the wound is now infected. We know this because the nurse popped in (she wasn't called out by the home), saw the infection and put a light dressing on and ordered antibiotics.
Any ideas appreciated - I'm really fearful for my Mum's wellbeing.
Sorry no ideas but having read this thread I have to say I feel your angst and want to send you a hug and empathy. X

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
At my mum's home they were careful about that, I think, unless they knew I was there and being careful about it and then they'd leave me with the drink. Most of Mum's drinks were luke warm but I would rather that than that she was scalded. That is poor care and I would complain. :(

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
It would appear that so many things would go so much better if a little common sense were applied, wouldn't they? And I've noticed that the older people get, the less they like really hot drinks anyway. I know by now, William likes things just above warm. Apart from the danger of spillage, there's the danger of them burning their mouths.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Soft hands?

I almost passed this one by and then realised how relevant it is. My husband is a retired carpenter and no softie in the past but recently I have noticed how soft his hands have become since he no longer does manual work. As a result when I hand him a mug of tea I have to be very careful that he has a proper grip of the handle as he is very sensitive to the heat of the container as well as the tea itself. A couple of times I have had to grab it back when I see him react to the heat.

Personally I would prefer a cup and saucer which is safer and looks better but time has voted me out on that one.

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
At mum's home, they have cups of tea rather than mugs, and the tea is not really hot either. Everyone is monitored and some, including mum sometimes, have a two handled beaker with a lid. Her hands are shaky on occasion, and I've noticed this when she comes to my house. I always top up her cup with a little cold water, as when I put it down next to her she picks it up straight away to drink, regardless of temperature, every couple of minutes. I try and make sure it's drinking temeperature striaght away. I can't believe that a nursking home would give a resident a boiling hot cup, it's outrageous.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I would think that tubigrip might help if it is on your mother's leg or arm.

bilslin

Jan 17, 2014
hertforshire
Hi sarby can't believe that they would give your poor mum a cup of boiling hot tea idioms. Hope your mum ok and not in to much pain. Linda xx

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Just another perspective...it was luke warm tea that stopped my mother drinking when in hospital. That and half filled cups. This led to a crisis position where she was refusing both food and drink. Damned if you do and damned if you don't situation I think.

Fiona

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
Yes my Mum also insists on 'very hot tea' (what we would think of as normal) because she hated it being luke warm in hospital. she likes a mug, but not too full. At a course I was on today, they were saying don't give water in a clear glass, as the person's vision may be a bit wonky and they can't spot it sitting on a table. Also that bright colours like red are good for mugs/cups, as they are more visible, as blues and greens and pale colours may fade a bit for a dementia sufferer. That doesn't help with people who have trouble holding things, but just thought it was interesting:)

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
Just another perspective...it was luke warm tea that stopped my mother drinking when in hospital. That and half filled cups. This led to a crisis position where she was refusing both food and drink. Damned if you do and damned if you don't situation I think.

Fiona

I often wonder whether the 'not drinking enough' syndrome is partly due to the drinks they're offered, especially if it's tea. Too hot, too lukewarm, too strong, too weak, too milky, you name it. Maybe even the 'wrong' brand that doesn't taste quite right. Tea can be a very personal matter.

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
I often think that lots of different health care professionals do not actually know how to talk to/deal with dementia patients. They should but whether it is lack of training/lack of common sense/being too young or various combinations who knows? I know my MIL has been diagnosed for 2 yrs now & I'm certainly learning on the job, you just think you have mastered something & it changes, or something else crops ups!!
From often frustrated, often tired, often dis-heartened but found this forum this week & know I will use it often.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
I don't think that some foreign carers understand out tea. My husband's tea is sometimes just milk and water with a touch of tea. I sneak another teabag from the dining room!

Are you not able not make him one yourself? First thing I always do at my mother's CH is make her a cup of tea - easy since it's an open plan kitchen/sitting/dining room and relatives can always help themselves. Even if you are able, it's not much use when you're not there, though. But I think I'd tell them that he likes his tea a bit stronger, please!

Lovleemummy

Jun 13, 2013
Stoke-on-Trent
Thanks for your comments. I agree - it isn't rocket science!

Mum kept unravelling the dressings the district nurses put in place - usually at night.
The last nurse said she would order a large adhesive dressing for Thursday.

The care home sometimes replaced the dressings and sometimes not. Sometimes they called the district nurse, sometimes not. I can't help feeling that common sense is still not being applied.

The inevitable upshot is that the wound is now infected. We know this because the nurse popped in (she wasn't called out by the home), saw the infection and put a light dressing on and ordered antibiotics.
Any ideas appreciated - I'm really fearful for my Mum's wellbeing.

Sarby- tights might be the answer if you cut them down. She could get quite warm with a full pair on. Does your Mum wear a nightie or pyjamas as depending on where the wound is pyjamas could help.

Hope your Mum gets better soon. Can't believe the home let the wound get infected. It's a good that the District Nurse popped in :)

(((Big Hugs))) to you both xx

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Are you not able not make him one yourself? First thing I always do at my mother's CH is make her a cup of tea - easy since it's an open plan kitchen/sitting/dining room and relatives can always help themselves. Even if you are able, it's not much use when you're not there, though. But I think I'd tell them that he likes his tea a bit stronger, please!

I can make a cup of tea at any time I wish and do so. However I was referring to the routine cups of tea the carers make for the residents.
My husband is in a nursing home and on the 'nursing' wing as well which means that the residents here are mainly non-mobile, most are in bed for most of the time and are pretty ill and in need of a lot of care so the carers are very busy.
The reason I take a tea bag surreptitiously is because I have no wish to cause any trouble or offence or to the carers by suggesting their tea is not up to scratch. They make it for everyone on the wing of 20 rooms together in a large tea pot so, rather than ask for something individual, it is easier and kinder, just to take another teabag to strengthen the tea.
This is only sometimes as most of the carers are well able to make a decent cup of tea and I was referring only to the few carers who are obviously not au fait wih our cuppas!

I no longer have any idea how my husband likes his tea as he is unable to communicate in any way and, as we know, with dementia, former likes and dislikes have no meaning. As I have difficulty in getting him to drink his tea whatever its consistency, I don't think it matters about when I am not there. It is just that I wouldn't like to drink very weak, milky tea!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CaronL