to Catheterize or not to Catheterize? that is the question

gingernut45

Mar 7, 2013
Cambrigeshire
My husband is 90 and since September, he wets the bed at nights even though he still gets up for the toilet. He willingly (after periods of "ok, I will" and "shan't, wont, not going to, ok if it keeps you quiet") wears pull-ups and Bed pads (under the sheet or that would be off). It's begining to get to him that he wets the bed every night.
The District Nurse came out, while I was briefly out with my disabled daughter, to fit a 'conveen' catheter (a catheter that fits over the top , not a fully plumbed catheter), but, due to no piping at all, it didn't last long. Do I give it another go with extra piping, or go for a 'fully plumbed' Catheter?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My husband had a real problem with both a temporary catheter and with conveens. He constantly pulled the conveens off and tried his best to pull the catheters out. I found the pulls ups to be no longer useful after he had the catheter in. The continence clinic suggested these slips rather than pull ups or pads. They were a bit of a fiddle to get used to but I'm finding the super level of absorbency good for him -

image.jpg

Wildflower

Apr 6, 2013
Brighton
My dad is nearly 88, and like your husband he wets the bed in the night but still gets up to go for a wee. He also wets himself when he has naps in the day, but still goes to the toilet in between. The district nurse suggested a convene, and even measured him up and ordered one. However, I thought about it and didn't want him to lose the ability to go to the loo when awake and so I declined the convene, and when I told the CPN he agreed with me. Dad uses Tena pull ups and he gets on ok with these. I might consider a convene in the future though. With regard to you wondering whether your husband should have a 'fully plumbed catheter' I would advise not to because they are notorious for causing UTIs. I think it would be better to give the convene another go with 'extra piping'. Out of curiosity, has your husband actually been offered a 'fully plumbed catheter'? and have you been advised of the problems they can cause?

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
My poor old FIL had to have a catheter because of a blockage. He was constantly pulling it out and I believe this is a very common problem where dementia is involved. Unless it is absolutely necessary I would have thought catheters are best avoided in anyone who will not remember why it is there, and that they must leave it alone.

gingernut45

Mar 7, 2013
Cambrigeshire
My dad is nearly 88, and like your husband he wets the bed in the night but still gets up to go for a wee. He also wets himself when he has naps in the day, but still goes to the toilet in between. The district nurse suggested a convene, and even measured him up and ordered one. However, I thought about it and didn't want him to lose the ability to go to the loo when awake and so I declined the convene, and when I told the CPN he agreed with me. Dad uses Tena pull ups and he gets on ok with these. I might consider a convene in the future though. With regard to you wondering whether your husband should have a 'fully plumbed catheter' I would advise not to because they are notorious for causing UTIs. I think it would be better to give the convene another go with 'extra piping'. Out of curiosity, has your husband actually been offered a 'fully plumbed catheter'? and have you been advised of the problems they can cause?

yes, he was offered a "fully plumbed" catheter, but we said no because of the uti risk, and the risk of him pulling it out in a bout of severe confusion. But further down the line, it's a last resort. Thank you.

Catmickmac

Feb 9, 2014
Pads/pants

Hi, I'm new to this! Thinking of everyone dealing with Alzheimer's :) We care for dad at home. We have a real problem with incontinence. Can anyone recommend a brand of pads/pants. We're not keen to go down the catheter route, due to compliance issues. Thanks cat x

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Hi there

When my husband started having problems with incontinence his GP referred him to our local Continence Clinic where they assessed the best way of dealing with his problems. Because of the Alz they ruled out a catheter (see confusion problems above) and suggested disposable pants. After a month or so when they assessed his usage, they advised if using more than 2 a day he was entitled to them free of charge under the NHS. They placed the first order for us, taking measurements for size, capacity, etc, and now I just put in the renewal order when needed and they are delivered. Very good service. Don't know if I can give the company name but I think it is the company used throughout the NHS and am not advertising for them so will take a chance - Paul Hartmann. They have a web site and you can buy on line but it might be as well to talk to his doctor first in case you too can get them free.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Talking Point mobile app

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi, I'm new to this! Thinking of everyone dealing with Alzheimer's :) We care for dad at home. We have a real problem with incontinence. Can anyone recommend a brand of pads/pants. We're not keen to go down the catheter route, due to compliance issues. Thanks cat x

It would be best to get advice for your continence service - possibly through your GP.

nmintueo

Jun 28, 2011
UK