Today's the day

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
30.1.14. The day my mum goes into a care home.

I feel very strange. I haven't had time to prepare because she's going in urgently. Mum says she's ready to go but I'm not truly convinced she really knows what this means. She's talking about being able to pick my children up from school and going for walks. It will be better because she will be living close to me and my family. One thing she does seem to grasp is that she will have company and I'm hoping that's enough for now.

Although I'm nervous and full of trepidation I don't see this as the end. I see it as a beginning. I hope it's a positive beginning.

X

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Morning A G , Wishing you , your Mum & Brother all best wishes & lots of positive vibes for today

Much Love & Kind thoughts

Grove x x

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
That's a lovely way of looking at it AG. And who knows, perhaps she can come with you occasionally to pick up your children from school now that she's closer to you? What a lovely treat that would be for her if it could be arranged.

Is it the home you wanted, or is it the interim home? I've lost track a little.

Good luck, I will be thinking of you both today.

xxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Wishing you luck for today. I know what an ordeal it is, just keep reminding yourself why it is happening.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Wishing you and Mum a happy transition from fear and loneliness to contentment and companionship.

You know my husband settled well though it was, at the time, horrendous for us his family. Now 17 months later I know it was worth the upset we felt at the time because he has all the care his condition deserves and the benefit of trained carers who do understand dementia.

Good luck and stay strong,
Jay

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point mobile app

angecmc

Dec 25, 2012
hertfordshire
I am so pleased your Mum has got her place at the care home AG, I really hope today goes as well as it possibly can for you, we are all here to hold your hand xx

Ange

Candlelight 67

Nov 4, 2013
West Sussex
Good Luck for today. I will be thinking of you and your mother and brother and hope that everything goes as smoothly for you and your family as possible. You really could not be doing anything more for your Mum.

Best Wishes Candlelight 67

fullmoon

May 22, 2013
So pleased mum with have companionship to relieve her anxieties. Also you and your brother will have peace of mind x

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
Best wishes - been there, done that xxxx

The overriding things to remember are mums safety and your sanity. It is great that she WANTS to go - she is obviously feeling that she isn't safe any more. Think how much more reassured she will feel if when she is worried or feeling agitated there is someone around to talk her down

I hope it all goes well

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Well she couldn't wait to get out of her house this morning, told me how happy she was to be leaving. She seemed fine when I left her chatting and ready for lunch but I've just rang and she's got her coat on and is very agitated saying she wants to go home because someone is going to break in and take all her things.

I knew it wouldn't be that easy.

The difference this time is that the carer took the phone from mum and told me not to worry. Of course I will but it's not that awful panic I felt before because I know she can't go out and I know she's not alone.

I will ring again later. Thanks to TP I know this is "normal" xxx

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi Anongirl

Take one day at a time. There will be good days and bad but your Mum is now safe and that's what you want for her.

A new lady started at the CH my Husband is in and from wanting to escape on the first day after one week, even though she still thinks she is going home, she has settled amazingly well.She's eating well and is clean and well cared for.

I know it's hard

Take care

Lyn T

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
You`re sharing the caring Anongirl and no matter how worried you are I know the relief when you can allow others to take over .

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
I think a little white lie might be the way to go. Tell you Mum you or someone she trusts is staying there and looking after it or tell her all her valuables have been put into safe keeping for her. You will probably find some explanation that will calm her fears, might be for just a night but you can do the same next time the problem raises it's head. Carers could also be doing the same.

Did you ring your Mum or did she ring you? If the home rang you then it might have been kinder if they had not. You left feeling really upbeat, no doubt still worrying but she was settled. These episodes are going to happen but it is for the carers to deal with not you. It really is early days. When my husband first went into an assessment unit he spent all day with his coat on and his clothes rolled up and under his arms. He was ready for going home all day and all night. It was around 4 weeks before we arrived and was greeted by him sitting in a chair dressed in just his indoor clothes. He is now settled in his nursing home.

Well done for getting this far and for realising the time has come for hour Mum to have this extra care.

Jay

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sillymom23