recording dementia on death certificates

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
I just spoke to mum's GP and she was going to record her death form as advanced dementia. I asked her to add the type of dementia and explained that it is important to organisations like the Alzheimer's Society to know the type of dementia that people had. if this data is recorded we can use it!

Dill

Feb 26, 2011
England
Hi Soobee

That's good.
Alzeimers disease was listed as cause of death on my dad's certificate. This was a few years ago but I remember the registrar commenting that 'unless dementia was given as cause of death the government would never know the true number of people dying from it.'

Wishing you peace for the days ahead.
Dill

muriel.elliott

Aug 21, 2010
Berkshire
When Bryan passed away i was told by the doctor that Alzheimers could not be put on a Death Certificate as it would not cause it! A number of contributing factors etc.
Love and hugs Muriel xx:confused:

geum123

May 20, 2009
One doctor signed, saying my Dad died of old age.
The second doctor put down dementia, at my request.
I felt it was important so that it was recognised in statistics.

xxxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
There are two causes of death on my husband's certificate . The first is bronchopneumonia and the second is Alzheimer's . I hope Alzheimer's counts in the statistics.

cobden28

Jan 31, 2012
When my Dad died in 2005, listed on the death certificate as the cause of death was 'senile dementia' plus something else that indicated heart trouble. He was 86.

CINDYJANE

Feb 9, 2012
Devon/somerset
My mum died last week in hospital, quite suddenly and unexpectedly. Her death certificate states two causes: Pneumonia and Vascular Dementia...

Three years ago she was diagnosed with "mild mixed dementia" . I don't know how the hospital doctor came to the conclusion he did (he never saw my mum alive) but I would not disagree with this diagnosis. The reason being that my mother had not been able to realise that she was so ill and no-one at the care home realised she had pneumonia until they had to call for an ambulance. She also was not able to properly convey her feelings in hospital either, thus contributing to her premature death.

Last edited: