Falling over

Barney18

Jan 5, 2011
Essex
My hubby has become increasingly unsteady. He's been diagnosed for 3 and a half years now. He can still walk if we take our time and he seems to lean to one side and drag his left leg. He's had a few falls but was always able to get himself up. Now it seems he's forgotten how to do that. The last few falls he's had he took ages to get up. It was like he'd forgotten what to do. He resorted to sliding around the floor on his back because he couldn't get up. Even when I lay on the floor with him and tried to show him how to get up on his knees he couldn't do it and kept falling back down. He gets up eventually but I'm worried what will happen when he's on his own. I still work full time, my daughter comes in twice a week and apart from that we have no other care. My doctor said get him to come in for an assessment but he refuses to go to the doctors. How do others cope with this??

2 young

Sep 4, 2011
north wales
My husband also falls quite often, I've found if I put a dining room chair near him he can use this to lean on and help him up. He seems to know what to do with it as he also has great difficulty without it and expects me to be able to help him up despite being quite a big man. He also has a care call alarm button which he wears around his wrist, this gives me peace of mind if I go out or even if I'm in another room. Hopes this helps a little.

Irishgirl57

Jan 21, 2014
Florida, USA
My hubby has become increasingly unsteady. He's been diagnosed for 3 and a half years now. He can still walk if we take our time and he seems to lean to one side and drag his left leg. He's had a few falls but was always able to get himself up. Now it seems he's forgotten how to do that. The last few falls he's had he took ages to get up. It was like he'd forgotten what to do. He resorted to sliding around the floor on his back because he couldn't get up. Even when I lay on the floor with him and tried to show him how to get up on his knees he couldn't do it and kept falling back down. He gets up eventually but I'm worried what will happen when he's on his own. I still work full time, my daughter comes in twice a week and apart from that we have no other care. My doctor said get him to come in for an assessment but he refuses to go to the doctors. How do others cope with this??

I am so sorry, this is so sad. The unsteadiness is unnerving from me the patient also. Some days I am good, other days I walk with the shillelagh to steady myself. Sometimes I will become unsteady, and I go to lean on something if there's nothing there I just fall over... Thank goodness I have never hurt myself badly, just bumps and bruises. I can say it freaks my husband out though

Sending big hugs

Barney18

Jan 5, 2011
Essex
Thank you both for your replies. How does the care call button work? I'm not sure if this would help as I don't think he would know how to use it plus his speech has practically gone. Irishgirl I can't imagine how you must feel having this disease as my hubby would never talk about it. I guess we all do what we can to get along xxx

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
The Telecare systems can be set to report on a fall even if they can't speak or press the button. A nominated person would be contacted or the emergency services if the Telecare worker felt that was appropriate.

You don't need to talk or press buttons but it's set to suit the person's needs. Mum just presses her button and I get the call, then a secondary family member is next if those two fail it's 999.

If he falls again and he can't get himself up, it is absolutely fine to call 999, I've done that dozens of times with mum they don't mind as it is a genuine emergency and are trained to life larger people.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
How can a telecare system work if the user cant/wont /doesn't have the ability to press a button if/when they fall?

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
How can a telecare system work if the user cant/wont /doesn't have the ability to press a button if/when they fall?

The alarms can be set to go off if they fall, I am not sure of the technicalities of it but the sudden jolt from a fall can set it off without pressing buttons or making calls. The Telecare people then alert the people on their list, failing that the emergency services.

http://www.telecare.org.uk/health-social-care

Last edited:

2 young

Sep 4, 2011
north wales
Your question has already been answered but just wanted to add it is well worth enquiring if care call/telecare can help you because they can offer a wide range of things that can make life easier and safer for you and your husband.