Cost of Power of Attorney

Sringtime

Jan 9, 2014
Cheshire
Hello, Can anybody advise me on the cost of LPA please? We have been advised that I need to apply for this, re my husband, both health and financial. Our finances are very straight forward and I feel we really dont need this part, however because of family complications I think it advisable that I apply for the health part, for my husband to cover anything unforseen which may arise in future years. When we went to see a Solicitor last week she said the total package would be about £1500! I was shocked at the cost to say the least and cannot afford it, is there any way we can have it done cheaper?:confused:

Silver Lining

Nov 20, 2013
Hello, Can anybody advise me on the cost of LPA please? We have been advised that I need to apply for this, re my husband, both health and financial. Our finances are very straight forward and I feel we really dont need this part, however because of family complications I think it advisable that I apply for the health part, for my husband to cover anything unforseen which may arise in future years. When we went to see a Solicitor last week she said the total package would be about £1500! I was shocked at the cost to say the least and cannot afford it, is there any way we can have it done cheaper?:confused:
We have just had two LPA's done for Financial and Health for both of us - the cost was £895 plus vat (cheaper to have done in this block of four as I do not know about my situation in the future) plus Legal fees to the Office of the Public Guardian to register them, which is £55 per LPA if your income is under £12000 per annum and £110 each for income over £12000 per annum. They are so complex I would not even attempt to do them online as you cannot afford to make mistakes. Hope this helps.

MERENAME

Jun 4, 2013
scotland
You can do it yourself. I am in Scotland so slightly different, but I did it for both parents and it wasn't that difficult.

If there was a lot of money involved I would have used a solicitor but there wasn't.

I used the examples on this website

www.publicguardian-scotland.gov.uk/docs/POA Guide.pdf‎

as templates. I changed them of course to suit each parents wishes then the consultant certified their capacity.

Mums hasn't been registered yet as she still has capacity but I didn't have any problems registering my Dads.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
I completed an LPA (Finance) for an elderly relative last year and the cost was £130 or thereabouts to register it.

A friend had a lawyer do one for her Mum and she didn't get change from £2,000, which is scandalous.

If the finances are simple, it is easy to do - as long as you read everything you have to complete, and adhere to every necessary detail. Then check it all several times.

An LPA is a critical document so needs to be done seriously. Why not download the forms and review whether you think you could do it?

That's what I did. I initially thought it might be too much, but in the event it was a simple process, and the Court of Protection people are helpful.

The most important thing is that the person for whom the LPA is made has to understand what it is.

I'm not a legal expert, so may be corrected on any of this. I only speak as I found the process for us.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Why not try doing it yourself using the on-line tool.
Details are <<<HERE>>>
It does not cost anything to try and you can stop at any time if you feel you are getting out of your depth. You would still have to pay the registration fee.

You said the finances are simple and implied that a financial LPA was not necessary. Without this LPA if your husband lacked capacity access to any bank accounts, HMRC, private pension providers, utility suppliers and insurers in his sole name would be locked.

Lovleemummy

Jun 13, 2013
Stoke-on-Trent
Have only done a Court of Protection but have a look on line at Alzheimer's Society or AgeUK they give good advice. I used a company who did all the paper work over the phone.
Good Luck Springtime.

Last edited by a moderator:

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
We had POA drawn up for both of us with two daughters being named. This covers financial and welfare issues. The cost in Scotland was £600 in total and that is registered and copies signed by all parties. It is a lot of money but good to know that all legalities are covered. Today I went back to the solicitor to add a codicil tomy will and there was no charge. Do a bit of phoning around lawyers to see what their charges are.

MERENAME

Jun 4, 2013
scotland
I'd just like to point out that it is worth doing both as you will need the financial one if you ever need or want to go down the direct payments route.

paddingtonbear

Apr 27, 2013
LPA Health & Welfare is £130,same for LPA Property & Financial; maybe eligible for exemption or 50% remission. I filled in my parents forms - my only advice would be slow & steady & don't give up. The Public Guardian Office staff are very helpful. If I can do it,anyone can!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Talking Point mobile app

paddingtonbear

Apr 27, 2013
Oh just to say I didn't do parent's LPA online - Office of the Public Guardian sent me forms & relevant guidance books, I personally found this easier. Their phone number 0300 456 0300, they are very helpful. Good luck

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Talking Point mobile app

Bubsho

Oct 24, 2013
London
I think the most important thing is that you do what's best for your personal situation, if you feel happy doing it all online then go for it, we must remember that every situation is unique and everyone is different.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The on-line tool is far better than the previous method of downloading the form and then filling it in. The tool won't let you forget to tick a choice of boxes or omit names and addresses etc. As long as you don't try to add 'clever' clauses there is not much to go wrong.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"...Could I just ask please, how do the forms get signed if they are filled in online?.."

You print them off get them signed and then send them with application to the OPG for registration.

The online system gets rid of inconsistencies and omissions and enables data to be typed in without the ability to edit PDF files.

Sringtime

Jan 9, 2014
Cheshire
Online Forms

Hello,:) Again thank you so much for your invaluable advice, which hopefully will have saved us a small fortune. I took advice and have filled out the necessary form for Lasting Power of Attorney, health and personal welfare using the online tool, which I found very easy to do and took about 10 minutes. They are all signed and witnessed. Have just downloaded the certificate and paid the relevant amount and will now post it off. And hopefully all will be acceptable, I should recieve them back within about 4 weeks and if so and it all goes smoothly We will do the same for LPA for financial affairs.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Well done, but

"And hopefully all will be acceptable, I should recieve them back within about 4 weeks"

for 4 read 9.

Right hand side - current registration time is 9 weeks.
http://www.justice.gov.uk/forms/opg

You will get notification that it's OK subject to any objection well before the 9 weeks.

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
All this info is so useful.:) i am going to try to do the forms myself. Annoyingly i don't have a printer up here, so I am going to have to wait for the forms, Is says they take 14 days to arrive. seems rather a long time, we shall see.:confused: