Which CGG

Debsmum

Jan 22, 2014
Hello everyone,

My mum has advanced alzheimers and is a residential home with EMI care.
We manged to arrange for a full NHS continuing care assessment to be done for my mum ( my sister and I have joint LPA ). During the meeting my sister and I were under the impression that mum would only qualify if she was in a nursing home and we consequently didn't really fight her corner.
the assessment was carried ot by Central Manchester CGC but I don't know why? Her house is in Baguley ( which is in South Manchester ) but she is now in a care home in Gatley, Stockport ( which is a different CGG ).
We are about to appeal the refusal from the first meeting ( Central Manchester CGG ) but wonder if instead we can just ask for her to be assessed by a different CGG?

Austinsmum

Oct 7, 2012
Melton Mowbray
You need to download the National Framework for Continuing Health Care and eat, sleep and breath it till you know it off by heart. One section is devoted to explaining what happens if an applicant has a GP in one area and lives in a Care Home in a different area - and other similar examples.
The Framework is the rule book to cover the Continuing Health Care assessment. By reading it you will know if the assessment was conducted properly - e.g. you should have been fully informed of the process and been given information about it prior to the assessment so's you could contribute. The Framework also tells you what to do if you wish to appeal or to get a new assessment done because the first one wasn't done correctly.
Pull up a chair because it's a long read...!

Debsmum

Jan 22, 2014
Thanks for the advice.
I have had a quick look at the NHS draft document on who pays for what but it doesn't really apply because she was declined funding.
I am also puzzled as to why Central Manchester CGG did the assessment when mum lived in South Manchester.
I wll have a read of the framework document you mentioned:)

Worried Nurse

Jan 30, 2013
It could be that South Manchester CCG no longer have a dedicated team and Central Manchester CCG are commissioned by them to undertake the work. Areas have been carved up in reorganisation. Just ask them for clarification.