Has anyone else experienced this?

velo70

Sep 20, 2012
Devon
I want to go home.

I wonder if 'going home' is not a place but a previous time. Like an enjoyed happy family life, where mum and dad did all the worrying and cooking and all the providing . Maybe an era that is etched somewhere in the mind and psyche of when our loved one was young and all seemed well in the world. I was thinking of when, say, soldiers and serving men and women think of 'home'. Conjours up home and family, Sunday roasts, Saturday nights at the local hop or disco, more carefree times.

Bubsho

Oct 24, 2013
London
I posted a comment about random comments from my Husband asking about other people in the house to which quite a few of you responded - Thank You. It certainly helps to know that this seems quite usual behaviour.

Are you like me wondering what the reason is for what is happening and would it help you to know the reasons or have you enough to cope with already? Does this make sense!

I do love you Mum you inspire me so much not to give up!

Bubsho

Oct 24, 2013
London
SAD Times

I've just come of the phone feeling really sad talking to my Dad, I just can't have a logical conversation with him anymore and I'm so frustrated because I keep trying to but bless him he can't make sense of it. I feel like I'm going through the grieving process and I feel so selfish because of this. I love my mum sooo much and he is being so mean to her and he can't help it! I just feel that I can't reach him at all. :(:( or help my mum because I feel so far away! Feeling really blue x

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hi bubsho My husband talks about people in the house, we only have one bedroom he asks me where do they all sleep, so l say they must sleep on the floor that seems to make him feel better as he worries about where they sleep, he also asks me if l sleep in our bed as he can't remember me being there when he wakes up, this is a daily occurence so you just get use to it, we all seem to get the same problems which is nice to know we are not the only ones suffering.
Pamann

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Talking Point mobile app

pittheath

Dec 30, 2013
Bedfordshire
so it's not just me - thank goodness

My husband regularly makes 3 teas for 2 of us. When I point it out he says that'someone' might want it. When he forgets that for 40 years I have not taken milk - he says 'no-one has told him'. If I speak to him from another room - when he doesn't respond he then says he thought I was talking to '.those people'. For a long time I thought that I was going mad - but realise this is some sort of phenomena from AD. I find it very hard to accept these weird changes and feel my OH is disappearing before my eyes. P

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
We never need to put out sugar because no one we know takes it, but after a workman who did take sugar in his tea had been with us for a few days my husband started asking me if I take sugar. Weeks later and he still asks.

He also asks me every night where I'm going to sleep....after more than fifty years of sleeping beside him! That was triggered after I slept in the spare room for a few nights last year due to a cough that kept us awake.

He also asks "who's in the house?" for ages after we've had visitors, and " do we have any dogs in the house?" for weeks after we've been visited by a dog.

We spent Christmas night at our son's. Since then he asks " Where are we?"when he wakes up in the night or the morning.

Seems to me that regular routines keep him comfortable, mentally, but small changes from the norm trigger uncertainty that can go on and on.

Silver Lining

Nov 20, 2013
Isn't this just a brilliant Site

How else would we all get to know about these problems, we would be thinking it was only happening to us! Thank you everyone.SL.:)

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
How else would we all get to know about these problems, we would be thinking it was only happening to us! Thank you everyone.SL.:)

And so say all of us! The reassurance in knowing that you're not the only one, is priceless. Any lurkers wondering whether to post or not, only have to read a few threads to know that we all suffer from severe overcrowding in our homes, because of the imaginery intruders, that there are good days, bad days and those you shudder to remember, and that if you've met one person with Alzheimer's ........ you've met one person with Alzheimer's.

Our loved ones can be aggravating, unpredictable, loving and distressing, and display inappropriate behaviour, but we all know what to do if that happens - give 'em a few slices of ginger cake! ;)

Serato

Oct 13, 2013
West Country
Twins

Walking to shops, hand in hand with OH, having woken up in same bed, helped in shower, get dressed, (Assume my name is Robert)

What day is it today?
Thursday.
What date?
16th.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Thanks, but it isn't my birthday today.
Oh, when is your birthday?
24th.
That's strange. That's the same date as Robert. Where were you born?
Watford.
Gosh, I wonder if you are twins, has anybody ever asked you?
Who am I?
Dad.
Who is Robert?
My husband.
Where is he?
I don't know I haven't seen him for ages.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Walking to shops, hand in hand with OH, having woken up in same bed, helped in shower, get dressed, (Assume my name is Robert)

What day is it today?
Thursday.
What date?
16th.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY
24th.
Watford.
Who am I?
Dad.
Who is Robert?
My husband.
Where is he?

Sorry to laugh, but the conversation sounds so familiar! :D

Serato

Oct 13, 2013
West Country
Thanks Scarlett, I feel so guilty when I laugh at these conversations, but the logic & twists and turns just catch you off guard. So I'm pleased other people cope in the same way, better than picking an argument.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Thanks Scarlett, I feel so guilty when I laugh at these conversations, but the logic & twists and turns just catch you off guard. So I'm pleased other people cope in the same way, better than picking an argument.

Absolutely! At one time I was adamant that I would always correct John, and my rationale was that this would stop him imagining things. Fast forward a year or so, and I realise it was futile, daft and upsetting for both of us.

It's just so much easier to go with the flow, and if it helps our loved ones, and avoids an argument - that's good enough for me!

Bubsho

Oct 24, 2013
London
I think the most important thing is that we all keep communicating as much as possible! It's sooooo hard not to take it personally though, my Dad was really upset at me tonight because he thought I was treating him like a child. I couldn't get hold of them all afternoon on the telephone because they had forgotten their mobile phones and because I live in London if I can't get hold of them I worry as they don't have anyone near by to help. My Dad was swearing and yelling at me but I know it's the Alzheimer's and actually I realised he has had this for quite sometime as I remember similar mood swings like this have been going on for years. I need to build a strong self fuelled with compassion and love so we can battle the years ahead and try and be absolutely happy!

Serato

Oct 13, 2013
West Country

What day is it today?
Thursday.
What date?
16th.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY
24th.
Watford.
Who am I?
Dad.
Who is Robert?
My husband.
Where is he?

SATURDAY (above was Thursday)

Oh, did I tell you, I met someone called Robert the other day.
No what happened
What's you name?
Robert Easton
That's odd, so was his. Do you think you'd like to meet him? He lives around here.
No, I don't think so, sounds confusing.
Yes, it is all rather strange.

Barlemo

Apr 23, 2012
:D:D:D Had to share this one. When John woke this afternoon, he asked if I was going dancing again, and if I'd be in late :eek: as I keep waking him up, when I get home.

I calmly said that I wasn't dancing, and he then said "Do you like dancing with him?", so I said "who do you mean"? He gave a big sigh and said, quite sharply, "Donald Pearce". :eek::eek:

For those of you who are under 100 ;) I seem to remember he sang on the Billy Cotton Band Show, on the wireless on a Sunday morning!

So funny Scarlett - thank you for making us laugh