You know it will happen, but...

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello Sally , Also thinking of you & hope the service goes smoothly & wishing you strength in reading the Poem

Much Love & Kind thoughts

Love Grove x x x

sallyc

Aug 20, 2008
suffolk
That's it. Grandad is gone. He's now buried. Back where he wanted to be. With Grandma.

I read the poem without crying. I'm glad I did it for him.

So much more to say but I'll do that later.

Oh...and the girls managed the whole service. My cousin took them, looked after them and took them straight to the "party" after while we went to the cemetery. So proud of them xx

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
I'm so glad your girls went and so will they be when they are grown up ladies. And well done to you for reading such an emotive poem. I couldn't have done that xxxx

sallyc

Aug 20, 2008
suffolk
Sorry I haven't replied. I didn't know what to say.

I'm missing my Grandad. No great surprise there, I guess.

I did say I would write about the funeral. It was good, I think. Do you know? There were over 140 people in that church, wanting to say goodbye to my Grandad. Amazing, really, at 91 years old, and 4 and a half years since he moved away.

So many people, and they all had so many good things to say about him. I'm proud he was my Grandad.

The burial was honestly one of the hardest things. Because it was a shared plot with my Grandma, it was almost like reliving the pain of her funeral, as well as his. The difference was that at Grandma's, my lovely Grandad physically held me up. Without him I would've been on my knees. After the church, I kept asking "Who will hold me up this time?" Of course, my Dad held my arm the whole time and I cried such raw, painful tears.

There was a lot of good in the day, too. I met people I haven't seen since I was the girls' age. I met people who I'd never met. I met the man who made my Grandad president of his car club, who told me that what was traditionally "Jack's run", then later The President's Run, will now be the Jack Hooper memorial run. It's in April and I'm hoping, somehow, to go.

One of my childhood friends came with her now (slightly wayward) 14 year old daughter, my Goddaughter. I haven't seen her for a long time. I had a message a couple of nights ago to say that Morgan thinks her long distance godmother is "well cool" and that she has asked her Mum if they can come down here and visit for a few days in the summer.:)

So, once again, my Grandad has been responsible for good things in my life.

I miss him so much, it hurts. Dad rang this morning, and I was sure he was going to say he was going over to visit Grandad and ask if I wanted to go (which of course, I did) and then I remembered.

Work is keeping me busy so the days are ok. It's the evenings, and the nights that are difficult. I'm not sleeping brilliantly, and I often dream of Grandad.

Thank you all so much for your support xx

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Sorry you're missing him Sally. 140 people. Wow. I think there were 11 at my mums funeral. Me and my sis and our families, my next door neighbours, and one carer from the home.
I'm glad you made contact with your goddaughter again. A trip sounds just the thing.
Work is good therapy.
Take care xxxx

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Just to say I'm still thinking of you often Sally and hope you are ok. I'm sure the girls are keeping you occupied and I know Owen will be looking after you as well as that wonderful family of yours. How's your dad doing. Take care xxxx

sallyc

Aug 20, 2008
suffolk
Thank you Pied

Dad's throwing himself into sorting out all the probate stuff for Grandad's estate. My sister and I both agree that it's going to hit him hard once that's all done. For now he's keeping busy with "Grandad" stuff, and that's filling the hole in his time, and still Grandad related so he's ok.

Beth (just 7) asked me on Friday why Gran (my Mums mum) cried at Great Grandad's "ceremony". I explained that she had known him even longer than Beth, or I, had and that's why she felt sad. Then Beth asked me why Great Grandad wasn't there :eek:. I explained that he was there, in the coffin at the front of the church. She looked at me so truly shocked! I asked had she not realised that's where he was and she said no...she thought it was someone else! :eek::rolleyes::(

Poor thing. No wonder she seemed fine at the funeral!

Yesterday I asked Dad how Grandad was. I actually got half the words out before I realised! God this is hard xx

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Oh dear poor little Beth. It's a tricky age - 7- Sort of too old not to realise but too young to fully comprehend what's happening. It's a difficult time because you are caught between two generations and doing your own grieving in the middle of all that is hard. I'm glad your dads keeping busy with probate. It's a funny feeling when it's all done - I remember the lady at the bank was really sweet that day - she said a lot of people find that day hard. I still have to go and sort out the money which is just sitting in an account but while it's there I still don't have to face the fact it's all done. It still feels like I'm looking after it for Mum. :(

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
old ginger