Can I bar CPN from visits to NH?

treecol

Mar 22, 2013
I asked a few weeks ago if I could refuse visits from Dad's new bullying CPN to which I discovered from you I can !! Dad goes into respite on Monday possibly for a month as we've got to have essential work done in the house & it'd be impossible for Dad to be here during that.
I cancelled the CPN at the beginning of January but he's due on the 31st. I'll cancel again, but I won't tell him Dad's in respite. But if the CPN manages to find out Dad's in respite (maybe via SW) I'm worried he'll visit Dad without my knowledge. So can I tell them home that Dad cannot have any visitors? Can I insist they do not allow this CPN access to Dad. The thing is, I need to keep this CPN away as he wants to re-access Dad to try to put him in care against my wishes. I'm so worried that the CPN would section Dad behind my back (he implied this at his last visit) Thank you again if you can advise.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
I'm not sure you can, as the CPN is assigned to look after your Dad.
I would get in touch with the team and tell them you would like another CPN to look after your Dad as you have no confidence in the one that he has.

juniepoonie

Jun 11, 2013
essex
im not sure but do you have power of eterny over your dads health an welfair? if you do I think you stand a better chance. hope you can sort something out soon juniepooie

clio_7

Dec 28, 2012
north lanarkshire
Does your dad have a social worker? My dads CPN wouldn't listen to any of my concerns etc and I just went to SW and got things sorted there. Your dads CPN sounds like a pain. Id look to lodge a complaint against him if you've made it clear you're doing things your way, and like someone else asked if you have LPA for welfare. .remind him of that.. try get your dad integrated day care.. these things helped me and dad but kept cpn etc in their place.

Hope u get some solution soon..

Clio x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Talking Point mobile app

blueyorkie

Dec 30, 2013
It's a real shame you are having such a negative experience with this CPN, I'm so sorry to hear that. I am a CPN and in my opinion you should call the team manager, explain the difficulties and ask if you can swap to someone else. We are there to care co-ordinate, monitor meds and mental health amongst other things and if you have a good CPN, this can be a really helpful intervention for the client and their carers/family, not something that you try to avoid, it must be awful for you. I am only too aware that there are good and bad in mental health services, but if the relationship is not beneficial then maybe there is someone else in the team that would work better WITH you. I hope you can get this problem resolved and get somebody more helpful in place.

blueyorkie

Dec 30, 2013
Oh forgot to say, cpns cannot section people, they would have to make a request for this to an approved mental health professional, who would then need to assess with two section 12 doctors, only after this process, which is known as a mental health act assessment could your dad be deemed detainable or not detainable under the Act.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
It's a real shame you are having such a negative experience with this CPN, I'm so sorry to hear that. I am a CPN and in my opinion you should call the team manager, explain the difficulties and ask if you can swap to someone else. We are there to care co-ordinate, monitor meds and mental health amongst other things and if you have a good CPN, this can be a really helpful intervention for the client and their carers/family, not something that you try to avoid, it must be awful for you. I am only too aware that there are good and bad in mental health services, but if the relationship is not beneficial then maybe there is someone else in the team that would work better WITH you. I hope you can get this problem resolved and get somebody more helpful in place.

I had the same problem with Pete's CPN. She had no heart and was terrible at her job. I complained to the head of the MH services and SS's and from then on she visited with another person. I could barely look at her let alone talk to her. But at least there was a witness to her inability to do her job well.She was eventually moved to another dept. Poor them

Pete's new CPN is lovely-informative and gets things done.

Take care

Lyn T

Last edited:

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
I don;t think you can bar a CPN, they are assigned to your mum and not you and you have no power of veto over your mum's health care. She could herself refuse of course, unless it was deemed she had no capacity.

As has been said before a CPN *cannot section anyone*, they simply do not have that authority.

The very most they could do would be to trigger a section process but this would mean that an approved social worker and two doctors would all have to agree that a section was appropriate. It is very much a last resort and can only be used if a patient is putting their own and/or others' health and/or welfare at immediate and substantial risk.

So it cannot happen on a CPN's say-so and they would have to have substantial evidence before the doctors and social worker came to assess the situation for themselves and from everything you have sai it is almost impossible to imagine that a section order would be considered.

Even if this happened, the Nearest Relative (what used to be called Next of Kin) can discharge someone under section, although the consultant in charge of the case at the hospital can issue a certificate to prevent this. So that involves yet another doctor.

Sections are actually extraordinarily difficult to organise - my dad was sectioned, his own GP initiated the process, we were pretty desperate at that point and it took two days for the social worker and other doctors to turn up! And that was with serious pushing from myself (lots of phone calls to his consultant's office) and our GP pushing as well. And we wer elucky. they all turned up last at night and it turned out the consultant had worked miracles to get it done so fast.

They were here about three hours and it involved assessments by the two doctors and then just the social worker with my dad and us and we all had to agree it was the only way.

treecol

Mar 22, 2013
thanks once again for the help. I do have LPA but I will keep the CPN at arms length till Dad is home then I'll request another one instead of him.
I don't need to have stress added to the whole situation by this person.

Lancshiker

Apr 17, 2013
The CPN works for the community services provider commissioned by your local CCG (clinical commissioning group or what used to be called a health authority) . If you have concerns about this individual, make a complaint. They are contractually obliged to investigate it. Bullying is unacceptable and grounds for dismissal.