Streeter

streeter

Jan 15, 2014
I am new to the Forum so really not sure if I am in the right place right now. I don't have partner with dementia but I do have parents that do have dementia and I need some advice if there is anyone out there that can help. My Dad is the main carer for my mother who has alzheimers but my Dad's mental capacity is diminishing slowly so he is finding it difficult to remember to do things during the day. One of the main problems is that he doesn't remember to take Mum to the toilet on a regular basis and she is having accidents as a result of this. Does anyone know if there is anything out there we can maybe set a 3 or 4 hourly alarm that can remind dad to take Mum to the loo. Or any other ideas please if you think they might help.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
My first port of call would be to get Mum referred to an incontinence nurse, the alarm sounds like a good idea, a white board with reminders on it might be useful.

Your Dad could benefit from a carers assessment to identify what help he needs in supporting Mum. I am thinking of carers going in to help with personal care.

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
I agree that if your dad hasn't had a carer's assessment he should have one to see what help he can get in looking after your mum, it isn't just about outsiders coming in, they can provide other things too.

My mum has pull up pants which are very good if she has accidents, dad takes her to toilet after meals so they are usually ok.

I am a bit cheeky in asking this I suppose but when you say your dad is losing capacity do you mean he has AD or something similar as well? If so I would ask for another carers assessment and be there with him to support and ensure he doesn't say everything is "fine"

Tinytim

Dec 21, 2013
Hi streeter there a thing called telecare you can access it through adult services i had a digita thing for my hubby to remind him to take is tablets you can set them on a regular timetable my husbands was for 4 to 5 times aday try them and find out it works x

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Talking Point mobile app

tp18

Oct 8, 2012
Can you get him a second hand mobile phone (minus its SD card) and program the alarm to go off on a regular basis through the day?

Somewhere on here, for a completely different reason, someone mentioned that they used a mobile phone as an reminder for something (sorry to sound so vague with all the "somethings" !).

What they did was program the phone not to ring with a ring, but with a pre recorded voice message, so all they had to do was dial the number, and the "ring" tone was actually a message saying "dont forget to do whatever it was"