A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
I think that It is still necessary to turn on an air flow mattress - well that's what I've read and been told. They still turned my mum. I don't know if that's right. In any case I wished they'd have left Mum in peace but they insisted.
The morphine should be there as soon as it's needed. I'm sorry you had to drive out for paracetamol.
I read that restlessness can be caused by a myriad things. It can be tricky to pin down one cause.
It may be Dhiren is not thirsty but has a dry mouth. You could try an artificial saliva spray. These are very pleasant - you just spray them in the mouth - they are minty or lemony in taste. About £8 from the chemist or see if Dhiren is written up for one.
Don't worry that he is thirsty or hungry. These sensations go as the body doesn't need food. If he was hungry, he'd have let you know.
In my thoughts xxxx

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
I'm so glad you had Paul with you as you searched for an open pharmacy. I hope you have a less stressful day today. Thinking of you all today and sending love.

flowerpot

Jul 27, 2010
Rural North Northumberland
Sylvia I'm so sorry that you had such a run a round trying to get the prescription it's a shame you weren't told that you could buy it in the first place!

Hope today is more peaceful for you all and as always I'm thinking of you with total admiration and respect.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I'm pleased you managed to get the medicine, you shouldn't have had such a hard time though, I am thinking of you both today and hope Dhiren is painfree and peaceful xx

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
Your post is one of the first I look for when I come in in the evening. I remember those final few weeks with Mum only too well, not knowing how long it would go on for.

All I can say at this stage is go with your heart. Mum had no morphine, but the only time I saw recognition from her in her final few days was as she was turned once overnight, just before she died. She was sore, but the pain of movement having lain still. She did not talk, or move, but was totally at peace. My Dad had morphine, even though we knew that to remove his pain could cause respiratory failure, but we did not want him to suffer and so we agreed to an increased dose.

Both were right for the presentations they had and how they were handling the process, each person is different.

Hope that you, Dhiren and Paul can find comfort and peace. You are a wise lady Sylvia, and I know that you will make the right decisions for you all.

Love
Mameeskye

winda

Oct 17, 2011
Nottinghamshire
I hope Dhiren is calm and peaceful today Sylvia. And I hope the DN is helpful.

Thinking of you all still x

Just to say that my husband had morphine as I wanted him kept out of pain. It helped him to sleep some of the time but he also had periods of wakefulness when he was very calm and responsive when we spoke to him. I still think it was a good decision.

Last edited:

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Oh dear Sylvia.
My goodness me, that has to be one of the most painful things to read.
What a charade to get paracetamol.

I don't know about you but I would want morphine, I would want to be comfortable even if it took me to the edge and beyond.

I can't imagine how you're coping with your thoughts, never mind your days and nights.

I can only send you my thoughts and wishes that all things will become easier and peace and love will reign.

If sending love helps, I send it with abundance along with respect and admiration. XXX

Thinking of you xx

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Still thinking of you all. xx I just wanted to reassure you about the morphine from a personal experience. I was intensive care following the birth of my son with eclampsia and was on morphine every 4 hours, though I was critically ill, it brought over waves of euphoria, I was still able to talk and understand what was happening to me, but I just didn't care about how serious it all was. It was a lovely worry free feeling of complete relaxation.

Everyone is different but if I need it again, hopefully not, I'd have it.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
The carers are still turning him every two hours according to instructions from the DN, but I`ve been told now the airflow mattress is in place this isn`t necessary.
Sylvia, as you know, Dave is in a nursing home and spends a lot of his time in bed. He has a hospital bed and an airflow mattress and he is turned every 2 hours throughout the night as I have read it on his record sheets. I daresay it might be a case of balancing the danger of pressure sores versus pain and distress on handling for Dhiren.

The obtaining of the liquid paracetamol does seem a bit charadish as Gwen has said. I would have thought that a home, even if not a nursing home, would have such a thing.
I know little about morphine except that Dave reacts so very badly to it. I wonder has Dhiren had to have it before. If it makes him feel calm and at ease, it would surely be a good thing for him.

It's so hard for you Sylvia, it's such an emotional time and all you want is the best for Dhiren and it's difficult to make these decisions for someone you love. You have people here who have experienced this which I have not, yet, so I will say no more but just want to say that I'm with you in spirit and wishing you strength. xxx

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
mum's nursing home doesn't have liquid paracetamol as a backup, she had to be prescribed everything in liquid form in order to get it (they don't do a liquid version of her blood pressure tablets).

I am pretty sure they won't be giving mum a syringe driver. They feel they can manage her pain by other methods (talked about rectal pain relief which acts very quickly).

I am still thinking of you and Dhiren, Sylvia. I hope that he remains relatively peaceful.

sunray

Sep 21, 2008
East Coast of Australia
Thinking of you here too, it sounds a lot like Ray's journey. I remember well that waiting feeling. Wanting so much to bring comfort but knowing they were beyond your reach. I found that very hard to cope with. Hope you are holding on and getting some rest in between visits.

Sue.

Status
Not open for further replies.