Two Problems - Problem one

Raffles

Nov 8, 2008
North Wales
I have had a very stressful week end. 3pm Friday derek had a nose bleed, it pored and he spread it all round the house. Couldn't understand he had to keep the towel by his nose to catch the blood. Called local surgery, pinch nose for 10 minutes ice pack etc;. call out of hours Doctor if still bleeding at 8pm
It just keep on poring so called Doctor at 7pm, told call ambulance came in 15 minutes at A & E taken straight to cubicle mainly because he was putting blood all round the room not because it was his turn. 9pm still not being able to control the flow they courterized it, it still wouldn't stop and at 11.30pm we went up to the ENT Ward. He was kept in for 2 nights, he didn't like staying there was very confused but they were very good and used this new system of a blue butterfly sticker on his notes and his wrist band so anyone who came to him knew he had dementia and had to spend more time with him. Bought him home yesterday, told he was not to pick at his nose, mustn't blow his nose or bend down to the floor amongst other things but first problem how do you stop him. Says his nose is full of snot and must blow it, doesn't understand may make it start again just gets annoyed when I remind him he shouldn't do it and I am sure you all know how many times one has to repeat oneself. Also objects to the antibiotic cream being put in his nose I have struggled back and forward to the hospital seven times in all with a very long walk from car park and along corridors to ward, took me over 10 minutes each way with my walker. What use is a blue badge there and I can't walk far because of my heart problem. He is home now being waited on but I am shattered.
I know you can't help just wanted to have a moan.

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
I'm very sorry to hear about Derek's nosebleed Raffles.:( I don't know what the answer is except to keep a close eye on him. I'm not surprised you are shattered with all those trips and palaver. I had a bad nosebleed recently, plus a heavy cold with it. I had to blow my nose at times but tried to do it gently and only as a last resort. Needed to keep lots of hankies around too. I hope Derek's nose dries up soon. What a worry for you.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
I'm another one with no advice I'm afraid, but just wanted to add my support and sympathy. Whenever I've had a rant on here, whether people can help or not, I feel tremendously supported by others. What a rotten lousy time you're having. :(

kd7279

Jan 13, 2010
Thanet, Kent
I like the idea of the Blue Butterfly on the wrist band and notes. Will have to suggest it to our local hospital.
I'm sure by the same questions I keep getting asked every time my wife goes in to hospital (5 times last year) that nobody reads the file on her.
Keith

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Our local Eye Hospital also uses blue butterflies. Problem was they were so small staff didn't notice them so think they have changed to larger ones now. It saves a lot of explaining each time we visit.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Talking Point mobile app

Lilian&Dave

Dec 4, 2012
Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
Re:Heavby Nosebleeds

My husband also suffers from heavy nosebleeds which seem to come in clusters over three or four days. We presented at the hospital A&E to be kept waiting and monitored to see if it would stop, but on one occasion a kindly doctor put a strong nose clip on which stopped the flow immediately, he told us to leave it in place for 20/30 minutes. We took the nose clip home with us and have used it on many occasions since and have not needed to go to hospital again whilst it has been bleeding. Have had his nose checked and they can't find anything wrong. Perhaps you could ask next time it happens if they have a similar nose clip.

Aquamanda

Jan 8, 2012
That nose clip sounds like brilliant advice. Sorry I can't add any useful medical advice re the nose but regarding the walk to the ward for you - why don't you tell the main reception desk of your problems with mobility as they should be able to call a porter to take you there in a wheelchair if you explain the circumstances.