Can you believe it?

SteveS

Jun 20, 2007
Altrincham, cheshire
We were "pushed" into supplying financial details so Dad's case could go to a panel Monday just gone. The social Worker (using "worker" loosely), insisted that we supply all evidence and the form last Wednesday so the panel could raise their decision and we could all move forward (whether we were ready or not!).

I telephoned the SW team yesterday, because we'd heard nothing and the Hospital said that generally decisions were instant and we should have known by Tuesday. Guess what? she's on Holiday until next Monday!!! - and no one knows where we are up to.

I'm now awaiting a telephone call from her supervisor.........:mad:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It really isn`t good enough.

I don`t know where some professionals get the idea from that it`s acceptable to let people down, but this form of behaviour is disrespectful. It`s enough to have all the anxieties associated with caring for a relative with Alzheimers, but to be disregarded in this way is insulting.

I hope you will complain Steve.

melbee

Sep 23, 2006
North West England
Hi Steve

I can relate to that too.........

I just posted with regards to my Mum - a rather long post ............however I forgot to mention that it is impossible to get hold of our Social worker. Even the CPN at the hospital tried contacting her, several times to no avail, so called her superior.

When I eventually speak to her I hope I can remain calm.

Best Regards
Mel

SteveS

Jun 20, 2007
Altrincham, cheshire
got the phone call frday 8:55. A rather "stern" senior SW explained a few things.
Our Sw was on holiday until Monday.
The application didn't getback to them on time to go before the panel next monday, but it would be there.

I argued that if i hadn't chased, we wouldn't have known as we were going on holiday next week.

She (the senior), then said what if we discharged Dad to ahome of their choice - stand back blood boiling and wait for it - WHAAAT!

i composed mysef - "He's going nowhere until we find a place for him" - it was intimated that he could be moved out of the hospital.

- I asked about the financial side that we had pursued from our SW over the last 3 weeks, and argued that we couldn't move forward until we knew what was happening - don't know about Dad, but Mum was out of her mind worrying.

Managed to get assurances that as we were actively seeking homes this weekend we might be in a better position when we return to get him placed and he could stay in hospital.

Now - we are being pushed into getting Dad out of the hospital, only finding that we are the ones panicking because the social services have delayed and we are the victims of their inadequate services and incompetant staff.

Lets hoipe this will end soon - I've not been able to concentrate on work - weekends are set for visitng, not this one - we're visitng homes

gill@anchorage5

Apr 29, 2007
Southampton
Total Nightmare

Morning Steve

So sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing - what a nightmare for you all.

From reading your earlier posts I know that you will not let your family be "bulldozed" into a wrong decision & will do all that you can to ensure that the right place is found for your Dad.

I'm sure that your Mum must be so grateful for all your support - how on earth would she be expected to "tackle the authorities" on her own.

It seems to unfair when you as a family are doing all you can to get things moving - & appear to be meeting so many obstacles along the way.

Thinking of you all & wishing you all the strength you need to keep battling on!

Let us know how it goes

Take care

Love

Gill x

SteveS

Jun 20, 2007
Altrincham, cheshire
Morning Gill,

Thanks for your kind words - and support, it all helps!

Yes, I'm strong for now, but getting a little weak and need respite (hopefully the holiday will help)

Mum is quite bewildered on it all, and would have been very distressed facing it on her own, she still finds herself being lonely at home, and can't relate to the Man she married at all, quieter moments find her crying, not my Mum, and that in turn upsets us.

come 9am we're on a tour of the district - at least we'll get some action that lacks in our inadequate Social Services in our LA.

Once Dad is settled I'm writing a strongly worded letter to our MP, and once my temper is cooled, I'll arrange a meeting with the Social Work team to express my\concerns and views. They've got a lot of explaining with an apology to boot...
will keep posting

Regards to all

Steve

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi Steve
just been reading your horror saga.
No suprise to me really,went through one myself earlier.
The whole thing is a disgrace and I know how it wears one down.
There is only one course to take make a formal complaint,don't be put off,go through the official procedure,they will have to implement it.
Do write to your MP,but go for the complaint procedure.
I did it, and won the day.
Good luck
Norman

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Steve

I'm not surprised your blood is boiling. After messing you about and not keeping you informed, to suggest that they should move your dad to a home of their choice while you were on holiday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These people are supposed to be caring -- how insensitive is that?

I'm so glad you're there for your mum. I know if that had happened to me I would have collapsed in a heap, unable to protest or argue. I'm pretty collapsed even at the thought.

I do hope you find a good home for your dad this weekend.

You're doing such a great job, looking after them both.

Love,

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Hi Steve

My own opinion of Social Workers is they are a pretty ineffectual lot in the main who have no idea of the stress and heartache they inflict into what is an already stressful and heartbreaking situation.

You hang on in there to get dad into the home of YOUR choice, and when he is settled and you feel calmer, that’s the time to put pen to paper and let rip.

Take care of yourself, and mum.

Love

Cate

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
SteveS said:
, quieter moments find her crying, Steve

Is it any wonder Steve.

What some `professionals `don`t seem to realize, is how distressing it is to watch someone you love go downhill, to such an extent they are hardly recognizable as the person they once were.

Although they have gone through such a change, it doesn`t mean we no longer love them. In fact we love them all the more, because they need us to protect them and act for them.

I understand professionals daren`t get emotionally involved with individual cases, but that doesn`t mean respect should fly out of the window, nor does it mean that even those with the most challenging behaviour should be `dumped` in the first available home.

I hope you find the strength Steve, to take your complaint the whole way. Your family has been treated shabbily and I am angry for you.

Be strong. xx

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
You know why they are they are pushing so hard to get your father out of hospital, don't you? Because if it can be shown that their inaction has led to a delayed discharge, they can be charged by the NHS. I don't know if they end up paying the approx £450 a day that it costs to keep someone in hospital or if they get a discount, but that is a strong incentive for them.

Like everyone else I'm appalled by what your family has been put through.

dave b

Nov 21, 2006
staffs
wow! jenni i've not seen your replies seem so twitter & bisted before!
has the nhs wound you up that much?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Not so much the NHS, but what social workers (not all, but some) can end up putting people through. Having spent a fair amount of time looking for something else on the NHS website (which I didn't find) I fell over the guidelines for delayed discharge, and it's quite clear that should a LA drag its heels over placing someone when they are medically ready for discharge, it's on their dime. This SHOULD be an incentive for LAs do do what needs to be done in a timely fashion, but what I think it can also mean is that if they drop the ball, they end up pushing families to make decisions in a hurry, decisions which should be considered carefully, which is what seems to be happening here. So not so much twitter and bisted, more sadly cynical. As in so many other things, it'a all about the money.

Jennifer

SteveS

Jun 20, 2007
Altrincham, cheshire
interesting info here - and it all makes sense.

It's no wonder that when the penny drops, families are cajoled into moving on, and it's the panic factor that concerns me. If I wasn't so "beligerent" about making sure we get what we want, I think Mum would have given in.

The good news is that we have identified three suitable homes in the locality - two are really close, although private, and one is local authority - i've asked for Dad's name to be put on their lists. We reckon that (6 names down the line in one that's being redurbished and a couple of names on another) he'll be placed soon enough - and in spite of the harrying we're getting - he's staying put until i've had a holiday and can return after respite to complete our task.

Thanks for the support and (don't worry about the cynicism) open comments.

Steve

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
it'a all about the money

Yes and finishing a day work , going home switching of . where we can't

Just that my CPN , said to me that he should be not be telling me this and I never heard it from him , but ...

He said , you have to tell them what you want , stand your ground , if you don't like the way they treating , not getting the services you want complain about it , because at the end of the day they all go home , while its you the carer that has to live in it 24/7 . they can switch of go home at end of working day but you can't your left with it all .

Now - we are being pushed into getting Dad out of the hospital,

Just let them try :mad: you have to fight your father conner, also supporting your mother emotional , Good for you , your mother surely bless to have a son like you .

Enjoy your respite . how you have to perceive it , you don't care how much it cost to keep your father in the hospital Or why they want him out .

Social worker CPN all doing a they Job , yeah Ok we all get that point , but So are your doing your Job in making sure that your father needs are meet your representing his needs , In a care come of your family likening , no matter how long it take to find one , if they don't like it they can get another Job , because your on your father Case if they like it or not .

all your doing is making they Job harder, so what ! that what they get paid for, it showing to them that your father is cared for and loved ,& they can't walk all over you .

Last edited:

lovdn2

Jul 24, 2007
Steve

Well done you for sticking to your guns on this one, I really hope it all goes well for you.

Your parents are incredibly lucky to have you for a son.

Enjoy your holiday.

lovdn2
xx

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
Margasrita, You have said it beautifully! Perfect reply!! As you say, they get to go home after 8 hours - we have it 24/7. Also they can change jobs if they want to - we don't have that choice!
Good for you Maggie!

SteveS

Jun 20, 2007
Altrincham, cheshire
Well, it's Monday!

Off to do some work (for a change), attend work meetings, and await the call from the panel.

No post this weekend from social services, but i bet it's sent 2nd class!

Will post any developments later!

Steve