A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello Sylvia
What a wonderful sight to be greeted with. Your Dhiren looks so comfy and content, I am sure I can see a gentle smile too.

Hope you don't mind me making this suggestion, If you find the other photo you mentioned earlier and are able to print them , when you send in your complaint send the pics as before and after Dhiren came home.

Haylett

Feb 4, 2011
Beautiful photo of Dhiren. (And this is the man they wanted to give NG feeding?!!) Hope you get some rest too Sylvia.

maryw - what an appalling story..

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Hi Sylvia

I rarely read long threads but dipped into yours this morning. I don't know the full story except that Dhiren has been in hospital and is now back in his care home. I'm so sorry he's been poorly, but the photo of him is lovely. I always think Dhiren is such a lovely looking man, and he looks calm and contented in his home.

Much love to you both xx

thatwoman

Mar 25, 2009
Merseyside
Dear Sylvia,

Although I am rarely on TP any longer, I still follow your thread. Dhiren and my Dad went into homes at the same time and their paths seemed to run in parallel (until Dad sadly died in 2012.)

Is there a Registered Nurse in Dhiren's home? After Dad's distressing treatment in hospital I asked what they would actually do for him if he had had a stroke. The answer was that they would do more tests, but the treatment would be the same as if he hadn't had another stroke. That treatment could be managed by the nurses in his home, overseen by our lovely supportive GP. Armed with that information I decided to put in writing on his file that Dad was never to go into hospital again. It was the best decision I could have made. Dad died peacefully 18 months after his last hospital admission. In that time he had a number of occasions when he was put on the Liverpool Care Pathway, lying in a coma with the whole family gathered around his bedside. In all but the last time, he recovered again, was taken off the pathway, and most importantly, he remained in the peace of his familiar surroundings. It was a personal decision made by our whole family, and one of my sisters struggled with it at first. (She had not had to witness his extreme distress on a Care of the Elderly ward, where most of the patients had dementia. Shockingly, most of the staff could not understand how their behaviour towards their patients exacerbated the distress.) However, we talked her round, and I am so glad we did. I'm not telling you that you should do the same as us, but I do think you should consider whether the benefits of a hospital admission outweigh the dangers.

Sending you and Dhiren my love and most warm wishes for a speedy recovery. I love the serenity of his smile while he sits up in his own bed.

Sue xxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Sue

One of the owners is a registered nurse but he is a working man and only at the home on Saturdays. As long as I can get to the hospital if emergency treatment is needed I can manage. I think I suffered more than Dhiren in this case.

The home cannot give intravenous treatment whether it be saline or ABs and that treatment was necessary.

Thank you for posting. It's good to hear from you. Xx

Last edited:

maryw

Nov 16, 2008
Surrey
Just wanted to say I'm so pleased Dhiren is back in the home and he does look happy and contented, which must be such a relief for you Sylvia. I hope you can relax now.

mulhuis

Mar 27, 2009
Kent
What a lovely picture. Dhiren as I always remember him with that lovely smile. So good to see him looking so happy and content.
Terry & Gayna
xxxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you.

He is up today in the sitting room but he hardly stirred while I was there he is so sleepy and probably still quite weak.

The home got him up so they can put a hospital bed in his room so he won`t need to be propped up with so many pillows. As soon as the bed is ready they will put him back to bed. He isn`t taking any notice of any comings and goings and seems really tired.

I did manage to get some reaction from him and a smile when I whispered in his ear but that was all. It was enough.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`ve found the photo of Dhiren in hospital with his Tea in front of him and no one to help him eat it.
Dhiren in hospital.jpg

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Aw Sylvia that is sad, I'm so pleased he has you to care for him xx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

Pollyanna

Jul 8, 2008
A very different photo, it makes your heart sink.

You should keep a copy of this photo with you throughout the complaint procedure, it is quite powerful when you consider how hungry Dhiren must have been.

So close, but so very far away :(.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The picture will be pasted onto my complaint letter.

Who would have taken the lid off the yoghurt pot? Who would have helped him to know the pot even contained yoghurt?

Last edited:

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Heart breaking isn't it.

I hope anyone who was involved with Dhiren at the hospital will, if not now, but in the very near future, have a conscience sitting on their shoulders nagging at them.....

It wouldn't be charitable to say I hope they continually have uncomfortable thoughts about their behaviour towards Dhiren, so I won't say it.

What I hope is that next time they meet someone who needs compassion, they will fully meet those needs

xxx

Last edited:

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Sylvia,

I've only just read about Dhiren's admission and subsequent discharge.

Glad to see Dhiren back 'home' and looking more like himself. Harrowing to read about your experiences..it takes a lot of strength to speak out as you did.

I think all of us dread our loved ones needing hospitalisation for the very reasons you've highlighted.

Hope that things are more settled now and you both have a peaceful time for a while.

Love xx

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
The picture will be pasted onto my complaint letter.

Who would have taken the lid off the yoghurt pot? Who would have helped him to know the pot even contained yoghurt?

The picture tells the story so well....it should be shown to trainee Dementia Carers as an example from which to learn....and they should be invited to think about your questions. And then they should be told about his recovering when he was helped........

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Dear Sylvia, I have not been on my laptop as had an unexpected 5 day visit from younger daughter whom I have only seen once in about three years. Have now caught up with your news and was very upset to read about the treatment Dhiren received in hospital. Also yourself.

Having had bad experiences over the six months Henry was in hospitals before he had to go into care, I could envisage some of what you experienced. My heart went out to you and still does because you don't get over it that quick. You feel totally drained and so much more.

The two photos speak for themself. Poor poor Dhiren being so dreadfully neglected, and what a relief he is now back in the safe enironment and excellent caring of his care home. The hospital experience such a nightmare for each of you.

Dhiren will be tired and weak, from the physical effect of his illness, and the shock the whole experience must have been for him. He may not remember - hopefully not - but it would be felt subconsciously. Remembering what it did to Henry and he was not as far down the dementia road when in hosptal. As for me, I do not dwell on it but it certainly left me with scars and they can still ache. More than ache.

I had great admiration and respect for you and the way you have dealt with the situation and I hope your complaint is fully taken on board and results emerge. Until more relatives of those with dementia do likewise it will still happen.

Although I fought hard on Henry's behalf I did not at that time have the 'know how' concerning a formal complaint. All I said fell on deaf ears, but I certailly would have the 'know how' if he ever had the misfortune to have to be in hospital again. The care home know how very strongly I feel about that ever happening. But of course I realise that for fractures, heart attacks, intravenous treatments, it has to be.......

I hope over the coming days you see Dhiren improve and also that you do. I do not now dwell in our bad experiences, Henry is in such a much better place now. But it took me a long time to build up faith and trust after Henry went into care. I do have that now, but I am never complacent.

This is not well written, very tired. Apologies for writing so much about our experiences, my feelings.

My thoughts and love to both of you.

Loo xx

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.