not having a very good time

taylorcat

Jun 18, 2006
W.Scotland
Dad had gone to doctor on Friday for a check up, he was feeling very lethargic and even going up the stair was exhausting him.

Anyway, she took some blood and was sending him to hospital for an x-ray and an ecg just to be sure.

Last night, around 8pm an emergency doctor turned up at his door to say that the lab had phoned to say the blood results had come back and his blood platelets were dangerously low and he should be admitted to hospital immediately. Dad, being Dad, told him he could not go to hospital until Monday because of my Mum. I told him that was very stupid and I would come and stay the night and we would get something organised over the weekend. No, he was not having it. I spoke to social work, NHS24 etc. and told them of the situation. He eventually came to his senses and has been admitted to hospital today. Mum has been admitted to a nursing home, which looks very nice, although she is not happy there. I'll just have to grin and bear it when I'm visiting tonight as I'm sure there'll be tears.

Just thought I would let you know. Hoping Dad's tests show nothing serious but think I may have read somewhere that this can be caused by chronic stress. Anyone any experience of this.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Taylorcat, that must have been so upsetting, finding your dad needed an emergency admission.

You've done well to get everything organised so quickly.

I hope your mum settles into the NH without too many problems, though she's bound to be upset. It has all happened so suddenly.

And I hope your dad's problem turns out not to be too serious.

I'll be thinking of you, let us know when you can.

Love,

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Just read your post and I am highly impressed in the way you have handled this 'crisis'. I hope your Dad is ok but full marks for the quick admission to sort him out. I do hope things are not too bad with your Mum - at the bright side she may handle it better than you think - you just never know.

I am not sure about the chronic stress thing but it would not surprise me.

Let us know how you get on. Thinking of you Beckyjan

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Dear Taylorcat: how distressing for all concerned. At least you know that they are both safe, if not very happy.

I have never heard that a low platelet count can be caused by chronic stress. There could be a variety of causes both major and minor for this, and in fact, in some cases they never do find a cause. Is your father on any medication for anything?

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Hi, sorry that you are having to go through all of this.Your mum is bound to be very upset as they dont like change this I know from experience. Maybe, just reassure mum that it is only going to be for a little while until the doctors let dad home.With mum I always bring the government into things saying the elderly can't stay at home alone as it's not safe, for some reason she seems to relate to this, and it works better then anything else I have tried. (I hope I have not jinxed myself). My dad has a problem with low platelets in his case it is caused by his valve replacement which was done 12 years ago he is 83 and his health condition is not good enough for more surgery. Dad was placed under a haematologist and put on iron tablets and something else but can't remember what, anyway, he improved and his blood is monitored. Dad suffers from recurring severe diarrhoea which he always ends up in hospital and the last time he was given some medication, that reacted badly with, two other medications he was on and caused major problems, but he was given blood tranfusions daily for a week and was back home soon after. I hope that your dad is sorted out quickly and home again real soon. Take Care. Taffy.

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Hi Taylorcat

Like Jennifer I dont think your dads illness can be down to stress, could be a multitude of things, so please dont try and second guess, you will drive yourself crazy, just wait and see, he is in very safe hands, and in the best place for him right now.

Good for you for sorting out everything so quickly, that couldnt have been easy.

I'm sure mum will settle in time, at least she is also in the best place for now, it might be an idea if you can get dad to agree to her staying a bit longer after his hospital discharge to give him time to fully recover.

Keep in touch, let us know how they both are.

Love

Cate

LuluB

Jul 11, 2007
Leicestershire
taylorcat said:
Dad had gone to doctor on Friday for a check up, he was feeling very lethargic and even going up the stair was exhausting him.

Anyway, she took some blood and was sending him to hospital for an x-ray and an ecg just to be sure.

Last night, around 8pm an emergency doctor turned up at his door to say that the lab had phoned to say the blood results had come back and his blood platelets were dangerously low and he should be admitted to hospital immediately.

Hi Taylorcat,
I haven't got a clue how to use these quote thingies, so if it comes out wrong, I apologise.

I can't believe what I read! My dad went through exactly the same! He had a routine blood test for the same reasons as yours did. A couple of weeks later, he was visiting my mother at the home when he was handed the phone by one of the staff. It was his gp trying to track him down because his levels were dangerously low also. He had to go to hospital that night for an emergency transfusion! Afterwards, he made a speedy recovery and his colour looked much better and the breathlessness and lethargy he felt improved. In fact I think it scared him quite a bit and he may actually be looking after himself more now. All the troubles and sadness with mum's condition has been to much for him, and the gp does say that he is depressed, so maybe there is some link.

Hope your dad continues to improve,

LuluB

taylorcat

Jun 18, 2006
W.Scotland
Lulu, that's a coincidence.

Thanks everyone. Dad is now out of hospital and they're not too sure of the cause but he has vitamins to take. Level has stabilised and is no long dropping.

I've managed to talk him into leaving Mum where she is until he feels better. I'm visiting on my own at the moment. Since she has been there she has been very, very sleepy all the time, slurred speech etc. which is not normal for her. Today when I was there it dawned on me she has the same symptoms she had when she was taken to hospital recently with dehydration. I wasn't very pleased with them at all and told them they will have to increase her fluids. She drank a full cup of a vitamin drink which I gave her today. I'm going back tonight and if there's no improvement I'm not leaving until they call a doctor.

Dad is talking about visiting tomorrow and if he goes and sees her in that state he will take her out immediately.

I can't tell him about it as he will only worry and probably insist she comes home. I'll let you know the outcome. I just hope there's an improvement by the time Dad goes up.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Taylorcat

Thanks for the update. I'm gald your dad is home and stabilised.

I do hope you find your mum a bit better tonight. Let us know.

Love,

taylorcat

Jun 18, 2006
W.Scotland
When I went up last night Mum was much the same, not eating or drinking much, slurring speech and very sleepy so I asked that they call out the doctor. She has a urine infection, not as I suspected was dehydrated (which I'm glad about). She is now on antibiotics and they have to up her fluids. If only they had done this from the beginning it may not have happened.

gill@anchorage5

Apr 29, 2007
Southampton
UTI's

Hello Taylorcat

Dad is very susceptible to urinary tract infections & when he has one is it as though someone has pressed the "fast forward button" on his Alzheimer's. We have noticed that constipation also affects his dementia this way.

Glad they have now identified the problem & hope the anticiotics kick in swiftly and that you soon see an improvement.

Take care

Love

Gill x

taylorcat

Jun 18, 2006
W.Scotland
Gill, that is exactly what it was like and how I knew there was something wrong. Although I think the staff should have noticed it. Anyway, I'm glad it wasn't dehydration but that might be next as she's not eating and drinking too much but maybe because she doesn't feel too good because of the urine infection, let's hope so.