Christmas...

Lorraineg

Nov 30, 2011
Bristol, England
I am not looking forward to Christmas as me & my sister were told by the dr he did not think she would be around this year but so far she is well. She has severe Alzheimer's, hallucination and many symptoms. But we are grateful she is still here and decorated the bedroom which she lives in. I have to wrap presents away from her because it makes her anxious. I don't know how Christmas will go, but hoping for the best. We have a stocking as usual for mum full of mostly sweets and her favourite perfume and a few small gifts. I know stress affects her in a bad way so we are just going to open a present or two and watch Christmas films it helps mum to put subtitles on the tv and she seems to watch it more. I am my mums sole carer and my sister works so I will be on my own over most of Christmas. I am just going to take it minute by minute and wish for the best. Hope you all have a very happy Christmas and new year.

yecats

Dec 19, 2011
Tring
christmas day

Most people on here seem to have Mums or Dads with dementia, that is bad enough
but I have a husband still at home. I have had years of bad Christmases because he
has an infection due to C.O.P.D., now he has Alzheimer's as well. We have two sons
who take it in turns to have us Christmas day but they have their own families, who
as they are getting older do there best. Our ten year old grand daughter finds it very hard, he is teasing her all the time. I find I cannot deal with it for long after dinner
so I ask them to take us home. At least he stopped smoking some years ago and the
C.O.P.D. is not as bad but I don't know witch is the worse.
Happy Christmas to you all, make the most of it.

Barbara

chez

A difficult day looming....

I think I'm in the same boat as many on here, we are retired now and I've always had a house full of family on Christmas day, for about 30 years, adults would sit elbow to elbow around the table and the children had their own little table next to us for Christmas Dinner :D Later, after a buffet tea, we'd squeeze onto the settee and chairs, and sit on bean bags and cushions on the floor to watch TV, pull crackers, eat chocolates and chat, great fun..:)..happy days! Then gradually the children grew up, married, and moved away, and we lost elderly parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles. We have just one child, grown up now and happily married but no children (yet), they take turns on Christmas Day with each others parents, so last year we were on our own with my 91 yr old Mum in Law who has Vascular Dementia. It was the worst Christmas Day we'd ever had :( I served dinner too late, the meat was tough (even though it was Gammon which had been in the slow cooker for 9 hours overnight and crumbled as we sliced it) she didn't like the mushrooms (which actually were chestnuts :confused:) the sprouts were too small and the Yorkshire Puddings were too big! Nothing was right for her, the house was cold (we were absolutely stewed) our Christmas tree was awful, the programmes on TV were all "a load of rubbish", our budgie was too noisy "I don't know how you put up with him", there were too many cars going past....the list was endless.
Just when we'd got her settled with a cuppa to watch something she actually wanted to watch on TV, she suddenly got up and shouted "I want to go home, NOW"! :eek:
This year our daughter and son in law are joining us for lunch, so at least we'll have some respite and someone to talk to for a couple of hours.
Like others on this forum, I also get upset at the Christmas adverts, and had a good cry in the shower tonight. I think we all probably grieve for "Christmas past":( Personally, I miss my lovely Mum so much, especially at times like this, and my Mum in Law is becoming increasingly difficult to cope with as her Dementia progresses, and she has so many other ailments too. It is so sad to see her like this, however, she is 91 and I hope that her pain won't be too long lasting. She is also so unaware that we are in our mid 60's, with health problems of our own, and find it difficult to cope with her care.
Sorry for being a misery chops, tomorrows another day.....lets see what it brings!:rolleyes:

Kevin D

Jun 30, 2013
Birmingham
Some Christmas Hope

I understand your feelings! The TV ad's raise our expectations that this Christmas will be one like the past! I do full time alone with Mum no help with Family and rarely the door knocks so Thank God Social Media which helps! I have arranged many activitities to take Mum with us and while she is active and is a useful helper on my Santa Visits and make sure she gets to her Christmas parties at various clubs.

I shall still decorate house to honour the child born in poverty at Bethlehem even though nobody calls and i shall arrange activities as Bingo on my IPad with tickets from the Pound Shop with little prises especially Jaffa cakes ;-) , incense the house, pray together and entertain Mum on my keyboards, play her fav songs and make her feel like
I did when I was her child at Christmas! Even though she can't send me a Christmas Card her smile will fill my heart with Joy and I will thank God I still have her. And when she is gone and I am on my own I will have the comfort of knowing that I did enough at Christmas as she hold the keys to the gateway of Heaven.

Do I hurt, Yes! Do I miss family and kids and feel part of nothing! Yes! Does the loneliness of the flesh feel ghostly, Oh Yes! Am I do the right thing Yes! Will my heart be filled Peace and Joy Yes!

I hope and Pray that what ever situation your are in that when Christmas is over you have left your Stamp on it ;-) God Bless. Kev x

Dreading Christmas

As Christmas approaches, I have various issues.

The first is that I don't want to be with Dad, I want to be elsewhere but Dad seems to come first. I'm hoping against hope that I can go round to his place, park him in his chair after lunch and spend some time elsewhere for a few hours before coming back, but I don't like to count on it, especially as he's been running me ragged.

That's the second problem - I'm utterly exhausted. He's been poorly for about 3 months with a series of problems starting with a urine infection. He then became more and more demanding and manipulative, which I thought but didn't tell anyone until several others commented on it, including relatives, nurses, paramedics, paid carers.

He's now refusing to drink enough and refusing to get exercise, with the result that he is weak and falls, but he's trying it on because if he falls and I don't come running, he sulks (and we're getting his care agency to look after him more now). When I have an appointment that matters such as with a doctor, he'll suddenly have a fall and not be able to get up, but the paramedics and the hospital have got him sussed now - they know that whilst he does have falls, he can usually get up and he's putting it on.

So I'm dreading Christmas with him trying to manipulate me. I need to be strong. I think I may pay for carers to stay with him while I spend some time elsewhere after lunch and agree with them that if he has a fall and 'can't get up', they go with him to the hospital.

kathyp

Jul 1, 2013
Cambs
any advice?

My mum will be spending her first Christmas in a CH with dementia. Her condition has progressed quite rapidly in the last few months so although last year she was a little confused, she was basically fine. This year she is totally confused. She has real problems with dates and times and has recently been getting very distresed and angry because she keeps thinking it is her birthday (which is in March!) I was going to get Christmas cards for her to write on and then post them for her but I think this may really upset and distress her, but I am worried that if I dont involve her and she does realize its Christmas, and she hasnt done anything, she will be equally upset. She has until recently been very independent and also generous with presents etc. Any ideas? what would other people do in this situation?

karanja

Feb 27, 2012
Last year was the first year that my wife was in her NH and I was worried sick about how she would cope with it but it turned out better than I expected.

In the run up to Christmas there were many activities going on practically on a daily basis that kept her in the "Christmas spirit" and she never felt she was missing out.
I did all the cards with her even though she couldn't remember who a lot of the recipients were.Every present I got for anyone was taken down for her to give approval or NOT but they got them anyway.

Her brother and myself were with her from after breakfast on Christmas morning.We opened the presents and had some bubbly before having Lunch with her in the dining room.By late afternoon she was sleeping and we left.Came home and had a good few beers too many.I think it was the sheer relief that it went ok.

It's not, I am sure, how anyone on here would choose how their Christmas would be but I'm afraid you have to make the best of a bad job be your family member in a care home or in their own home.

Every day is hard with many challenges.I wish you all well.

fredsnail

Dec 21, 2008
My mum will be spending her first Christmas in a CH with dementia. Her condition has progressed quite rapidly in the last few months so although last year she was a little confused, she was basically fine. This year she is totally confused. She has real problems with dates and times and has recently been getting very distresed and angry because she keeps thinking it is her birthday (which is in March!) I was going to get Christmas cards for her to write on and then post them for her but I think this may really upset and distress her, but I am worried that if I dont involve her and she does realize its Christmas, and she hasnt done anything, she will be equally upset. She has until recently been very independent and also generous with presents etc. Any ideas? what would other people do in this situation?

If she thinks it's her birthday would she accept you asking to help to write thank you cards (which happen to be the Christmas cards)? The other thing is to write her Christmas cards yourself (on her behalf) and get her to help make a few to send (you can buy blank cards with no picture or anything on the front from The Works (and other places).

One option for cards if you choose not to get her to write them is to write them from both of you. That way, it will be perfectly natural if the handwriting isn't hers, but if she asks if a card has been sent, you can say yes, you sent joint cards and if she's not convinced, get someone else to show her one and say how lovely it was of the two of you to send her one. That's what I've been doing with various people Dad knows for the last couple of years.

pippin_fort

Sep 8, 2010
Christmas

A really hard time for many many people. It often feels like an endurance test but instead of waiting for the storm to pass I have learnt to dance in the rain, as the saying goes. My Mum died nearly 4 years ago, she had dementia too. Every Christmas is hard. My father has very advanced dementia and is beyond unlikely to see next Christmas, but I have children aged 13 and 9 one of whom is still a believer. My Dad has been in a continuing care unit for 2 years, has not spoken for 4 years, can't walk, smile, is afraid of most things and his swallowing mechanism is failing. I have developed Rheumatoid Arthritis through stress, am recovering from Mumps and am just exhausted. My children are excited, my father looks me deeply in the eyes and holds my hand every time I see him and feed him treats like smoothies and chocolate mousse. I recently gave a talk to my daughter's school on mental health. My father was taken there by special transport and I told the children about his life and how wonderful their brains were. It was a terrible risk, but it paid off and I felt good about myself afterwards. It is all about learning to find the positives in very negative situations. Find the moment and cherish it I say! Enjoy moments of fun with your loved ones and cry when you need to but try and record all that you can. Big hug. xx

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
One option for cards if you choose not to get her to write them is to write them from both of you.
No problem here with that. I've always done the general cards - with my husband adding a bit occasionally if to his side of the family. He only wrote his own when to his fellow teachers and, when he retired, to the few he still mainatined contact with.
All but two of these have disappeared now and they know the situation so are happy to keep in touch with me.
Christmas is stressful enough without worrying about extras.
I take our cards in to the nursing home for my husband to see but he no longer understands anything that is happening.

Last edited:

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
For the first couple of years in the CH I would buy my mother's cards, always from the same charity, do the envelopes and take them in for her to sign. But it's been ages now since she's been remotely aware or bothered about such things.
It also seems like another life when she used to be anxious about presents and I would tell her not to worry, I. would buy and wrap them all up for her.

I am also not particularly looking forward to Christmas this year, though nothing to do with dementia. We usually go to the CH on Christmas morning, but my mother is way past knowing or caring whether we go or not. We are going instead to friends miles away - he is not well and the very dominant, egocentric side of his character - always present but not so noticeable - has become extremely marked. Everything has to revolve around him - he wants constant sympathy and attention and for some time now has been absolutely horrible to his wife. She can do or say nothing right. We are going for her, not for him, because she needs 'normal' company so badly. My OH has been friends with him for decades and is normally very patient and tolerant, but even he is
finding it very hard to cope with. We are both endlessly dying to say something, to tell him to think of someone else for a change, stop being so utterly selfish and self-centred, but know that it would only result in his taking it out even worse on her after we are gone.
Would add that this has been coming on for years, it is not just down to illness. I have had to bite my tongue so often.

HanSpan

Aug 9, 2013
I have rather the reverse issue from most people on here. Dad has been alone for 20 years since my Mum died and has spent all but the first few Christmases alone abroad, or with friends, or even just alone at home. My family were never hugely bothered with Christmas and OH & I have not visited either set of parents at Christmas for probably 18 years so we don't have to deal with one lot feeling aggrieved.

This year Dad has been diagnosed with Alzheimers and Vascular dementia and is becoming quite difficult to deal with and very forgetful. I visit and stay overnight about once a fortnight and help sort out his medical appointments and finances but I soo look forward to coming home! And then feel guilty about the relief.

So this year I feel more guilty than usual about leaving him alone at Christmas. OH & I had talked about having my Dad & his Mum & partner come stay in a nearby hotel for Christmas lunch but his parents have just been away so won't want to, and I'm not sure it would be a good idea with Dad anyway as he's already pretty confused. But I somehow suspect that, unlike previous years, if I offered to go to Dads he might just say yes. I'm not going to offer as, if I do OH will feel he has to go to his parents and there's no way after 25 years together I'm having that!

So we will have our usual (probably rather selfish) day just the two of us with Champagne and salmon for brekkie and far too much food and chocolate later. I will feel guilty I'm sure, but I'm going to really try and enjoy it as I strongly suspect its the last year we will be able to get away with this.
I hope you all have better days than you are expecting. I will be thinking of how fortunate I am to be able to have one more peaceful one doing what I want to do.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Couold you perhaps ask you father to share your Christmas meal at your house if you don't want to visit him? It seems a shame to leave him alone and surely your in-laws will understand.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Flying in the face of a miserable Christmas....

This year it would have been so easy to forget Christmas altogether.. Setting up a fake Christmas tree and putting on the lights helped by someone angry with Dementia is NOT great fun, but then up went the tree and on went the baubles and other dingle dangles, and I have to say it does look cheerful. So then I got out the other tree and we set it up in the conservatory. Husband cheered up visibly, and I wondered why I'd felt so negative. The conservatory tree reflects in the glass so that it looks like a dozen trees all down the garden. Every day I've added some little thing,and every day my husband seems more cheerful. Now we're listening to carols on the radio, and he's calm. I'm glad I resisted the gloom. It may not be a big family Christmas, but it won't be bleak.

SueShell

Sep 13, 2012
Orpington
Mine will be pretty much like any other day, except I'll be eating turkey and drinking too much probably. Just me and my AD Mum. The only thing I'm hoping for is that by early afternoon she's had enough and will want to go home (which is only next door to me) and I can spend the rest of the day watching tv! Had plenty of invites but how can I go elsewhere for Christmas and leave her on her own, I just can't as she can't cope on her own anymore. Personally I can't wait for Christmas to pass, never thought I'd hear myself saying that.

Last edited:

annad

Jun 13, 2013
'Dread' is the operative word

This is the first year for my mum in her CH and it's been a really difficult year. So I was hoping that we'd be able to take her out to one of the family on the day itself (which is also her birthday) and it wouldn't be so bad. But no, everyone has made other plans that don't include her (or me for that matter). I live away so had three options: bring her down to where I live which wouldn't be good for her confused mind, join her in the care home or take her out to a restaurant (very impersonal). I'm doing the latter. Mum spends a lot of time thinking she lives in a pub/hotel/is on holiday etc. but she knows who her family is and will know she hasn't been invited to anyone's home. Sorry to rant but I just think in the year my mum has lost her own home, and her mind, she's not being cared for at Christmas properly. So, yes, I'm dreading Christmas too.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
This is the first year for my mum in her CH and it's been a really difficult year. So I was hoping that we'd be able to take her out to one of the family on the day itself (which is also her birthday) and it wouldn't be so bad. But no, everyone has made other plans that don't include her (or me for that matter). I live away so had three options: bring her down to where I live which wouldn't be good for her confused mind, join her in the care home or take her out to a restaurant (very impersonal). I'm doing the latter. Mum spends a lot of time thinking she lives in a pub/hotel/is on holiday etc. but she knows who her family is and will know she hasn't been invited to anyone's home. Sorry to rant but I just think in the year my mum has lost her own home, and her mind, she's not being cared for at Christmas properly. So, yes, I'm dreading Christmas too.

That's so sad Annad; but thank goodness she has you. Have you thought to tell the absent members of the family where you and she are going, and ask if any of them would like to join you? Perhaps a gentle hint would give them pause for thought.

Tensing

Jun 9, 2011
Oxfordshire
I just 'lost it'. My lovely husband had tried to pee in the washbasin and was standing in a pool of pee. My life revolves around his toilet habits. I thought I was winning the battle of getting him to sit on the loo.
Everyone thinks I am 'wonderful' with him. I also just read an article about not being bossy to the people we are caring for and not every scolding...... After 5 years of being the one person who makes all the decisions etc. etc.. I am bone weary. I feel like a monster... Would I be this horrible if I did not have a hip so painful that it needs replacing...

Bree

Oct 16, 2013
Please don't think you're alone in your feelings. Although MOH isn't at that stage yet, he reduces me to tears, with the constant criticism, aggression, and insults. We have been married for forty years, this isn't the man I married. Please know that we all feel for you, have courage, and battle on.