A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Oh dear Sylvia!

You have to feel sorry for Dhiren, he's trying so hard to make sense of things. I do hope he accepts things once you get there.

But you're going to have a rough time till then!

Holidays? What holidays!:(

Love,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
And now he has come out of another Lapse, asked what tomorrow`s plans are, and when I said we are going to Manchester, it was such a lovely surprise.

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Sylvia, do you have family or friends around to support you in Manchester? I know I've expressed my concerns previously about a return visit for Dhiren ... given the landscape and skyscape of my 'home city' have changed - and are still changing so dramatically since the IRA bombing ..... it's a bewildering place for some of us who have grown up around the city with precious few landmarks from 20 or more years ago unchanged ..... or hidden ..... dwarfed by the likes of 'Number One Deansgate' ...... famous streets like Mosley now traffic free but criss-crossed by the Metrolink lines ......

Of course there are still the gems tucked away from the huge glass structures ... St Ann's Square, John Rylands, the central hub of Chinatown .... Urbis and MSI offer some relic of the past if that's what Dhiren is hoping for ...... I am genuinely hoping this turns out for the good, but confess - and I'm sorry if I sound like some of the 'meddling' family .... that the suburbs remain more consistent with anyone's hopes to recall or reclaim their past in the area ...

I really hope the visit goes well for both your sakes ....... and yes it doesn't look like the 'Rainy City' will be letting you down weather-wise :rolleyes: .... but we've had it a lot easier than many parts of the country .....

Good luck ......

Love, Karen, x

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Sylvia,
Here's my wishes for an enjoyable trip, with as few glitches as possible & as few lapses as possible. Travel can be such an uncertain proposition with AD sufferers but again, it can be rewarding.

Here's to rewarding for both you and Dhiren.

Love
Joanne

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Sylvia,

I agree with Karen, Manchester seems to change day by day with all the building work, but the weather changeth not.

I took my Dad to Manchester on Tuesday, because he HAD to buy something... what?... 'well it's something every one else has and I've never had one' :confused: :confused: :confused: A jet ski???? Give me another clue. He was determined to get the train, but would have been hopelessly lost. :(

That's not very cheery is it? Sorry. Manchester is a great city and hope you have a fab time. If Dhiren finds it different, maybe when you get home to Kent it will feel more like home.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
sue38 said:
. Manchester is a great city and hope you have a fab time. If Dhiren finds it different, maybe when you get home to Kent it will feel more like home.

That`s the idea Sue. Thank you.

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
Thinking of you both . . .

. . . and hoping the "great Manchester excursion" ;) is as successful and trouble free as possible. Sending you my very best "happy travelling" wishes. :)

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Sylvia,

Hope all goes well for you and Dhiren. My in-laws are from Manchester, but moved down to Colchester when they retired. We were just visiting today and spent some time looking at a book I got them last Christmas which shows images of Manchester in the 1950's and 1960's.

This is the listing on Amazon if you're interested:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Around-Manchester-50s-Clive-Hardy/dp/1904038190/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b/202-9018021-0462253?ie=UTF8&qid=1185145479&sr=1-6

Alternatively, this council image bank web site might come in handy:

http://www.images.manchester.gov.uk/

Goodness knows taxpayers' funds have paid for enough digitisation projects, we might as well get something enjoyable out of them!

Take care,

Sandy

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Sandy, thanks for those links. I searched for my hall of residence, and zoomed in so that I could even identify my old room!

Very nostalgic! I'll be going back so see other old haunts!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
This time he really did go home................

Our trip to Manchester had to be aborted.

Last night my dear husband went home. He was missing for 4 hours, from 6.05p.m. until 10.15 p.m. I had to call the police, who found him, wandering and lost, in an area we had lived in 10-15 years ago.

For those familiar with Manchester, he had walked from our hotel in Piccadilly, towards the Central Library. He turned into Oxford Road, went past the BBC, past the University complex, past Manchester Royal Infirmary and St. Mary`s Hospital. He continued to walk along the `Curry Mile`, past Platt Fields, and Manchester High School. He then walked through fallowfield, Withington Village and on into Didsbury.

I had alerted the police to Piccadilly Railway Station, and Bury, but hadn`t given West Didsbury a thought.

The police brought him back to the hotel. he was dazed. He didn`t know where he had been or how he`d got there. After the police had gone, he told me he thought he`d been asleep.

The police were wonderful. The hotel staff were wonderful.

I couldn`t risk a repetition in Manchester, it is far too dangerous.

So we came home together today.

He said he understands he is safer in a small seaside town, than he would be in a big city.

We shall see.

gill@anchorage5

Apr 29, 2007
Southampton
What a worry

Oh Sylvia

So sorry to read your post - you must have been frantic with worry!

Good to hear that the police & the hotel were so effecicent & so understanding. The important thing is that he was returned to you safe & sound.

Thinking of you both.

Love

Gill x

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Oh Sylvia, I can't believe it! How on earth did he manage to walk that far? (Yes, I do know the area, it's my old stamping ground, and it's so busy!!!!) But he know how to get 'home'!:eek:

You must have been out of your mind with worry.

I'm sorry it didn't work out. But you tried. I do hope Dhiren continues to accept that he's better where he is.

And at least you know he's safe.

Welcome back!:)

Love, xx

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Good Grief, what an experience.

I'm so sorry that it didn't work out for you both.

I think there comes a certain stage where the reality of life becomes as unsure for the carer as for the person they are trying to care for.

A sort of global lack of spatial awareness creeps in. We are unsure whether doing this or that will be good or bad, whether we can stand or we will fall over.

The only thing we can do is try, because to do nothing is to accept something has been lost, probably forever.

So we try these things. Sometimes they work and we are amazed because we did not expect them to. Sometimes we think there will be no problem, and we are brought up short.

Sometimes we worry that there WILL be problems, but we wish with all our hearts that there might not be, and try. Sometimes we are ok. Sometimes not.

But we have to try.

To care is to try, even when the odds are stacked impossibly high.
focus on that. You both tried. You were both together [except for 4 hours :eek: ]. You will both try something again another day. There's something so special about that.

Take care

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dear Sylvia, so sad that things did not go according to plan.

He said he understands he is safer in a small seaside town, than he would be in a big city.

We shall see

I do hope he somehow manages to retain that thought. Lets hope that something good can come out of all this, and he continues to feel 'safe' with you in Kent.

Take care, love n'hugs

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
Dear Sylvia,

What a dreadful experience for you - and for Dhiren. Sending you {{{HUGS}}}

But we have to try.
To care is to try, even when the odds are stacked impossibly high.
Quote:
focus on that. You both tried. You were both together [except for 4 hours ]. You will both try something again another day. There's something so special about that.

I like this quote from Bruce - it puts a good face on a terrible occurrence. Hope you can focus on this.

Thinking of you.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Sylvia, I can't even begin to imagine how terrifing this experience must have been for you and I'm so happy that it was resolved successfully.

Love

Jennifer

Status
Not open for further replies.