Finders Keepers.

paris07

Jul 11, 2007
australia
FINDERS KEEPERS INDEED'
I should not joke about these things but sometimes its too frustrating to bare.
I have EPA for my mum she signed this to me back a few years ago . Being the only child ,now, its a big responsibility every pension day mum and I go shopping ,when she is well , I get her as much as she likes out , and help her shop for the things she wants. and mentally remember how much she has left in her purse. I always have to hand over the money to the assistant as mum does not understand amounts.

Over the last few months I have noticed when I ask mum how much she has in her purse she shows me and the money is disappearing.......
A few days ago I saw mum taking the back off one of the photo,s in her bedroom I never said anything and later when she was sitting in the sun for a while I did my detective work and sure enough here it was over $ 1000 ......
my concern is will she forget it is there and throw the photo out in the garbage bin as she does with quite a few things
any suggestions , all very much appreciated.
Paris07

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Paris, if your mother does not understand amounts, I would syphon off some of the money behind the photograph and put it in a safer place.

You could even exchange the notes for some of a smaller denomination, so the `bulk` is similar. it is too dangerous for her to have large amounts of cash in the house.

Zadok

Mar 15, 2006
Kent
I'm with Sylvia on this one. I would give mum lots of coins and smaller notes. Check EVERYTHING for money.
At one point I was taking away thousands of pounds in notes, having left token amounts. If she is hiding the notes as carefully as this look in socks, under and in pillows, inside the bed base, behind the upstand of the sink, seed pots,vests .I could go on! Obviously it is her money, but you have to make sure its not lost or thrown away. Blame the government....................they've cut down on how much you can take out of a bank at a time or a similar white lie!

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Just to reinforce the points Sylvia and Zakok have made. Your mother may well forget & start throwing things out. If you want to leave a token amount, that's fine. Losing $10 or $20 is no big deal. But there's no point in having major amounts of money thrown out!

Play detective & ferret out the money. Perhaps you can "help" her with spring or fall cleaning. Pockets in clothes are another place to check.

Joanne

plastic scouser

Sep 22, 2006
Hale Village, Liverpool
Hi Paris

My Dad did this too - we're still finding money nearly 8 months after he passed away!

He also squirelled away photos too - very odd, but it raises a smile now when we find the odd £10 or a photo!

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Not the same thing but....................

After my dear husband died in hospital, I just put his things away. Some 8/9 months later was going through his sponge bag.....and there in his "soap dish/box" was £10.

Went to Yarmouth races that month with friends.......they owned a horse, their daughter was riding...........can remember it so clearly.

Put Len's £10 on the nose.........................the horse came second. Ah well, you can't win them all.

Thanks for the memory.

Kate P

Jul 6, 2007
Merseyside
We have a similar problem with mum - luckily it's still in her handbag. Well, maybe not luckily because we have to worry about her walking round with hundreds of pounds in her handbag! She also hides coins in a kitchen drawer - at least we always have a stash when the window cleaner calls.

On a funny note my gran used to hide money in maragarine tubs in the fridge and she was perfectly fine!! She thought burglars would never suspect - personally, I think if they'd looked and seen at least six maragrine tubs in an old ladies fridge - some from the 1980s:eek: - they may have been suspicious!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba