Newbie!!!

Lilibet1

Nov 19, 2012
Buckinghamshire
Hi all,
This is the first time i've used this forum and I just wanted to see how it all works.
My husband has been diagnosed with Alzheimers since 2010 and is slowly getting worse. He is 63 and it would just be lovely to chat with someone who is going through a similar situation. I would like to know if some of his symptoms are normal or is he unique (which I very much doubt) as you can't keep going to the GP who is very good but is also very busy
Any advice will be welcomed! :)

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
Welcome Lilibet1

There are lots of useful things you can download from the main website but here is the place where you can chat and hopefully find answers in a friendly way

Everyone is unique but it does help to realise that you are not alone

I hope you find the answers and reassurance here that you are looking for

Sarah

I did wonder if you were the Queen with your name!!:)

Lilibet1

Nov 19, 2012
Buckinghamshire
Welcome Lilibet1

There are lots of useful things you can download from the main website but here is the place where you can chat and hopefully find answers in a friendly way

Everyone is unique but it does help to realise that you are not alone

I hope you find the answers and reassurance here that you are looking for

Sarah

I did wonder if you were the Queen with your name!!:)

Hi Sarah and thanks for your reply. It made me laugh which was great. :D I look forward to using this forum more and more. Hopefully I will be able to learn more about my husbands condition and his symptoms.

By the way unfortunately I am not related to the Queen!!!

lilibet

lilibet

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Beaten to it by Sarah, what she said:) It is as good source of advise from people who've been there, done that and got the T-shirt. Sad he's so young when he was diagnosed, only 60 that's no age.
Best wishes
K

tropicbird

husband with A.

Hi all,
This is the first time i've used this forum and I just wanted to see how it all works.
My husband has been diagnosed with Alzheimers since 2010 and is slowly getting worse. He is 63 and it would just be lovely to chat with someone who is going through a similar situation. I would like to know if some of his symptoms are normal or is he unique (which I very much doubt) as you can't keep going to the GP who is very good but is also very busy
Any advice will be welcomed! :)

Hi Lillibet, mine too at 77, gradually but quite recently more marked and deterioration.
Very difficult to accept, although the first doctor said 'Accept, there is no cure.' Everyone IS unique, so take all advice with a pinch of salt and thanks, and find what works best for you both.
It is important for me to get as much sleep at night - 8 hours - as possible, to be able to cope. Also consider the burden falls to you - keep fit, eat well, stay healthy if you can. Develop a support group who knows about A and understands what you are faced with. That may not include relatives and friends funnily. Find friends. carers who can spend time with him, to free you for some normality - it really helps me to cope - he benefits more with my quality time in the long run.
I never talk about him to helpers or carers within my husband's hearing if I can help it, and I advise them to speak directly to him, and greet him normally, engage him in conversation or activities.
This site has some very good replies to questions, blogs, which help put it all into perspective.
Sometimes I find it difficult to stay in the moment with my husband and help him when he 'loses' things....they are always in the same place. But we have wonderful times when he is more lucid, and we can joke and play, remember past joys. i tell him often I love him, and reassure him everything is all right, hug him and show him my love in all ways.
He thinks he is in a different place every night and morning. I try to stay in his world / on his planet, but need 'time off' to deal with everyday problems and the burden of 'doing it all', for us both. Good luck, love and hugs, L.x

Lilibet1

Nov 19, 2012
Buckinghamshire
Hi Lillibet, mine too at 77, gradually but quite recently more marked and deterioration.
Very difficult to accept, although the first doctor said 'Accept, there is no cure.' Everyone IS unique, so take all advice with a pinch of salt and thanks, and find what works best for you both.
It is important for me to get as much sleep at night - 8 hours - as possible, to be able to cope. Also consider the burden falls to you - keep fit, eat well, stay healthy if you can. Develop a support group who knows about A and understands what you are faced with. That may not include relatives and friends funnily. Find friends. carers who can spend time with him, to free you for some normality - it really helps me to cope - he benefits more with my quality time in the long run.
I never talk about him to helpers or carers within my husband's hearing if I can help it, and I advise them to speak directly to him, and greet him normally, engage him in conversation or activities.
This site has some very good replies to questions, blogs, which help put it all into perspective.
Sometimes I find it difficult to stay in the moment with my husband and help him when he 'loses' things....they are always in the same place. But we have wonderful times when he is more lucid, and we can joke and play, remember past joys. i tell him often I love him, and reassure him everything is all right, hug him and show him my love in all ways.
He thinks he is in a different place every night and morning. I try to stay in his world / on his planet, but need 'time off' to deal with everyday problems and the burden of 'doing it all', for us both. Good luck, love and hugs, L.x

Hi,
Thanks for your reply, I note you sent it very early so I hope that it doesn't mean that you didn't get any rest last night. I know the benefits of sleep as my husband gets up generally once a night to use the loo. Sometimes he can manage by himself other times I have to help. He also appears to be awake but is definitely somewhere else, it's always about work and how he must get this or that done. He also "see's" people, which at first I found scary, but now I understand that although they might be real to him it is just his brain playing tricks!!
I agree with you that I need to take time off, but as yet I have not really been able to do that. I can leave him for about 4 hours, as long as I leave him a drink and something to eat, which is good as I still work, all be it only 8 hours a week. This gives me a bit of "normality" as my work mates are all very understanding and we try to stay clear of my husbands illness.
I miss doing ordinary things like going out for a meal, cinema etc. We take so much for granted when there are no problems in life. It's only when difficulties come that you appreciate how "normal" you were before.
Listen to me ranting on (and we've only just met)!!!
Thanks for your reply it was helpful. Lilibet:)