Swallowing Problems...............

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
.......following an ENT appointment last week for my mum due to swallowing problems I was told she would get an appointment for a Barium Swallow through the post.

Well it arrived today for 31st October at 9am[/B]. How do they expect me to get a 99 year old dementia sufferer with fading eyesight (macular degeneration) up and out and over to the hospital by 9 am? :rolleyes:

Will have to call on Monday and see what can be done - they operate on the assumption that 'one size fits all' but in practice it is not aways that simple - beggars belief!!

pippop1

Apr 8, 2013
Do you really need to put her through this test? If she's having difficulties why not just give her appropriate liquid food or whatever the Dr says will be right for her. It's seems so sad to make her do this

cobden28

Jan 31, 2012
Could it be that your elderly Mum is being asked to be there for the start of the consultant's clinic, instead of being given a specific time at which she will be attended to?

Contact the hospital to explain the difficulties you will have in getting your Mum there for that hour of the day (through the morning rush-hour traffic as well :( ) and see what they say.

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
They are doing this to eliminate possibly physical causes of swallowing difficulties. It would be medically negligent to simply assume that dementia is the root causes, espescially if there are any indicators that suggest there is another potential cause.

A barium swallow test is about the quickest and least invasive of the available tests. The alternative would almost certainly be an endoscopy, which is unpleasant, takes longer and woiuld be extremely difficult to perform if a patient is unable to co-operate. It is the most definitve test and I suspect the dementia is the reason they are opting for the barium instead.

I would telephone the hospital and say that the time is impossible for you. Also, you should be able to arrange for hospital transport.

If this is your first visit to a particular hospital department, they will check with your GP first to ensure your need is genuine. Sadly because some abuse the system and demand hospital transport when they are capable of going by themselves, or have their own transport.

We have had transport to take my mum to the neurology unit for many years (she has Parkinsons, we have no car and public transport is extremely difficult). However, when she was referred to the eye clinic, they would not organise transport without contacting the GP first.

Also, you will need to tell them beforehand that the patient must be accompanied by their carer. This changes the nature of the transport, and some modes can't be used if there is a carer. It becomes a case then of transport without the carer, or no transport.

It is often done by volunteers in private cars, the NHS reimburses actual costs such a petrol. However, for patiens with higher needs or a carer, it is NHS transport, or even an ambulance although this is rare.

Pheath

Dec 31, 2009
UK
Sympathise with you SWMBO. The earliest we could ever get dad to appts during the last couple of years he was living at home, even to his GP which was just around the corner, was midday as it was a real ordeal getting him up and out. Later appt def called for!

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
Thanks for your replies.

I already give appropriate food and the initial appointment was really to rule out anything sinister. I have no intention of putting mum through anything more complex than a barium swallow at her age.

I have no transport problems it is more the getting a 99 year old up and out the door - through the rush hour trafic - park - into the hospital - all for a 9 am appointment.

Goes without saying I will of course be telephoning the hospital today.

Was really just voicing my dismay at the time given - believe me folks I am onto this!

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
Update

Imaging from the local hospital rang me today and were very helpful and kind.

Mum has and appointment on 5th November at 10.30 which will allow me to get her there without too much of a rush.

I appreciate it is a fasting process but the person I spoke with today said she could have sips of water and the procedure wont take long nor is the amount to be swallowed that massive thick stuff (moved on somewhat from what it used to be).

Once this has been done will know what we are dealing with. I am pretty sure it is age/dementia, but wont be complacent and just need confirmation it is nothing sinister.

I have been buying childrens meals from M & * which size wise are perfect and the consistency is much smoother. If in doubt I cut up finely or mash and it seems to be working well.

I often read here where carers have trouble getting their caree to eat. Well my mother eats well maybe slightly reduced portions but nonetheless well so I have to be grateful for that.

Night Night all and I hope your day tomorrow is not too stressful :)