keeping my dad from me

dinouk

Oct 19, 2013
hi all my dad was taken into hospital two weeks ago as he wasnt eating much and been constantly losing weight,my sister and i knew he had been diagnosed with dementia years ago but id saw no signs of it really,now all of a sudden its here noticable now my problem is the consultant spoke to my sister and i and explained all we needed to know only to my shock and horror he said my dad cannot get out of hospital care as he needs 24hr care only for him to eat.my dads had strokes in the past and they say he cant swallow the same which i dont agree with he swallows as he has always done to me the thing is my daughters living with him just now has done since february and ive said il move in also to be with my dad 24 hrs every day i dont know if anyone knows is there anything i can do about this as he needs to be home with his family or he will die faster hes so down please if anyone has any ideas can you please let me know thank you

ancient&modern

Oct 19, 2013
hi all my dad was taken into hospital two weeks ago as he wasnt eating much and been constantly losing weight,my sister and i knew he had been diagnosed with dementia years ago but id saw no signs of it really,now all of a sudden its here noticable now my problem is the consultant spoke to my sister and i and explained all we needed to know only to my shock and horror he said my dad cannot get out of hospital care as he needs 24hr care only for him to eat.my dads had strokes in the past and they say he cant swallow the same which i dont agree with he swallows as he has always done to me the thing is my daughters living with him just now has done since february and ive said il move in also to be with my dad 24 hrs every day i dont know if anyone knows is there anything i can do about this as he needs to be home with his family or he will die faster hes so down please if anyone has any ideas can you please let me know thank you

could be difficult, as your father is the client/patient/ vulnerable person, due to dementia, and the health/ social care authorities can make decisions based on their judgment of his needs. they do not need your agreement. I guess you do not have power of attorney. suggest you contact the hospital social workers, and/or PALS service in the hospital. also your local area may have a carers' centre who could give advice, or local alzheimers group. look these up on google. there will be a search button where you can input your, or your father's postcode. you need to act quickly, as there is such pressure on hospitals to move patients out into care homes, to free up beds.
it must be a shock to you. good luck.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
My first thought is that it would be very unusual for a hospital to keep a patient when they can be cared for at home.

What I would suggest is talking to the hospital PALS department who can mediate between patients, doctors and nurses to ensure the best thing happens for your Dad.

What does your sibling think?