Managing stress

Hope2

Jan 5, 2012
I would like to ask what methods people would recommend for managing their emotions and physical reactions during the stressful situations we inevitably experience.

I have asked for advice from my surgery only to receive the unhelpful reply that I should try aromatherapy.

I am thinking more along the lines of maybe learning some breathing techniques that I could use when stressed rather than therapies such as massage that relax you while you're having them. But there are so many practitioners in this general area I feel uncertain what might work best.

What approaches has anyone else found helpful?

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Not quite what you're after but ...

When you can feel yourself getting more and more wound up by the feelings churning inside, say firmly to yourself "STOP!" and re-direct your attention to something happier (eg heart-warming memories of your children seeing lambs or fireworks for the first time). Repeat the process as necessary.

Amber

Jan 4, 2011
West Sussex
Hi Hope2

My mum is in a care home now but when she was living at home and I was her carer (I didn't live with her but did everything for her) I joined Carers Trust, they have a support
package for carers which includes advice on stress, they also provide a counselling service which is free and a once a month 'phone call to you where you can have a chat and let off steam! They also provide details of practitioners of holistic therapies who offer their services at much reduced rates for carers.

http://www.carers.org/help-directory/managing-stress

Hope this is of help to you
x

hiedicat

Mar 14, 2012
Doncaster
I agree mindfulness techniques are useful also I try to tell myself that getting upset so much is not helping anyone although sometimes you have to let the negative emotions go and crying can be therapeutic. Exercise or walking can also help.

artyfarty

Oct 30, 2009
London
I've learnt some breathing techniques through my yoga class. Can't say it's helped overmuch at the 'flash points' when dealing with mum but I do find it useful when I am trying to calm down afterwards. It's also good if I get an attack of insomnia.

SANDIE53

Oct 17, 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
I am very lucky in that my mum has never been the aggressive type with her dementia but the stress is still there for me because I am running here there and everywhere trying to take care of my own family and my mum. My dad is her main carer but I do a lot too. And, my dad is a stubborn old man which adds to the stress!

The way I relieve that stress is by ringing a friend or my sister who lives hundreds of miles away and getting it all off my chest.

Do you have someone you can talk to? Other than that I don't know about breathing techniques but maybe a walk around the block even just for a few minutes in the fresh air might help you.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
walk away and count slowly to 100, even if it means doing so in the loo.

Make 'me time' and don't feel guilty about it, to recharge your batteries so you deal with the stress better.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
I went to a stress management course ran by a Caring Society so it was tailored for carers rather than just general. I found it really useful.

zeeeb

I have done yoga for many years, but since having kids, have really let it go. Recently I done an 8 week course at a local University, it was for a stress study (a psych student was running it). It was 8 weeks x 2 times a week. It is great for stress (and has done wonders for my back pain too).

I understand the concept that a bit of camomile tea and lavender oil isn't going to touch the surface of the stress we deal with when it comes to alzheimers in our lives.

I really want to stick with the yoga and keep doing it weekly, it does good things if you keep up regular practice, not to mention just getting out of the house and doing something for yourself once a week.

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
I would like to ask what methods people would recommend for managing their emotions and physical reactions during the stressful situations we inevitably experience.

I have asked for advice from my surgery only to receive the unhelpful reply that I should try aromatherapy.

I am thinking more along the lines of maybe learning some breathing techniques that I could use when stressed rather than therapies such as massage that relax you while you're having them. But there are so many practitioners in this general area I feel uncertain what might work best.

What approaches has anyone else found helpful?

Aromatherapy!!! we get that every time MIL is incontinent of urine but it does not help my stress levels :eek::eek:

Welcome to TP Hope2. Don't stand arguing, walk away as others have said. Look after yourself

flowerfairy

Apr 15, 2013
Buckinghamshire
It's mindfulness for me, helps me to stay with the emotion, however unpleasant. There are many sources for this technique which is proving so useful and being used now in the NHS, a free taster is offered on the website 'getsomeheadspace'. I also use yoga, exercise and treats! The silver lining in this for me is that "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" - more than 2 years on this journey and I am still ok, more resilient and increasingly delighted to find the joy in my own life.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
It's mindfulness for me, helps me to stay with the emotion, however unpleasant. There are many sources for this technique which is proving so useful and being used now in the NHS, a free taster is offered on the website 'getsomeheadspace'. I also use yoga, exercise and treats! The silver lining in this for me is that "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" - more than 2 years on this journey and I am still ok, more resilient and increasingly delighted to find the joy in my own life.

Thanks for that flower and welcome to the forum.

I'll give that site a go.

MeganCat

Jan 29, 2013
South Wales
I just bought a book on mindfulness from that big online place
It has a CD with exercises
Plan to start the recommended 8 week course this weekend
Look out for the new chilled me:D

SallyPotter

May 19, 2013
Gloucestershire
Got that one MeganCat! (the dummies variety, I can't do anything to intellectually challenging!) Its god but please stick with the course, I didn't show much 'mindfullness' by allowing myself to be side-tracked!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cat09