The rudeness of strangers...

Hair Twiddler

Aug 14, 2012
Middle England
and even let me use the disabled bays without a Blue Badge

I too have had very kind and considerate treatment from The Sons-Of-Morris supermarket. I have a blue badge for mum and have used a child and mother parking space to park in as there were no disabled available. I did attempt to explain to an attendant who gave me a "funny look" but he just smiled and said "No Prob" (so it probably wasn't a funny look!).

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Certainly agree there should be a universally recognised symbol to let people know they're helping someone with Dementia. When I get a chance I'll get some of those Scottish Forget me not badges, even though we're in Gloucestershire. The wider they're seen, the better people will learn what they mean.

But that will have to be tomorrow as there's some pretty persistent sundowning in progress here!:)

normelle

Apr 25, 2010
bournemouth
Hi debbie

I think it would be good to get a lapel pin like the marie curie daffodil - to signify either alzeheimers awareness or assistance needed? - something like that would be great. What do you think?

My name is normelle. I suggested something like that. Years ago..I have since lost my Dave. ,but I popinand out of tp t o see how folks are doing,,,,good luck love normelle xx

Brannybob

Jun 20, 2013
UK
Hello everyone,
I think a forget me not badge would be wonderful, the only thing is the shops and local business need to be aware but great idea xx :)

krissymc

Sep 24, 2012
hi I work at a supermarket on the checkout and yes we have to scan so many items in a minute, but since my mother has had vascular dementia I can usually spot customers with the symptoms and have more patience with them and try to help them. I work for Iceland and we have never had any training at all on dealing with customer with this condition or any disabled customer, tho I do think its a good idea especially with the younger staff who do not know the signs. I think a badge is a really good idea. :)

artyfarty

Oct 30, 2009
London
Just thought I'd let you know that I got answers back from Tesco (or Deathco as my boyfriend likes to call them) and Sainsbury's.

Tesco said 'I can advise that we do not currently have a set policy or a specific training program in place for our staff when serving customers with dementia.

However, our staff will do their best to ensure that they help our customers in any way they can.

I have passed your comments to Head Office; who will consider your feedback for future training exercises'.

And Sainsbury's:

'We recognise that all our customers are individuals, with individual needs. As part of delivering excellent customer service, all our store colleagues receive training to ensure that they understand the needs of all our customers.

If you would like to find out more or discuss your queries or concerns in more depth you may wish to contact your local store'.

Neither response seems good enough to me although is good that Tesco say they would pass my comments to head office - if we can believe that would actually happen. Sainsbury's response seems positively arrogant.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
I too have had very kind and considerate treatment from The Sons-Of-Morris supermarket. I have a blue badge for mum and have used a child and mother parking space to park in as there were no disabled available. I did attempt to explain to an attendant who gave me a "funny look" but he just smiled and said "No Prob" (so it probably wasn't a funny look!).

Surely you qualified for a Mother and child place:D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar