Taking Holidays

Big "H"

Jul 29, 2013
I have arranged to take my wife on Holiday to Rhodes and have my son and daughter-in-law going with us but I am concerned as to how my wife will react to a strange enviroment

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi and welcome to Talking Point :).

There is a factsheet on travelling and going on holiday, with very good practical advice, which you'll find >>here<<.

If your wife isn't used to being away from home it might be a good idea to try a weekend away in this country to see how she copes. When are you planning to go to Rhodes?

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I know everyone is different and I can only talk about my own experience. My husband and I still go on holidays. We manage reasonably well just now but I do a lot of planing!

I use airport assistance so that Bill doesn't get overtired in the airports. It has worked brilliantly as we are always boarded either first or last and the cabin crew are aware of Bill's needs.

Since a holiday a few years back when Bill wandered out of the room when I was asleep I always rake a small infra red alarm with me. I put this across the threshold of the room so that if Bill opens the door and almighty re will be set offend I will hopefully wake up!!

It's good you have people going with you. This way any problems will be shared. X

Big "H"

Jul 29, 2013
If your wife isn't used to being away from home it might be a good idea to try a weekend away in this country to see how she copes. When are you planning to go to Rhodes?[/QUOTE]

Hi we are booked to travel 21st September for 7 days, we have been away over the last Christmas holiday staying in a Travel Lodge, and again in may this year and she seemed to cope OK but I am concerned with the Flying? we have flown many times prior to being diagnosed with Vascular dementia!

regards

Big "H"

Big "H"

Jul 29, 2013
I know everyone is different and I can only talk about my own experience. My husband and I still go on holidays. We manage reasonably well just now but I do a lot of planing!

I use airport assistance so that Bill doesn't get overtired in the airports. It has worked brilliantly as we are always boarded either first or last and the cabin crew are aware of Bill's needs.

Since a holiday a few years back when Bill wandered out of the room when I was asleep I always rake a small infra red alarm with me. I put this across the threshold of the room so that if Bill opens the door and almighty re will be set offend I will hopefully wake up!!

It's good you have people going with you. This way any problems will be shared. X

Thanks for the information, my wife has been diagnosed with Vascular Dementia and at present she has not made any attempt to wander off quite the contrary she will not leave my side, she is mobile so would the Airport arrange for us to Board First as I believe the hanging around may cause a few problems!

regards

Big "H"

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I would contact the airline re assistance. Ryanair left us to board last! Easyjet and Flybe we boarded first. Bill is mobile as well but he was happy to have the wheelchair as he gets tired. This was especially useful in Gatwick as we had to transfer from terminal 1 to terminal 2.

Big "H"

Jul 29, 2013
I would contact the airline re assistance. Ryanair left us to board last! Easyjet and Flybe we boarded first. Bill is mobile as well but he was happy to have the wheelchair as he gets tired. This was especially useful in Gatwick as we had to transfer from terminal 1 to terminal 2.

Thanks for your guidance Izzy

Big "H"
Hi Izzy
Just to let you know we made it to Rhodes and thanks to the Airport Staff at Manchester everything went OK on departure, and the Hotel allowed me to reserve a Table for the whole week so as to eliminate any confusion for my wife, my wife coped quite well the full holiday, I must also say a Big thank you to Paul the Thomas Cook rep at the hotel as made the return journey easy again by putting us through Priority Check In

regards Big "H"

Last edited:

meglin

Sep 25, 2011
Well we are off tomorrow for a week in Spain.!!!!! I never thought we would make it again this year after Peter (OH) being in the Assessment Ward for 10 weeks as I could not cope with his wandering agitation. However with a change in his medication things have improved and we are grabbing the opportunity whilst we are able to manage a holiday. We are going with our daughter and family-I would not attempt it on our own so (fingers crossed) we will all enjoy it. We have been to this resort and Apartment many times before so perhaps Peter will remember some of it!! I have to go into Hospital not long after we return which is going to present problems with Peter so I am looking forward to this break. Good Luck BIG H with your holiday. Best Wishes Meglin

Big "H"

Jul 29, 2013
Social Services

I have taken a Big Step for me and contacted Social regarding my wife going to Day Care one day a week, but was surprised at the cost of this, but I have no option as I need respite, things are beginning to get to me and just to have time to myself for 1 day would allow me to calm down.

Big "H"

Big "H"

Jul 29, 2013
Well we are off tomorrow for a week in Spain.!!!!! I never thought we would make it again this year after Peter (OH) being in the Assessment Ward for 10 weeks as I could not cope with his wandering agitation. However with a change in his medication things have improved and we are grabbing the opportunity whilst we are able to manage a holiday. We are going with our daughter and family-I would not attempt it on our own so (fingers crossed) we will all enjoy it. We have been to this resort and Apartment many times before so perhaps Peter will remember some of it!! I have to go into Hospital not long after we return which is going to present problems with Peter so I am looking forward to this break. Good Luck BIG H with your holiday. Best Wishes Meglin

Hi Meglin

Just to let you know we made it and in the main it went well but don't know if I would do it again as my wife is totally confused now we are back at Home.

Big "H"

meglin

Sep 25, 2011
Hi Big "H". Glad to hear you managed to get away and it went reasonably well. Our holiday went well- a few problems but I hope we are able to do it again. With regard to Day Care for your wife you certainly should be having some help! You have to be persistent to get any help I find. Peter (OH) goes to a Day Centre 2 days a week and we also go to Forget Me Not Club together for 1 morning.(I have made lots of friends through this of people in the same position) I could not manage without this help. I do not pay anything for the Day Care and they collect and return him home again. I do not know if it depends on where in the country you are (we are in S.Wales) but I am sure someone will be along to advise. Best Wishes Meglin.

Stovey

Apr 30, 2013
A loving wife and carer

I have taken a Big Step for me and contacted Social regarding my wife going to Day Care one day a week, but was surprised at the cost of this, but I have no option as I need respite, things are beginning to get to me and just to have time to myself for 1 day would allow me to calm down.

Big "H"

I took this very difficult step for my husband earlier in year and he has just started 2 days. I can' t believe he has settled so well after clinging to me for 2years. I feel so refreshed and find the other days so much easier to care for him and always look forward to collecting him. We do have to pay but it's worth every penny. It will get easier for you. ST