A idea i had ...

Girl Afraid

Aug 16, 2012
Staffordshire
My dad loves his hugs from me he says he needs them and misses them when im not there (this was a while ago when he was able to talk more) i wasn't sure what i could do but then it occured to me that when i feel low and lonely i find hugging my teddy bear helps ( bit weird at 37 years of age but thats me ... weird) but dad was never 'into' teddy bears so after doing some thinking thought that a cushion would be appropriate, didn't take me long to find a suitable one,sat opposite me on my arm chair is a cushion i bought that says on it '' all you need is love,love is all you need'' it's got a red heart on it, i bought cuz i love the Beatles (influenced by my dads love of them) I sewed his name on it and took it for him to see what he thought of it. Well the result has been fab, everyday i see him he's hugging the cusion, he put's it down when im there and hugs me so tight and im sureis smiling inside,then when i leave i remind him to hold his cusion cuz ive filled it back up with hugs from me. I leave watching him hug it as tight as he was me.
I just thought i'd share that in case anyone else struggled with leaving their loved ones feeling alone and in need of a hug...
''all you need is love (and a hug)''
Sarah.xxx

Covcity1

Oct 2, 2013
Coventry
How lovely

I have visited this page many times to read the posts as my dad has Alzheimer's & Vascular Dementia. I have actually joined tonight as I had to comment on your post.

With tears running down my face reading it I wanted you to know that I was truly touched by your cushion idea. Your dad is blessed with having such a caring daughter :)

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Sarah Thats wonderfull, great idea about sewing Dads name on the cushion too, as labels can come off
My mum adored her teddy, it brought her such comfort and joy.

Covecity1
Welcome to TP

What a lovely reply to Sarah.
Whenever I see posts about dolls, teddies and now cushions :)
It brings back some lovely memories of my mum

Girl Afraid

Aug 16, 2012
Staffordshire
I have visited this page many times to read the posts as my dad has Alzheimer's & Vascular Dementia. I have actually joined tonight as I had to comment on your post.

With tears running down my face reading it I wanted you to know that I was truly touched by your cushion idea. Your dad is blessed with having such a caring daughter :)

Thank you ...and im TRULY touched by your reply and so glad you joined here ...im a bit lost for words right now ... Im sending you love hugs and peace xxx

Jaycee23

Jan 6, 2011
uk
You know what I am going to try that for my mum. She loves dolls and I am going to get one and do the most important bit and sew her name on it as she might think she stole it which is something she seems to be doing right now! Her real self would not dream of taking something which was not hers but I feel she is clutching onto things take seek comfort. Great idea! Thank you so much :)

Girl Afraid

Aug 16, 2012
Staffordshire
You know what I am going to try that for my mum. She loves dolls and I am going to get one and do the most important bit and sew her name on it as she might think she stole it which is something she seems to be doing right now! Her real self would not dream of taking something which was not hers but I feel she is clutching onto things take seek comfort. Great idea! Thank you so much :)

Hope your mum finds some comfort from it, let us know. Thinking of you...
Sarah
xxx

Covcity1

Oct 2, 2013
Coventry
Sarah Thats wonderfull, great idea about sewing Dads name on the cushion too, as labels can come off
My mum adored her teddy, it brought her such comfort and joy.

Covecity1
Welcome to TP

What a lovely reply to Sarah.
Whenever I see posts about dolls, teddies and now cushions :)
It brings back some lovely memories of my mum

Thank you Lin, I look forward being part of TP

Haylett

Feb 4, 2011
Girl Afraid - sewing on your Dad's name is wonderful idea. What a lovely post.

Girl Afraid

Aug 16, 2012
Staffordshire
Thanks everyone i just hope it might help someone else like it has my dad. i took a picture of him this morning with his cushion i thought i'd share but im a bit worried about it being in public view, is there a private(ish) section i can post it in ???
Thanks again for kind words.
Sarah
xxx