Administrators, Is it possible....

oneloopylady

Oct 16, 2011
Firstly, thanks for all that you do on this forum - you really are wonderful to give us somewhere to come to offload and share and I really appreciate it.

Is it possible to have a sticky thread set up for us to post information about care homes that we would recommend to others in our area? I know that we shouldnt advertise on the forum, but I see so many posts from others who are unhappy with the CH their loved one is in or spending long hours searching for a care home etc, and wondered if we could help a bit more by putting information/details about care homes we know about??

My dad, for instance, is in an excellent home in North Yorks, and my freinds dad in an equally excellent one in Wakefield, both able to deal well with dementia/parkinsons etc, and I am sure others must be able to recommend some in other parts of the country that would save members, especially new members, from days of search.

Just a thought!

Thanks again for all the hard work.

Trisha

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
I am fairly sure there are strict rules on mentioning care homes, I'm sure an moderator will be along soon to answer your question with more clarity than I can.

But yes, it is a great site.

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
As far as I am aware its not permitted to endorse/mention individual care homes on the forum but there's nothing to stop people sending private messages so maybe it would work that way, eg:-

"I am looking for a good care home in xxxxx, if anyone knows of one please pm me"?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Individuals can recommend but no one can guarantee.

Things change. The illness, behaviours, staff and management .

People have differing needs, standards and requirements and are influenced by different criteria. It is not as straightforward as it sounds.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire

oneloopylady

Oct 16, 2011
Individuals can recommend but no one can guarantee.

Things change. The illness, behaviours, staff and management .

People have differing needs, standards and requirements and are influenced by different criteria. It is not as straightforward as it sounds.

Yes, I can see that - the home my dad is in, under previous management some years ago, was almost struck off the register I think!! Now it is one of the best in our area for dementia care. So I can see that things/management change.

I just found it such a minefield finding the 'right' home for my dad, I wish there was an easier way for carers/family to find these places.

Although, in the end, I did a CQC check online and managed to eliminate quite a few before I started the leg work....

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Yes, I can see that - the home my dad is in, under previous management some years ago, was almost struck off the register I think!! Now it is one of the best in our area for dementia care. So I can see that things/management change.

I just found it such a minefield finding the 'right' home for my dad, I wish there was an easier way for carers/family to find these places.

Although, in the end, I did a CQC check online and managed to eliminate quite a few before I started the leg work....

I have no experience but what works for one might not work for another. I visit an ex neighbour, the home is lovely but he is only in his 60's the other in their 80's and his family want him to be more stimulated. I have to be honest he seems very happy where he is but I'm only his neighbour.

I go in and tell him how lovely he was to live next to. How when he saw my tv had broke and I had a tiny television he ordered a second hand large one and knocked my door when it arrived not giving me a chance to refuse. He knew my pride would make me refuse it. He said he had paid for it and it was now no good for him.

How he would de ice the ladies cars near to him on the cold mornings so we wouldn't have to scrape. Often it had iced over doubly hard but we never told him, he was so kind. He seems happy but his family know him best so it's not for me to say.

They say the other resident's are too old but I don't think he even knows who the other residents are. It's a very kind home who will let you in anytime without any prior notice, there is a lot to be said for that IMO. Nothing to hide.

We would give him lifts to places, do a little shopping and he would help a housebound lady across the road. We'd all look out for each other. The kindness is still there, he doesn't know who I am, but he loves hearing stories of his own kindessz.

Pheath

Dec 31, 2009
UK
OLL's idea is a good one, even if we can't mention CH names on the main forum, think it would be great if there was a dedicated area for recommendations which others could go to easily to make requests and then pick up responses via private message. At present requests of this sort can sometimes get a bit lost in the more general forums. I don't think anything beats a personal recommendation (that's how we found dad's home) & perhaps the moderators could write a notice about the importance of additionally conducting a proper visit and judging for themselves if their relatives needs would appropriately be met. It might just help with the filtering process as it can be very overwhelming having to find a good home especially when speed is of the essence.

Lovetosing

Sep 15, 2013
West Midlands
Time is almost always of the essence

I agree with what everyone has said. It would indeed be brilliant if there was an area to go when looking for care homes, even with the proviso that it is vital to visit and check it is right for the person needing to move. Caring for a loved one with dementia is desperately sad, exhausting and frustrating. Looking for a care home is equally sad, exhausting, frustrating and TIME CONSUMING. The latter is something most carers haven't got - time to check CQC reports, ring round to find out if there are vacancies, visit to get a 'feel' for the place when let's face it, it is probably a last resort, possibly during a crisis. Of course people need to take responsibility for finding the right home but it might just save a lot of time and heartache if a visit could be arranged because just by chance there was a recommendation in their area and there is a place available. I do hope the moderators do find a way around this. Personal messaging is certainly one way forward.