Social Services and Assessment

sweetmole

Sep 8, 2012
Thank you. Yes I will address this. No one is listening to me. I wrote to his GP in August and said my dad needs help. Can you bring him in and have a chat with him. He wrote me back after 7 weeks and said make a double appt.

I told the social worker 8 weeks ago we are at breaking point. I gave examples. And now this has happened to my mum. And I suspect that a lot more has been going on.

But I'm going to contact the vulnerable adult team. Maybe it's time mum was in a home now.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
I really think you should give a residential care home some serious consideration. It really has got out of hand, unsurprisingly as it is such a difficult disease to cope with but you Dad doesn't need legal action against him if he hurt her. I think this for me would be the turning point, it seems as if you are at that point now?

What does you Dad think about getting her into a home?

sweetmole

Sep 8, 2012
Hi yes I think it's time now for a care home. In my fight with social services to get care at home I think things have reached a head. We clearly can't cope with my mums needs and activities. Even if we had a carer 24 hrs a day it won't solve the issue.

So what do I do re residential care? Is this social services again?

I don't know how my dad would feel and I don't really care. Got to protect my mum. Thank you

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
i think it might be a good idea if you start a new thread asking for advice about getting your mum into care and the best way to go about it, also explaining what has happened recently, you deserve and desperately need more answers and i don't know why you aren't getting them unless it's because this is not one of the newer threads.

I think it is social services you need to get to for a CH unless you are self funding.

Lovetosing

Sep 15, 2013
West Midlands
Hi We have recently had a financial assessment which has taken into account income and outgoings, including any benefits such as attendance allowance, pension credit etc. The outcome has been that we have to make a 50% contribution towards dad's day centre attendance & transport costs. It is worth every penny just so that mom can get some rest or just do something without having to worry about what dad's up to. However, it is very confusing because he has more than enough Social Services budget but we still have to make a contribution. Dad really looks forward to going to the Centre twice a week as he is kept occupied. At home he gets bored after a while no matter how much mom tries to occupy him. It is exhausting caring for anyone with this devastating illness so the sooner you get the assessment the quicker you will be able to get help. We had no assessment initially, The Dementia Advisor got dad one day a week at the Day Centre. Then when we wanted a second da, although the Day Centre & Transport had availability, we were told dad couldn't have an extra day due to the need for the financial assessment. We had to make a nuisance of ourselves and ring the Social Worker every other day in order to speed things up as mom was at the end of her tether. I hope you are dealt with in a more timely manner. If not, then my advice would be to keep ringing and if necessary say the family is at crisis point, which is probably the truth. I believe some local Alzheimers Societies offer a volunteer carer for a set time each week. I think if driving is involved then travel costs have to be met but not entirely sure about any other contributions to this service. It may also be worth contacting them to see if you could get some help from home. Good luck in getting the help you need quickly.

Last edited:

Lovetosing

Sep 15, 2013
West Midlands
Hi I didn't read page 2 so hadn't caught up with further thread but you might find my comments helpful anyway: We have recently had a financial assessment which has taken into account income and outgoings, including any benefits such as attendance allowance, pension credit etc. The outcome has been that we have to make a 50% contribution towards dad's day centre attendance & transport costs. It is worth every penny just so that mom can get some rest or just do something without having to worry about what dad's up to. However, it is very confusing because he has more than enough Social Services budget but we still have to make a contribution. Dad really looks forward to going to the Centre twice a week as he is kept occupied. At home he gets bored after a while no matter how much mom tries to occupy him. It is exhausting caring for anyone with this devastating illness so the sooner you get the assessment the quicker you will be able to get help. We had no assessment initially, The Dementia Advisor got dad one day a week at the Day Centre. Then when we wanted a second da, although the Day Centre & Transport had availability, we were told dad couldn't have an extra day due to the need for the financial assessment. We had to make a nuisance of ourselves and ring the Social Worker every other day in order to speed things up as mom was at the end of her tether. I hope you are dealt with in a more timely manner. If not, then my advice would be to keep ringing and if necessary say the family is at crisis point, which is probably the truth. I believe some local Alzheimers Societies offer a volunteer carer for a set time each week. I think if driving is involved then travel costs have to be met but not entirely sure about any other contributions to this service. It may also be worth contacting them to see if you could get some help from home. Good luck in getting the help you need quickly.

With regard to Care Homes, if you are looking for a private care home, that can be another time consuming event as you will need to ring round to find out where there are vacancies and then visit each one unless of course it becomes an emergency respite bed via Social Services. Have a look at the Care Quality Commission website for Care Home reviews.