Flu jab for mum. Yes or No?

Mo_N

Oct 29, 2009
South East Essex
I haven't been around for ages so forgive me if this topic has been covered recently but I'm in a dilemma.

Mum's care home have asked me whether Mum should have a flu jab this year & I'm in two minds about it.

Mum is now 90 & her quality of life is diminishing every day. Any enjoyment she gets is so fleeting it's almost non-existent. Her doctor is in agreement with me that should she become unwell we should let nature take it's course without any aggressive intervention.

I don't think she should have the flu jab this year but am I right to withhold it?

Opinions for & against welcomed.

Mo
x

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi
Whatever choice you make, it will be the right one, personally I don't think their is any right or wrong with either choice.

We decided to let Mum have the flu jab as we didn't want Mum to die due to an infection, I know this may sound strange , but we just couldn't face the thought of Mum being so unwell.

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
I am of view that anyone in an environment like a care home should seriously consider having the flu jab to protect others if not themselves. However, I would not like to see it compulsory so would not tell you what to do!

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I agree entirely with sistermillicent.

I also think that dying of a serious infection might be more distressing for the person and those who care for them than some other kinds of death.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
I haven't been around for ages so forgive me if this topic has been covered recently but I'm in a dilemma.

Mum's care home have asked me whether Mum should have a flu jab this year & I'm in two minds about it.

Mum is now 90 & her quality of life is diminishing every day. Any enjoyment she gets is so fleeting it's almost non-existent. Her doctor is in agreement with me that should she become unwell we should let nature take it's course without any aggressive intervention.

I don't think she should have the flu jab this year but am I right to withhold it?

Opinions for & against welcomed.

Mo
x

My mother is 95, with severe dementia and a very poor quality of life. She is in a care home and we have said no to the flu jab for the past couple of years.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I have said yes to my husband having the flu jab. This is to protect other residents as much as for my husband. The last thing a nursing home full of frail, elderly people needs is an outbreak of flu.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I have said yes to my husband having the flu jab. This is to protect other residents as much as for my husband. The last thing a nursing home full of frail, elderly people needs is an outbreak of flu.

Believe it or not I was asked by the CH manager today if Pete was going to have a flu jab this year. I agreed to it for the reasons Saffie outlined above. The Manager asked about the pneumonia jab. I said 'no'. The Manager said she supported my decision and out of 15 residents only one person had the pneumonia jab, whereas only two residents didn't have the flu jab and that was because they had reactions to the injections.

Take care

Lyn T

Lainey 127

Nov 25, 2012
Liverpool UK
It's difrerent for everyone I think and I understand why some people would decide against it. I am letting Mum (91) have her flu jab on Monday. Only my opinion but I feel Mum is has enough to cope with her dementia without the added misery of a cold, flu or chest infection as well.

Pheath

Dec 31, 2009
UK
Respect everyones' right to choose.
Dad will be getting the flu jab this year just as he's had it every other, as much as anything a purely instinctive decision.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti