"I just want to stay in bed!"

Lindy-Lou

Jul 1, 2013
South Gloucestershire. UK
Hello everyone,
My Mum (82 yrs old with AD) has taken to staying in bed for most of the day this last week but once she is up, sometimes as late as 2 or 3pm, she seems ok.
This is making me feel very frustrated as in the evening she is sooo excited about attending the day centre or other clubs but in the morning there is not a chance!

I know she misses the company and stimulation is really beneficial but how do I get around this? any thoughts please or similar experiences?

Is this something to expect with AD or is she still getting over her tooth extraction she had ten days ago?

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
I would suspect that the tooth extraction is the cause, if this behaviour co-incides with that event. At her age her body takes longer to heal. If she seems to need more sleep for a while I would just let her do this. It seems like a choice her body is making rather than her mind. Keep trying daily to encourage her to rise at a more normal time. I hope it is just a short-term problem.

oneloopylady

Oct 16, 2011
My dad has VasD and is completely immobile. He is now in a CH but refuses to leave his bed, other than to be taken to the commode. He won't sit out in a chair, or go downstairs for meals etc - he just wants to sit in his bed and nothing will move him.

For months, we tried all sorts to get him out of bed, but no, he just got more stubborn, more aggressive etc.... now we just have to leave him to what he wants. The carers have to go in every 2 hours to turn him in case of bed sores.

The staff say it is all part of the dementia sadly.....but he was so unhappy when we tried to 'encourage' him to sit in a chair etc that it wasnt worth the anger and upset he went through.

xxx

Lindy-Lou

Jul 1, 2013
South Gloucestershire. UK
My dad has VasD and is completely immobile. He is now in a CH but refuses to leave his bed, other than to be taken to the commode. He won't sit out in a chair, or go downstairs for meals etc - he just wants to sit in his bed and nothing will move him.

For months, we tried all sorts to get him out of bed, but no, he just got more stubborn, more aggressive etc.... now we just have to leave him to what he wants. The carers have to go in every 2 hours to turn him in case of bed sores.

The staff say it is all part of the dementia sadly.....but he was so unhappy when we tried to 'encourage' him to sit in a chair etc that it wasnt worth the anger and upset he went through.

xxx

Thank you for your comments and sharing your experiences you have had with your Dad.
It must be very difficult for you to see him this way, especially when all your efforts to encourage him have failed. I totally agree that keeping our loved ones feeling safe,loved and comfortable has to be important in this horrid illness as emotional upset does really knock them back, as I am learning with Mum.

Thankfully Mum did get up eventually and so was able to share in half a day at the centre. She thoroughly enjoyed herself too which was wonderful.
I feel grateful for each day like this she can enjoy and take one day at a time.

oneloopylady

Oct 16, 2011
I am so glad that your mum 'came back' and was able to motivate again, and long may it continue. We are sure that my dads mental health has deteriorated more rapidly because he gets no stimulation all day and night because he won't mix and won't leave his room, so as long as your mum is able/willing to go out and about, that is a great and positive thing.

I am so glad for you both!

Trisha
xxx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aliso