Dont know what to do

nipper

Dec 27, 2012
hertfordshire
I have posted here before, but my wife who is under 65 was diagnosed with Alzheimers nearly a year ago. She is regularly attended a clinic where she is now on rivastigmine patches, which dont seem to have much effect.

Although she is also on anti depressants over the last few days she has taken to wandering and will not settle, even indoors she will have her coat and shoes on. She then goes out without saying anything then maybe 10 or 15 minutes later come back and I say Hello or something else to her and she goes back out again. She says that no one including me loves her or likes her and I cant convince her otherwise.

At present she is still out, but she comes back and rings the bell and then wanders off again.

I really dont know what to do as it is upsetting and worrying me no end. She reguarly sees our GP and we are in touch with the local Alzheimers group so any help would be appreciated.

She does not accept that anything is wrong and keeps asking for her Mother who dies about 20 years back.

Thanks

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
Hello Nipper,

I am sorry to hear about your wife. I have not been in this situation, but can imagine how worrying it is for you. Can you go back to the GP for help? You say the patches are not working...perhaps change the medication?

Really just bumping up your post so others who know more will be able to advise.

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
I am very sorry. I suggest you keep a diary - a log of times and events - as a written record, for the GP, for all others involved in your wife's care - and to help you keep your head round what is happening.

Then, when you go back to the doctors you can take that with you. And, I suggest you do go straight back to the doctors. Everybody suits different medication - and it could be your wife's medication needs re-thinking.

It is clear she needs more help.

I'm afraid the fact that she does not believe you is a normal symptom of this disease. And that she looks for her mother - and that she denies she is ill. It is very cruel.

But please keep posting here as we know all too well what you are describing. I wish you luck and courage.

nipper

Dec 27, 2012
hertfordshire
I am very sorry. I suggest you keep a diary - a log of times and events - as a written record, for the GP, for all others involved in your wife's care - and to help you keep your head round what is happening.

Then, when you go back to the doctors you can take that with you. And, I suggest you do go straight back to the doctors. Everybody suits different medication - and it could be your wife's medication needs re-thinking.

It is clear she needs more help.

I'm afraid the fact that she does not believe you is a normal symptom of this disease. And that she looks for her mother - and that she denies she is ill. It is very cruel.

But please keep posting here as we know all too well what you are describing. I wish you luck and courage.

many thanks for your response, keeping a note of things seems a very good idea. We do have a member from the clinic coming this week, but sometimes my wife thinks I am being very critical when I mention her problems and my anxiety, but I do need to share my problems.