Best place to go for hearing test and maybe hearing aid for Gran

kellybonnie

Aug 31, 2013
Hi all,
We have noticed that Gran(65) at times doesn't always hear what we are saying. We can tell by the answers she gives that she has not heard us at all or correctly. So since she now intends attending many important meetings about Grandad, we are thinking of broaching the subject of a hearing test for her, which may result in a hearing aid.

We have no experience in this department and don't really know if we need to take her to the Dr or maybe to Boots etc who do free hearing tests.

Where would be the best place to take her ?

Do pensioners usually have to pay for hearing aid?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The NHS is wonderful now. Well it is where I am.

Your Gran will be able to get the best Digital Hearing Aid available at no cost. Just take her to her GP for a referral.

Don`t waste money going privately.

kellybonnie

Aug 31, 2013
The NHS is wonderful now. Well it is where I am.

Your Gran will be able to get the best Digital Hearing Aid available at no cost. Just take her to her GP for a referral.

Don`t waste money going privately.

Thanks for the info appointment now setup :)

Last edited:

kellybonnie

Aug 31, 2013
Update: to our amazement Grandma saw the Dr yesterday and apart from a little wax in one ear he says her hearing is fine !

Any member of the family will tell you that she is having trouble hearing ! You can ask her a question and she will answer something completely not related because she has not heard what was said. This makes her appear a big scatty when in fact it is just that she can't hear well.

So no hearing test has been arranged.

Any suggestions as what we should do now ? I thought when this happens this was the time hearing aids could be used to improve her hearing. Is it just an old aged thing and nothing can be done you just have to deal with it ?

Last edited:

Contrary Mary

Jun 11, 2010
Greater London
Update: to our amazement Grandma saw the Dr yesterday and apart from a little wax in one ear he says her hearing is fine !

So no hearing test has been arranged.

Oh gosh, this reminds me of the doctor years ago who told my mum that I didn't want to hear what Mum said to me:eek: It is so long ago now that I can't remember exactly what happened. I must have gone back to (perhaps a different) doctor and said I thought there was a problem. I do know I was asked to make an appointment with the practice nurse to do a hearing test.

As a hard of hearing person, I would urge you to pursue this. I don't know how the doctor can come to this conclusion without a test.

In the meantime, you could try an online test. Look up the Action on Hearing Loss website, I'm sure they have something. At the very least, this may give you more ammo for the docs.

Good luck!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anita1968