Shocked!!!

meglin

Sep 25, 2011
I have a friend (made through Forget me Not Club) whose OH has Dementia and Motor Neurone. He has also recently become doubly incontinent. He is very agitated at night and most of the time she gets very little sleep. He was recently prescribed Temazepam by the Psychiatrist there was a definite improvement at night . However when she asked for a repeat of the Prescription her Gp. refused saying that he would not prescribe them as they were "TOO EXPENSIVE" I have them on the prescription for Peter OH but have cut down on their use as he is sleeping well. I was shocked as I did not think a Gp. would go against the wishes of the Psychiatrist and refuse a drug..Anyone else come across this situation I wonder.? She is getting back to the Memory Clinic and Psychiatrist on Monday but I am sure she could do without all the hassle!! Meglin.

Tigers15

Oct 21, 2012
I think an appointment to see another GP is in order. The one your friend saw is obviously very short sighted: in the long run if she doesn't sleep because he doesn't sleep she will become ill and will inevitably be a cost to the GP!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, if able she needs to contact the psychiatrist direct and explain what has happened with the GP.

No - a GP should not override the decision / prescription of a psychiatrist.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
I suggest you contact the Psychiatrist asap to inform him what the GP has said.
I would also see another GP at the practice or change to another practice

Unless their are medical reasons, side effects , I dont think a gp should overrule a consultant, and to do it for reasons of cost IMO is despicable

meglin

Sep 25, 2011
Thanks so much everyone for the advice which I will pass on. I just hope my friend is able to contact the Psychiatrist tomorrow and sort this out satisfactorily. Meglin.

Kilgara

Sep 15, 2013
temazepam is a benzodiazepine and they are very rarely prescribed long term they are only usually used as a short term solution to health problems as they are very addictive. I do know that they can't refuse it saying they are too expensive however they may say that they won't prescribe them anymore because they can become addictive. definately speak to the psychiatrist though