Home security

Daisy Duck

Sep 13, 2013
Does anybody know of a simple monitoring system I can use to keep an eye on my Mum from afar and find out who is stealing from her? I need a camera somewhere near her front door - either inside or outside - and I need to be able to record the pictures.

I have checked several CCTV systems but they all seem extremely complicated, despite claiming to be 'simple to install and use'.

There is no internet connection at my mother's house and I do not possess any power tools or DIY knowhow, so would probably need to pay somebody to install the thing for me.

If anybody has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
Do you know for certain that somebody is stealing from her? Because it's very common in dementia for sufferers to say people are stealing when they have hidden things (also very common) and completely forgotten having done so, or have thrown them out. My aunt said someone had stolen a valuable ring when in fact she'd wrapped it up in something very manky and put it in the bin, where it was found by happy accident.

Of course cctv would probably be very useful in any case when you are far away.

witchpig

Dec 31, 2011
Maidstone Kent
Have a word with your local police crime prevention officer, they know which system will be best for what you want. If there is somebody thieving a visit from the ploice may stop them.

You could also contact AGE UK ( age concern) they may have advice about who can put the system in place.

Daisy Duck

Sep 13, 2013
Thanks....

......for all the helpful suggestions. I had no idea there were self-contained monitoring units! Thanks for the links, Nitram.

As for the police, I already had them round when Mum was being pursued by a doorstep salesman. Don't think it solved anything, though, and Mum had no memory of their visit afterwards. But good suggestion about asking Age UK with help installing a camera. Thanks, Witchpig.

And, Witzend, if a bogus charity collector or someone with a sob story calls at my mother's door and asks for money and she obediently hands it over, wouldn't that count as 'stealing'? Taking money from somebody who is confused/has poor judgement? Pre-Alzheimer's mum would have told them where to go......

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Lots of great advice given as always, B&Q also sell them they are fairly easy to install even by an amateur with a good knowledge of how to use a drill.

stillcaring

Sep 4, 2011
my mum's doorbell isn't very loud and I have to ring it a lot of times before she hears

I could get it fixed but I leave it like that to deter the charity collectors, double glazing salesmen etc etc

she's only signed up once for insulation she didn't need and luckily the company in question confirmed the deal in writing and were very understanding when I explained the situation

Daisy Duck

Sep 13, 2013
Thanks, stillcaring, that sounds like a good system.
But how can you be sure your mum hasn't signed anything else? I really worry about this kind of thing but have no idea how to prevent it.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
And, Witzend, if a bogus charity collector or someone with a sob story calls at my mother's door and asks for money and she obediently hands it over, wouldn't that count as 'stealing'? Taking money from somebody who is confused/has poor judgement? Pre-Alzheimer's mum would have told them where to go......

Yes, of course I would call it stealing and would do anything to try to stop it, inc. security systems. Have you got power of attorney, or would you be able to get it now? It is such a worry when finances are at risk. We finally activated my mother's p of a after a cheque for a large sum went missing, and had been cashed by heaven knows who. Of course she hadn't a clue what had happened to it, short term memory was already nearly non existent.