Can a person order a cheque book for another

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Is it possible to go online and order a cheque book for another person, if that person doesn't have internet access set up.

Mum told me my sister used her phone to order a cheque book, she was fascinated as my sister did it without talking. Does this mean she has set up internet banking on mum's account again, or can anyone do that?

Sorry to be dim.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi Noorza. I assume you mean get on the phone and order a cheque book rather than online? Because I imagine that this sort of thing is entirely automated now and just requires you to enter the account number, cheque sequence password etc, so I'm sure it can be done without saying a word.

Why don't you try it yourself? You can always abort the process...

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I didn't get into it but wouldn't it require a password and so on? I order cheques online for both myself and my mother but I need the access code and the password to do so.

Hengell

Jun 2, 2013
Ive got access to my mums account can order cheque books set up dirct debits and transfers via the internet was set up with sanander with my epa unregistered

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
I have ordered a couple of chequebooks ..(my name to use on behalf of my mother)..I always ask them to send it to my address and they always send it to hers!!

Contrary Mary

Jun 11, 2010
Greater London
Hi Noorza

This may be two separate things.

For Mum, she had a code (which I knew) and then I got my own code when POA. This was for telephone banking. I think with us if I remember rightly I would have had to register separately for online banking.

I only use telephone banking for myself, and think I would also have to go through another registration process for online.

Hope this helps. xx

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
I have ordered a couple of chequebooks ..(my name to use on behalf of my mother)..I always ask them to send it to my address and they always send it to hers!!

They have to send it to hers as part of their security procedure. It would alert her to someone else trying to illegally trying to access her account. Obviously it's a pain when dementia is the reason you want the cheque book in the first place!

Contrary Mary

Jun 11, 2010
Greater London
One thing that has just sprung to my mind. Being a bit of a technophobe, I use my phone for, erm, telephone calls. I suppose it is possible that sister was using internet access on a smartphone?

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
They have to send it to hers as part of their security procedure. It would alert her to someone else trying to illegally trying to access her account. Obviously it's a pain when dementia is the reason you want the cheque book in the first place!

I had third party mandate on her account though.....the cheque book had my name.. as third party for.. then my mothers name...

Last edited:

Nix

Mar 12, 2012
My dad is with Lloyds and for the past year I have had his statements and replacement chequebooks held at his branch for security. They do not get delivered to his home address otherwise they are never seen again. I went in with dad and had me authorised to collect them on his behalf. Not sure this would be any help to you though :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar