I have vascular dementia and have questions

Mark4601

Aug 7, 2013
I had three Tia's in 2011 and one outcome is dementia. I always feel light headed and at the same time it feels like I have been on a boat and stepped onto shore and my head feels like I am still on the boat. It may sound completely crazy but was wondering if anyone else has ever felt like this.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hi Mark and welcome to Talking Point.

I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis and hope you get much support here.
I have not experienced your symptoms but I am sure others here have and will understand.

I am moving your first post to the 'I have dementia' section of the Forum as I believe you will have more support there.
http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?56-I-have-dementia

Keep in touch and let us know how you are getting along.

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Hi Mark4601

Sorry about your dementia but welcome to TP, when I was first diagnosed with my mixed dementia now almost nine years ago one of my many problems at that time was always feeling light headed and a feeling like being drunk or as you put it:

(I always feel light headed and at the same time it feels like I have been on a boat and stepped onto shore and my head feels like I am still on the boat)

Yes that can be one of the many indications of dementia "BUT" also when I had my blood test at that time they found out that I also have diabetes I would suggest that you ask your doctor for a blood test as that feeling in the head is also a sign of diabetes

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Hello Mark and welcome to Talking Point, my husband has vascular dementia and complains of being light headed and disorientated he says his brain hurts if he has to think about something and try and remember something, You will get a lot of support and advice on here,

Jeany x

Last edited:

Pennie

Jun 16, 2013
Somerset
I had three Tia's in 2011 and one outcome is dementia. I always feel light headed and at the same time it feels like I have been on a boat and stepped onto shore and my head feels like I am still on the boat. It may sound completely crazy but was wondering if anyone else has ever felt like this.

Hello Mark,

My husband had a TIA a couple of months ago and describes exactly that feeling of being on dry land after a boat trip with the "still on the ship feeling". No one has ever suggested dementia though.

Have you had a diagnosis?

Hope you are taking care of yourself and taking things slowly.

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire

Hi Mark welcome

I think its a common feeling I now use a stick to keep me on the straight and narrow
except that today when I went to the memory cafe I forgot to take it!

Being able to laugh at yourself is very helpful with dementia (and the rest of life I guess)

You will find lots of support on here - from one who knows

Sarah

Mark4601

Aug 7, 2013
Hello Mark,

My husband had a TIA a couple of months ago and describes exactly that feeling of being on dry land after a boat trip with the "still on the ship feeling". No one has ever suggested dementia though.

Have you had a diagnosis?

Hope you are taking care of yourself and taking things slowly.

I want to thank all of you for the response. I was starting to wonder if I was alone in this. I had multiple Tia's in 2011 and was diagnosed with vascular dementia from my neurologist after my third Tia. Pennie your husband could have a slight case and not know it I know the hospital dr's do not mention anything about the side effects of Tia's like vascular dementia. It would be worth having it checked.
The best of luck to you and your husband.

Mamsgirl

Jun 2, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Chiming in a bit late, but my Mum was diagnosed with VaD in 2007 and has dizzy spells. She says it's when she turns round too quickly.
Hope you stay well for a long time to come.

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
This makes sense to me - and is very helpful too as it helps me understand how my husband is feeling. He does not describe it but I can observe it. And I wish he would describe it.

I suppose it is a normal symptom of the blood not reaching the head as it used to.

Starvin

Jan 8, 2013
N.Wales
I have a similar feelings as you describe, light headed, cloudy, especially when tired. Can also get disorientated and can't make decisions when too bad. :eek:

Sinartra

May 15, 2012

Hello Mark,How are you today?

My Dad is in yr 2 of his VD and Alzheimer's so I see a lot of what you are saying about your symptoms also in my Dad, he often complains about feeling light headed and I see him stumble sometimes, somewhat like vertigo I assume because he had this sometime ago I recall! Not sure if there is any medication you could take for this but if not already done so do have a chat with your GP, or other healthcare professional who has experience within this field. Let me know how you get on ok, kind regards, Sinartra.:)

Last edited:

Starvin

Jan 8, 2013
N.Wales
Hello Mark,How are you today?

My Dad is in yr 2 of his VD and Dementia so I see a lot of what you are saying about your symptoms also in my Dad, he often complains about feeling light headed and I see him stumble sometimes, somewhat like vertigo I assume because he had this sometime ago I recall! Not sure if there is any medication you could take for this but if not already done do have a chat with your GP, or other healthcare professiona who has experience within this field. Let me know how you get on ik, kind regards, Sinartra.:)

I get very wobbly when I rise from a sitting positition, sometimes it wears off but can last an hour or so . Most people I've spoke to with the same illness have similar experiences with their balance

catsalsus

Feb 6, 2008
Scotland
My mum is often light headed and has just been diagnosed with Atrial Fibrilation, so it might be worth getting tested, all that is involved is an ECG.

JTSA

Jan 29, 2011
Vascular Dementia

I have CADASIL, not diagnosed dementia yet. I have TIA's more and more often, and based on my research refer to them as micro-bleed strokes. I also suffered a mild traumatic brain injury in 1995, which tends to bring on symptoms sooner than would have happened in the natural course of the disease.

I do have episodes of light-headedness, brief (thankfully) episodes of vertigo, not related to drops in blood pressure or blood sugar levels. I have had movement issues also, where I feel movement where there is none. That part is more obvious after (for example) we go for a drive in the winding roads of Panama; while I like to get out and explore, or when we went to the ocean with an inflatable rowboat and the waves rocked me -- afterwards, I kept rocking even when still -- sometimes I am really glad to get back to home base to lie down. My brain just can't compensate like it used to. I was professionally fully balance tested and successfully flunked all tests but do still have decent visual balance to a large degree, so I understand why I will eventually need a wheelchair.

I have lots of falls, just tore my meniscus (!) (meaning I wrecked my left knee and hoping not to need surgery). I believe the issues you describe are related to brain balance issues, either related to eye changes or ear changes (actually related to the brain's impairment to those areas). When I close my eyes, I cannot stay upright for long. Which V.D. do you have?

Badietta

Feb 23, 2013
Hi Mark

Thank you so much for posting this. My husband has had what he calls his "weird wobbly, pilled" moments which he has always put down to having taken his pills - for blood pressure, cardiac irregularities, atrial fibrillation and dementia, but neither the Cardiologist nor the Neurologist can explain why he feels woozy and his balance goes. It's not every day, just every now and again, sometimes once, or for several days at a time, and then nothing for a week or so. It had never occurred to either of us that he might be having TIAs, so miniscule that they were inexplicable. I am completely lost in trying to understand what on earth is going on here and would welcome all the help anyone can give me. So, please, keep posting. You may have the answer to all of our questions.

Again thank you. You're terrific,

Badietta

Destiney

Feb 4, 2013
williamsport
vascular dementia

HI, if my husband could answer he would say yes. You should talk to your doctor and tell him. In the beginning he also had headaches and would lose his balance if he was not careful. We would take it slowly when walking. And I noticed he would watch the ground alot. Please take care at curbs.

tropicbird

brain foods

Having experienced this myself, can I recommend that these foods be avoided for a few weeks, e.g. b'fast cereals, bread, sugar, yeast products, pastries, cakes, biscuits, processed foods...and replace these with ripe bananas, apples, all veges including brocolli [frozen or fresh], coconut oil [1 teaspoon every morning before b'fast]. Take more real protein - e.g. cooked eggs, meat, fish, eating rice instead of potatoes. Make real soups. You may feel better within the first week! Worth a try...I found it so.

tropicbird

Hi Mark4601

Sorry about your dementia but welcome to TP, when I was first diagnosed with my mixed dementia now almost nine years ago one of my many problems at that time was always feeling light headed and a feeling like being drunk or as you put it:

(I always feel light headed and at the same time it feels like I have been on a boat and stepped onto shore and my head feels like I am still on the boat)

Yes that can be one of the many indications of dementia "BUT" also when I had my blood test at that time they found out that I also have diabetes I would suggest that you ask your doctor for a blood test as that feeling in the head is also a sign of diabetes

Having experienced these symptoms myself, and worrying that I was on the way to developing diabetes, like my Mum, can I recommend that these foods be avoided, e.g. b'fast cereals, bread, sugar, yeast products, pastries, cakes, biscuits, processed foods...and replace these with ripe bananas, apples, any cooked or raw veges including brocolli [frozen or fresh], and try coconut oil [1 teaspoon every morning before b'fast, or cooked with foods]. Take more real protein - e.g. cooked eggs, meat, fish, eating rice or sweet potatoes instead of Irish potatoes. Make real soups. You may feel better within the first week! Worth a try...I found it so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CaronL