Any ideas for occupying mum, please?

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
You might come up against the issue that someone being paid or volunteering with a vulnerable person should have a DBS completed (what used to be the CRB check) especially if they are going to be taking them out or spending any significant time on their own with them. Just a thought...

Good point Celia, that is something I need to check. The person I have in mind has worked in the NHS for 10 years with dementia patients, but is wanting to branch out on her own as she now has a second child and wants to work more flexibly. Hopefully she is up to speed on that aspect

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
Hi
These are all really good ideas. But my mum can no longer read and has lost coordination to use scissors, knife and fork , pen etc. Telly bores her but I think it is because she can't understand it. So she sits all day occasionally talking to someone. The carers and myself take her out in wheelchair to see the garden, But I can't lift her into car from chair. Anyone got any ideas to occupy her, or do you think she is probably OK in her own little world, she is totally unaware of where she is , she thinks CH is a big country mansion but can't understand why she is there.

What about an activity apron or lap pillow, Lallstom? If you google them, there are several suppliers, they have lots of different textures and attachments that your mum might enjoy?

copsham

Oct 11, 2012
Oxfordshire
Activities

My mum is 86 with Vascular Dementia in a nursing home. Things that work for her include:

Having the crossword from a daily newspaper plus pen. She is always just about to start the crossword so feels occupied.

She cannot read but enjoys the routine of having a newspaper, turning the pages mindlessly and carrying it around with her all day.

Bird feeder on suction pads on her bedroom window. This adds a little interest to her when she is choosing to lie (lay?) in bed.

We made a slide show of photos of family for her and an a4 book of family photo's. She enjoys looking at them when she is with someone.

The activity co ordinator has arranged for the home to have the left over flowers from a local supermarket so that several of the residents do "flower arranging"

"Helping" - watering the plants rather haphazardly and doing the "washing up" before the dishwasher.

She enjoys rummaging through her handbag which I have put together for her, with lavender, hankies, tiny diary and out of date bank cards etc≥ She is often looking for something then finds it in her handbag! Although she decided last week that someone had stolen her cheque book.

It is hard when the concentration has gone and yet can feel bored!!

Regards

Copsham:)

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
My mum is 86 with Vascular Dementia in a nursing home. Things that work for her include:

Having the crossword from a daily newspaper plus pen. She is always just about to start the crossword so feels occupied.

She cannot read but enjoys the routine of having a newspaper, turning the pages mindlessly and carrying it around with her all day.

Bird feeder on suction pads on her bedroom window. This adds a little interest to her when she is choosing to lie (lay?) in bed.

We made a slide show of photos of family for her and an a4 book of family photo's. She enjoys looking at them when she is with someone.

The activity co ordinator has arranged for the home to have the left over flowers from a local supermarket so that several of the residents do "flower arranging"

"Helping" - watering the plants rather haphazardly and doing the "washing up" before the dishwasher.

She enjoys rummaging through her handbag which I have put together for her, with lavender, hankies, tiny diary and out of date bank cards etc≥ She is often looking for something then finds it in her handbag! Although she decided last week that someone had stolen her cheque book.

It is hard when the concentration has gone and yet can feel bored!!

Oh my goodness! This must be my mum you are talking about! You are so right. I stopped bringing Mum a crossword because she couldn't do it... but that isn't the point is it!? Yes, she picks up newspapers... yes she rummages through her bag ( if she hasn't lost it at the time)... well the bird feeder didn't work; seems the birds didn't appreciate the choice of seed I brought in!

Thank you. Thank you. I suddenly realise that just to 'pretend' to be doing these things is the point! :):):)

lallstom

Jul 31, 2013
What about an activity apron or lap pillow, Lallstom? If you google them, there are several suppliers, they have lots of different textures and attachments that your mum might enjoy?

Never heard of them but looked them up, I could make something similar. Many thanks for this idea.

ninianna

Apr 10, 2012
Hi
I have been in exactly the same predicament. Mum has lost her ability to do all the things she enjoyed (knitting, reading, crosswords, puzzles) but is still very active. We have recently tried simple kitchen tasks such as peeling carrots and spuds, shelling peas and simple baking, stirring, etc. I had a special 100 piece jigsaw made with a picture of the grandchildren which she loves form 'alljigsawpuzzles'. Good large pieces and a clear picture.
She also loves the 'doll' therapy as she was always looking after children when she was younger.
I think any task or activity that is semi-automatic and comes naturally or was a large part of someone's past should be tried.
Hope this helps

VFranklinGould

Jan 21, 2013
Here's a brilliant idea - let's dance, learn to act, paint - it's good for your brain

I wish I had known when my mother was first diagnosed that engaging in arts activity could override dementia and if practised on a regular basis could keep symptoms at bay. She used to invite us to the theatre, but when it came to it couldn't walk out of door. Even though she wouldn't talk of her Alzheimer's, I think it would have really helped to have been able to say quietly, "it's good for your brain" then enthuse about the play. Taking part is better still. Our Arts 4 Dementia participants learned to improvise with the Royal Central School of Speech and Drama - not only were they reviving skills, but learning new ones - the atmosphere was electrifying.
Creating a birthday card, learning a dance step or to paint, writing a verse are absorbing and engaging. Veronica

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some inspiration and I know you will all have great ideas!

My mum in her CH is a wanderer. She can't hear a thing and won't join in the activities...for more than a couple of minutes.

Thinking that it would be good for Mum's self esteem to have a 'real' visitor as opposed to me (part of the furniture, if you know what I mean), I have found an occupational therapist to go in to give Mum some 1:1 attention.

Mum likes to do 'real' things ie things that seem to have a purpose. (She wants to get a job!!!!:eek::D) So I am wracking my brains to think of possible activities to suggest to the OT when I meet up for a preliminary chat.

This will be a private arrangement, so I am thinking I would be able to suggest activities...if only I could think of things which they could do in a CH.

Please help if you feel inspired, all ideas gratefully received. :)

ElaineW

Oct 18, 2012
Bristol
Knitting squares

I find exactly the same problem with my mum, all she does with her time is read 12 books at a time each with a book mark in :) and knit squares which someone else then sews up to make cat blankets. Lots of holes and mistakes but who cares, the cat loves them. My mum also does puzzles, 100 piece is the best she can tackle with some help but they are few and far in between to buy. If anyone would like some 250 piece ones they are welcome and again if anyone has some they would like to swap please do let me know.

Allypallypink

Jan 2, 2013
Hi there My mam same!

The CH now get mam to fold up laundry
And set tables for meals. She enjoys
Feeling needed and loves her 'jobs role'
Worth a try with yr mum .
Good luck! X

lillybabe

Dec 2, 2012
things to do

Hi
These are all really good ideas. But my mum can no longer read and has lost coordination to use scissors, knife and fork , pen etc. Telly bores her but I think it is because she can't understand it. So she sits all day occasionally talking to someone. The carers and myself take her out in wheelchair to see the garden, But I can't lift her into car from chair. Anyone got any ideas to occupy her, or do you think she is probably OK in her own little world, she is totally unaware of where she is , she thinks CH is a big country mansion but can't understand why she is there.

what i find helpful is i got some coloring books for adults and color pencils and my mother who normally sits falling asleep like them they keep her busy takes her mind off things.

Orientate

Apr 20, 2011
farnborough
orientate

How about 'Music for the mind' I have a similar problem with my wife who will not settle to any task but she seems to enjoy the music and tries to join in. I also find it uplifting for an hour.

golfio26

Mar 1, 2013
The CH now get mam to fold up laundry
And set tables for meals. She enjoys
Feeling needed and loves her 'jobs role'
Worth a try with yr mum .
Good luck! X

Absolutely right, my SIL in CH now folds laundry & sets tables for lunch, she has a "JOB"- though has to be reminded each day but she enjoys this & its repetitive which is very helpful with dementia sufferers. Well worth a try.

vickic

Oct 10, 2012
ideas for help!!

Hi

Omg I've been through this! Ok we kept all our old cards Christmas and birthday etc and whenever my grandad was bored we gave them to him in a little bag with a zip, they kept him occupied for hours!!!!! He would open close them, in the bag, out the bag show them to us, read odd words et c, other thing was folding laundry, towels are good you get one end, they get other, my grandad is incapable of feeding himself but will still fold and tidy cards!!!

faye77

Apr 29, 2009
bolton
any help out there?

Hi all,

This is the first time that i have posted on here, my mum has frontal lobe dementia she is 65ys old. I'm looking for any info, advise etc as to what help my mum and dad can get? Mum has had dementia for 8 yrs now, but due to goverment cutback's??? she no longer has the support of admiral nurse's.My dad is her main carer and i no he is finding it hard, he is 70yrs himself. I feel they have just been left to GET ON with it themself's.:confused:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
orange77