George & Margarets Journey with Alzheimer's

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hello Margaret,

So glad you have had another good visit. We can certainly make the most of the good ones and push to the back of our minds the not so nice ones. As long as we stay realistic about this disease then we will get through it.

Love to you both,

Jay x

Margaret938

Hello Margaret,

So glad you have had another good visit. We can certainly make the most of the good ones and push to the back of our minds the not so nice ones. As long as we stay realistic about this disease then we will get through it.

Love to you both,

Jay x

Thank you Jay, you are right we will get through it if we can keep a level head about this disease,
Love Margaret x

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi Margaret

I'm just catching up with your thread.My daughter/son in law/grandson came to stay last week so I've got a bit behind with news.However, after your very stressful time I'm glad to read that your visits have improved. To have George give you a lovely smile is priceless.I think that since AD took over our lives I've come to appreciate the simple things in life that makes me happy.Recognition, a smile-it does it for me.

Take care

Love from Lyn T

Margaret938

I had a fairly good visit with George today, I was over the moon when I first went in, he came right forward when he saw me coming into the lounge, smiled and said "I love you" . Just like you say Lyn it is the simple things in our lives that make us happy now.
I went up an hour later today, and stayed until 7.30 I was going to stay until he had supper and get him ready for bed, but he started getting a bit restless, he said he needed the toilet and when I tried to help him by unbuttoning his trousers, he grabbed my hand and got a bit angry, then he pulled a funny face and laughed, so I am not sure if he was really angry or not. Anyway I had been with him for four and a half hours so perhaps I had overstayed my welcome !! Apart from that little episode, he was in a good mood, we watched TV in his room (I nodded of for a wee while while holding his hand again) We then went down for his tea, I asked if I could sit with him, and was told I could, they are not too keen on visitors at meal times, but I was allowed. I then took him for a walk, he is not good at walking now, he drags his right leg a bit, stoops and shuffles. I don't know if it is the anti psychotic drug or a progression of the AD. It is very sad to see him walking like this, he was so fit and robust before. When I did decide to leave before his supper he was making his way into the dining room with the Carer in Charge, she is lovely, and he never looked back. In a way it is good that he is so settled, that I don't have to worry that he wants to come home with me, I don't know if I could cope with leaving him like that.
Take care all,
Love Margaret xx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
It's so hard to know what is down to drugs and what us the progression. It's a sair fecht is it not Margaret?

I'm glad your visit was mostly good. x

Margaret938

Ups and Downs on today's visit

Hello All
Not a great visit today, George was in a really peculiar mood, one minute loving and smiling and really pleased to see me, the next he was being a bit nasty, swearing a lot, although I am not sure if they were aimed at me, or if they were just words he felt like saying because he was a bit distressed. He had apparently had a very good long night's sleep, so lack of sleep was not what was causing his upset. He ate all his lunch, with a little help from one of the girls, and he had a good morning. We sat in the summer house for quite some time,and he seemed relaxed. He was muttering a lot though. I have just phoned the CH because while I was writing this, I remembered that I forgot to switch off the water fountain. While on the phone I was told he has been fine since I left and out walking in the garden. This rollercoaster we are all on is never ending.
I am about to email the consultant again!!!! I am not happy with his medication, I am sure that the increased dose is having a few side effects, which I want to point out to him, he must be so fed up of me.
Maybe tomorrow will be a better day for my visit, I am so very tired tonight, I feel drained when my George is not happy. I felt like I was not going to manage the long walk home, the last part of my journey was like walking through treacle on a never ending road.
Love to all
Margaret xx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Margaret I'm so sorry today's visit was not a good one. Rollercoaster is the right word indeed. We've not had a brilliant day either. Let's hope tomorrow is better for all of us. x

(I hope you sleep better tonight.)

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Oh Dear Margaret

You never can tell what the next day is going to bring can you? When I've had a bad visit I always feel physically ill as well .It's the emotion -it's so draining. It's very difficult, sometimes impossible, to try and second guess what the particular problem is with Dementia sufferers at times isn't it.

Once physical pain/infections/medications are ruled out I'm afraid we carers just have to accept that it's as it is:confused: I don't think you are fussing if you have queries regarding George's medication.You fight his corner and that's as it should be.

At least you know he is ok AT THIS MOMENT.

Now I'm going to be a bossy Lyn:D.Try and get some sleep tonight and don't stay up too late on this forum-or you will be ill:eek: We've already got Izzy suffering from lack of sleep:(

Hope tomorrow is better for you Margaret

Take care

Love from Lyn x

meglin

Sep 25, 2011
I have not had a good day either and it is such a worry. Peter has been so much better for the last few months since he has been on the change of medication. A couple of the drugs are anti psychotics and I am wondering if the effect is now diminishing. He has been so confused and convinced that he is not at home and has had his shoes and jacket on to go home and I had great difficulty in persuading him to stay here. I am wondering what tomorrow will bring. I know that it is inevitable that things can only get worse but it is so upsetting on days like this. Meglin

Margaret938

Hello All
I brought George home today, because it was such a lovely day and the combine harvester is working in the field behind our house, he used to love standing watching it cut and bale the barley. I had a so so afternoon with him, he seemed to remembers some of the time that this is our house, he seemed to like wandering around and picking things up. He did get a bit annoyed at me when I tried to get him to the toilet but it passed very quickly. We sat and had ice cream and strawberries and then watched the harvester for a while, before sitting outside. Our son and granddaughter came and picked us up to go back to the CH. He went in no bother and had a huge smile for one of the carers, a bigger smile than he had given me all afternoon !!
I phoned a little while ago, just to check I had not upset the applecart by taking him home, but apparently he was great, had his tea and was sitting in the quiet lounge.
I got a reply from his consultant and he is arranging to decrease the Risperidone and give him it in syrup form. Here's hoping it helps his mobility, but does not make his agitation return. Time will tell.
All my love to all,
Margaret xxx

Dear Meglin,
I have just read your post and am sorry that you did not have a good day yesterday with Pete. I don't know if the anti psychotic drugs cease to work so well after a while, I am not a great lover of this type of drug being given to dementia patients anyway, but the powers that be seem to give them out quite freely to help behaviour problems. I take it that Pete is still pretty mobile and able to wander away. George is so slow now that he is on Risperidone that he could not wander very far. You are so lucky to still have him at home, and I am glad that you are able to cope so well. I was very tired just having George here for the afternoon. I feel very inadequate.
Take Care, and please keep in touch.
Love Margaret xx

meglin

Sep 25, 2011
Dear Margaret. Thanks so much for your reply. So glad that you had such a good day with George yesterday.It is so lovely for you that he can come home and then return happily to the CH. Peter has been to Day centre today and came home quite confused but I managed to get him into the garden and cutting down an overgrown rose and he seemed to settle down. I have mentioned to the CPN. my concern about the Antipsychotics but their attitude was that the dose was small and they have been working successfully . he would not be at home otherwise asbefore I could not cope with the agitation and determination to "wander off " to wherever he decided he had to go. I just hope that is not all returning!!!! I do not really cope very well and get very depressed at times. Anyway I hope you have had a good day today again. Love and Best Wishes Meglin.

Margaret938

Hello All
Today was quite good, not a lot of smiles which is disappointing but I did get a few cuddles, which more than made up for it. I think that they will be starting his lower dose of Risperidone tomorrow, I hope he does not get agitated, since he is very calm just now, I would just like to see him being able to move around a bit better. I thought at first he was not going to settle, but I asked if he would like a shave and a haircut and he was quite happy to sit down and let me do it. He almost fell asleep while I was doing it, I told his he must be so relaxed when he could close his eyes and trust me to shave him. We had a nice little walk in the garden and then he sat with his feet up in the lounge and had a nice little sleep, I held his hand and closed my eyes it was so nice, just sitting there so quietly with him. He did not fuss when I left him at tea time, so I felt so much better walking home.
Take care All
All my Love Margaret xx

Dear Meglin
Thank you for your reply, I am glad that you managed to calm Pete down by going into the garden. What anti psychotic drug is he on? and what dose is he on? Obviously it is not interfering with his mobility, since he still has a hankering to wander. I hope he does not return to his agitated state, it is so very frightening.
We all have our problems in one way or another.
I will let you know how George does on his reduced Risperidone, I am hoping that it shows that the mobility problem is in fact a side effect of this, otherwise I am afraid it might just be that the AD is causing this deterioration.
Take care,
Love Margaret x

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi Margaret

Glad you had an OK time today and George was calm.Hopefully the drug reduction wont bring on the agitation again.Pete is on Olanzapine (the smallest dose) to stop his delusions/hallucinations.He's also on Sodium Valporate for his bi-polar.Like you I'm not too sure that being on these drugs are the right thing to do as Pete's mobility is also affected. However, Pete can be so 'hyper' at times I believe that the bi-polar meds are needed to calm him down.His blood pressure can get dangerously high (on meds for that also and inhalars for asthma and copd.and cream for psoraisis. drops for glaucoma and meds for the dreaded constipation) When Pete was at home it could take an hour to go through all of that:eek:x2 .

I found it very difficult to wet shave Pete-in the end I bought a battery shaver:confused:I could never understand the technicalities. The carers manage to shave Pete very well-I think I was becoming squeamish.A DR is going to see Pete tomorrow as he has a rash on his forehead. I've been putting e45 cream on him everyday, but the carers think he may need something stronger.He 'worries' his skin so it needs looking at.

Night night Margaret

I've checked up on you the last couple of nights and I don't think that you have been burning the midnight oil so much:D

Take care

lyn t

NanLorac

May 14, 2012
Scotland
Hi Margaret,

Glad to see you are not on TP early this morning and hope that means you had a good nights sleep. I hope that you have a good visit to the CH today and George is fine.

Carol x

meglin

Sep 25, 2011
Dear Margaret. Thanks so much for your reply. Glad you had a quite good day yesterday. Peter physically is very fit thank goodness as unfortunately I do not drive and we live about 3/4 mile from the nearest bus stop so that we have to walk or depend on lifts or taxis to get around. He is taking Benperidol *25mg. Promazine.oral solution 15mls per day and also lorazepam 1/2mg and temezepam 10mg - there are also other things not connected to dementia so it is quite a cocktail of drugs. The last 2drugs are classed as benzodiazepines . I do hope the reduced dose of Risperidone has a beneficial effect on George. Love and Best Wishes Meglin.

Margaret938

Hello Lyn, and Meglin
I have just been reading your posts, what a mixture of drugs our husband's are on, I often wonder what would happen if we all stopped taking all these drugs prescribed. I am on quite a few myself, since I had breast cancer operation last July. I think we are all just guinea pigs. I am hoping that the side effects of the drug George is on is what is causing his mobility problem otherwise I will just have to admit that the AD is moving a lot faster than I would like.
I am sorry your bus service is so far away from your home Meglin, this does make life very difficult for you. I am very fortunate with our local bus it is very convenient. I don't mind walking though, if I walk to the CH and back it takes me half an hour each way, which is lovely in the nice weather. The winter might be more of a problem.
Take care,
Love Margaret xx

Margaret938

hello Carol,
Thank your for your post, I am just getting ready to visit George, I hope so much that it will be a good day.
I am sleeping quite well now, I have started going to bed really early and listening to talking books. I do wake up but am managing to get back to sleep again. Thank you (and Lyn) for checking in on me though, during the night.
Much Love,
Margaret xx

lilysmybabypup

May 21, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Hi Margaret, how I enjoy reading of your visits with your beloved, the love shines through. So glad you've had lots of hugs and some kisses too, I'm sure he finds your visits comforting and relaxing. Hope the lower dose of Risperidone goes well, I agree it seems to be a bit of a guessing game getting these cocktails of drugs in balance.
Your sleep routine sounds clever, Mum says she has the radio on to go to sleep but is still feeling uneasy and wakes several times a night. She realised she had never slept alone before! She had a sister she shared a bed with until she married and then she had Dad, so it still feels strange.
Hope today's visit goes well.
Stephanie, xxx

Margaret938

Hello Stephanie,
I am so glad you enjoy reading about my visits, I so look forward to them, I just love George to bits and can't wait to see him everyday. I can understand so well how your Mum feels, it is so lonely in bed alone, when we have been used to having someone we love share it with us for so long. I have a photo of George beside my bed, and give him a running commentary when I wake in the night, tell him I am off to the loo etc. I am glad I am on my own, anyone would think that I was going round the bend. Tell your Mum I will be thinking of her when I get up during the night, and know that she is feeling just as I am feeling.
I had a really nice visit today, there was and entertainer in singing lots of nice songs and playing the guitar. I got quite a surprise, I didn't know he would be there, but realised afterwards that I should have read the notice board and I would have known.
George and I sat and enjoyed the music and then went up to his room, he was in a really good mood, and yes I did get lots of hugs and kisses again today. I took him out for a walk in the garden before tea, but he was really struggling to walk well, very stooped and dragging his right leg quite a bit. I got him settled for his tea and he was fine when I left. I think he gets worse at walking when he is tired. I will wait and see if the reduced medication helps. I know I am grasping at straws, but where there is life there is hope.
Take care and love to your Mum
All my love
Margaret xx