Working after Caring

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
My thread is similar to the one Francine started recently on a different part of the forum.

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?61557-Job-application

I am sadly having to consider my Mum going into care as 4 visits a day by the carers is not enough to make sure she is hoisted and toileted at the right times, leaving her in distress in between calls (she is still continent, and understandably, can't defecate without going on the commode).

I am still desperately trying to think of ways of keeping her at home like paying for 2 extra visits a day, mid-morning and mid-afternoon. I don't even know if this is a viable option for the care agency I am with as I know they are very stretched on double calls. Also, I have alerted the SW about the situation so I feel a "best interests" decision coming on, which is probably justified.

So what I was going to ask was - how other ex-carers have fared in the job market, especially if they are, like me, older - 60 in my case. I have been out of work for 5 years; I was part-time looking after my Mum for 7 years before that.

With the levels of unemployment I just don't think it can be feasible to get a job at my age. I would like to change to a different line of work. I thought of working as a teaching assistant. Does anyone know if this would be possible at my age and without any experience? I have had some experience of teaching adults English as a foreign language but that was some time ago.

Any input would be gratefully received!

lilysmybabypup

May 21, 2012
Sydney, Australia
My thread is similar to the one Francine started recently on a different part of the forum.

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?61557-Job-application

I am sadly having to consider my Mum going into care as 4 visits a day by the carers is not enough to make sure she is hoisted and toileted at the right times, leaving her in distress in between calls (she is still continent, and understandably, can't defecate without going on the commode).

I am still desperately trying to think of ways of keeping her at home like paying for 2 extra visits a day, mid-morning and mid-afternoon. I don't even know if this is a viable option for the care agency I am with as I know they are very stretched on double calls. Also, I have alerted the SW about the situation so I feel a "best interests" decision coming on, which is probably justified.

So what I was going to ask was - how other ex-carers have fared in the job market, especially if they are, like me, older - 60 in my case. I have been out of work for 5 years; I was part-time looking after my Mum for 7 years before that.

With the levels of unemployment I just don't think it can be feasible to get a job at my age. I would like to change to a different line of work. I thought of working as a teaching assistant. Does anyone know if this would be possible at my age and without any experience? I have had some experience of teaching adults English as a foreign language but that was some time ago.

Any input would be gratefully received!

Nita, anything is possible if you give it a try. It does sound like your mum needs to be somewhere with care 24/7 to be sure she is safe and well looked after. Always a hard choice, no easy answers.

Perhaps you could start with a short course of some kind to brush up on current skills. You must be tech savvy since you're using a forum, so start researching how to put together a CV, ask around to see if anyone knows of jobs, most of them are acquired through word of mouth. Is there some course you could do to help with the teaching assistant job?
You never know what you can do and where doors will open up, I hope you can find what you're looking for.
Stephanie, xxx

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Hi nita,

This must be worrying. I don't know what the situation is like now but when I was a head and then an adviser (up to 2005 full-time) schools would tend to be quite open-minded as to whom they would consider as a potential teaching assistant. Sometimes they will let people come in on a voluntary basis so both parties can see how it goes. A good way in would be to approach local schools and see of there is any interest.

Of course, schools are under even greater pressure, money-wise, that they were when I was working. Some may have actually cut down on teaching assistants whilst others may be more interested in employing higher level TAs who they can use, legally and less legally, to replace teachers in certain situations. Still, if appointed, you should be given the opportunity to become qualified at both levels.

This web page looks useful:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/parents/teaching_assistant/

Hope this helps. I expect there are others with up-to-date info.

Take care

Shash7677

Sep 15, 2012
Nuneaton, warwickshire
Hiya,

Primary/infant schools will have helpers in to listen to children read or go on trips however this is voluntary. A lot of the time you need a TA Level 1. I uses to teach in a secondary school (2 lessons a week) as an unqualified instructor, it was GCSE Psychology and I have a degree in the subject.

You could always look out or ask if there are any jobs in English going? I see you taught it as a second language. Also in the school I worked in they had people going in after school to sit with students who needed help in particular subjects, this may be something you could do?

Maybe ring and see if there are any exam invigilators posts going in local schools and colleges? They pay really well and although its not all year round work it's guaranteed during exam seasons and the school will ask you back year on year.

Just some thoughts from someone who has been school based for the last 5years, not much experience outside that arena I'm afraid.

Hope you get sorted with your mum and you do find something.

Sharon x x

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Thank you for the comments so far. I will look into working in a local school on a voluntary basis to start with and also at possible courses. I think it is something I would enjoy doing even if it doesn't lead to a job.

On a more general note, I just wondered if other TPers have resumed working after caring and how they had found the experience of finding work. I imagine it is not that common as carers are usually older people and near or past retirement age.

zelana

Feb 11, 2013
N E Lincs
My daughter can't work due to M.E but she volunteers at a primary school listening to children read. She applied through the local volunteer bureau. The school contacted her and invited her to visit so she could see what was involved. She had to apply for DBS through the school and once that came through she started going one morning a week. She works with the same class every week.

You could have a look on www.do-it.org.uk for opportunities in your area.

As far as paid work is concerned maybe you could look into the possibilities of offering private tutoring in English.

Whiskas

Oct 17, 2006
Corby
Hi
I haven't posted here in a very long time but I lurk here quite a bit! Both my parents had dementia and I cared for them. They lived with me for the last few years of their lives.

Dad died in 2005 & Mum in 2008. I'd given up work to care but obviously had to return to work once they had gone. I was 55 then.

I had been a volunteer for the Alzheimer's society whilst I was caring as it gave me another focus and was a thank you for all the support they gave me as a Carer. I feel this helped me get a job as I'd shown commitment and stopped my brain from totally going into a decline!

I was on incapacity benefit for about 18 months before I was offered seasonal work at m&s then I had a fixed term contract with the job centre.

Once that was over I thought I'd had it as far as work was concerned but 8 months later I secured a job in a newly built care home not as a Carer but as a hostess. I serve meals teas and coffee that sort of thing. So there is hope!

Most of my friends are talking of retiring but me I'm starting a new career! I became severely depressed whilst caring and benefited from a great deal of counselling. It helped me change my life so much so I'm now training to be a counsellor myself.

Age is just a number as far as I'm concerned and there is something out there if you look for it. Good luck with your job search I hope you find what you are looking for.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Thank you, Zelana, for the link to the website for voluntary opportunities. I have seen some which interest me related to teaching but also others I hadn't thought of before. There was one for a committee member for a sheltered housing society and another helping young disadvantaged people with their studies.

Whiskas - you have certainly extended your talents and tried different things! You have given me some ideas too. I think if you volunteer first and show your commitment it can lead to other things even if not in the field you volunteered in.

There seem to be quite a few avenues to pursue but, like you were, Whiskas, I am feeling rather depressed at the moment. I am interested that you managed to get IB for 18 months - I think now it is the Employment and Support Allowance (support group) but I imagine it is quite difficult to get this with the interview process they put people through nowadays. I suffer from a sort of ME (Zelana mentioned her daughter had it) as I have chronic fatigue syndrome. It may be due to having been a carer for so long, not sure.

Whiskas

Oct 17, 2006
Corby
Hi Nita

Yes I got Incapacity Benefit before it all changed to ESA. It helped in that I got the money but also made me feel I must be in a bad way if they thought I was entitled to it!

Caring can have a detrimental effect on your health which I'm not sure is always recognised. Don't try to do too much too soon if you are still feeling the effects of caring.

Volunteering is a good way to go I think. It gives you an idea if you would like the sort of work you're doing and eases you back into the world of work. I hope you are able to find something you want to do and somebody snaps you up as a volunteer.

Kathphlox

Dec 16, 2009
Bolton
Nita, I worked all my life and loved it, but this was my experience before I started caring for Dad 6 years ago.

I had a terrible time finding work after I was made redundant at 57. I couldn't afford to go down the volunteer route.

I had been a valued member of staff at a great company and I was paid a very good wage. I was more than capable in the IT field and taught a lot of my workmates how to speed up the office operations using computers, which was greatly appreciated. Bearing in mind that before that I spent hundreds of hours in my own time honing and perfecting those skills.

Now I had to face reality, I couldn't get a job. I was the main bread winner and had to fall back on contract work to keep us going. They paid the lowest rate imaginable and while I was there I still had to teach others who had permanent positions in those companies how to do stuff on computers.. it was a bitter pill to swallow. But I had to do it for a couple of years, I actually cried when the long-term contracts offered me such low pay with all my experience.

After my last contract ran out, I rang the job centre to find out about signing on again... the guy I spoke to asked me 'Is your husband 60?' I said yes.. then he went on to say that I should claim pension credit as it's 3 x the jobseekers allowance.. Yes it's not the same as a good wage.. but let me tell you.. when you are on pension credit.. wait for it!!!! you pay NO poll tax and there are a great many other benefits that you are entitled to, I claimed everything I could.. I guess if you add it up, it gave me a living wage at the end of it.

I did miss working and being involved at first .. but then along came Dad and his dementia problems.. so that's how my life panned out.

It's 12 months ago since Dad passed away. Now I'm into house improvements and holidays.. I'm getting my life back again.. even though I'm too knackered to really enjoy it, just old age I guess.. I can't walk far most days without sitting down, too much bending in the last few years of caring did my back in.. knees are knackered too.

Have you thought that gardening could fill your time?. Maybe you could still do volunteer work if you need the company and claim pension credit too ;)

I hope you make the right decision for you, I made the right one for me, I gave up the fight and started to enjoy MY life as it is now, not what it used to be.

An old lady's ramble, but a happy one.. wish I could post the pic of my grandson on here without a reason, but I'm too embarrassed..lol

Good luck Nita :)

Last edited:

stillcaring

Sep 4, 2011
I'm a bit younger than you (48 now) but I went back to work after caring for my aunt who died in 2010. I had stopped working in 1991, had 3 children and then became a carer for my mum and aunt before I got round to going back to work. In 2010 I was left with 'only' 2 older children at home and 'only' one person with dementia to look after, so I signed up for a part time PGCE with the OU and am now doing my NQT year part time teaching science in a local secondary school. Obviously I had a relevant degree and am younger, but I think it shows that all sorts of things are possible if you really want them and are prepared to work really hard. I find it hard juggling caring for my mum round school but it's been possible so far, even though I do often end up working late into the night. And I love my job and being back in the work place.

Good luck!

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
Nita,I would think you may well find it possible to be taken on as a classroom assistant....put out some feelers......

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I was a headteacher but in the Scottish system. I do know that employment of staff and budgets are quite different up here. We would certainly have welcomed a volunteer Ian school as long as the criminal record checks had taken place. Other than that any post which became available would be advertised. This happened a few times with me and each time I had almost 100 applications for the post. Obviously those who had experience volunteering in the sector were better placed in regards writing a good application and having a relevant reference.

Good luck.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Thank you to everyone for telling me of their experiences - it really helps.

Kathphlox - do post that photo of your grandson!! You have given me an idea - I need to hone my Excel skills and could take a course. I used to learn from people at work who could do clever things with spreadsheets but I need to revisit it as it's all got a bit rusty. It would be worth the money and would get my brain working as well as looking good on the CV.

I have a degree but I think it's too late at 60 to go for the PGCE! I don't think they'd allow me on the course as I wouldn't have much of a working life left. I know someone who did it at 50, that's not too late. Also, I'm not that confident to stand up in front of a class - I prefer doing one-to-one teaching.

There are lots of possibilities and it all depends what presents itself at the time once I start looking in earnest.

Izzy - that's what I thought - 100 applications (or even more) for just one post. It is daunting but you just have to try. I need to brush up on my CV writing skills.

I have been thinking about the skills required in the caring role - I think organisational, time-planning, negotiating skills, problem solving are all involved! quite apart from the practical side. What does anyone else think?

PS Another thought - can you get working tax credits if you're on low pay? Not sure if they've been done away with.

Eternity

Jul 17, 2013
London
Hi Nita,

just to add temporary or fixed term contracts might offer more options than finding a permanent post.

I've been helping a family member look for work this summer and what there was a lot of, were contracts for 1 school year. That might be an option, but is obviously not as secure as a permanent place.

Working tax credits are for those on low pay, there are qualifying conditions eg: hours worked, think from memory there were also additional tax credit payments for those going back to work who were over 50 and/or disabled/ill and were claiming benefits (not sure if that has changed recently).
Also - things like council and housing tax benefit can be claimed if in work - you'd need to be on low income to qualify.
Worth getting some advice (citizen's advice, carers org) about all the benefits that may be available to you to top up your income

Good luck

Kathphlox

Dec 16, 2009
Bolton
My dad gets pension credits but only has reduced rate council tax and he is 69, not sure if it is because he is on his own but I know he still has to pay a proportion.

Sharon

That's very odd Shash, we paid absolutely nothing in council tax.. zero.. zilch for a number of years.. I'd start asking questions!! Thinking about it... maybe his pension is greater than the upper limit on earnings, that could be a factor.

zelana

Feb 11, 2013
N E Lincs
That's very odd Shash, we paid absolutely nothing in council tax.. zero.. zilch for a number of years.. I'd start asking questions!! Thinking about it... maybe his pension is greater than the upper limit on earnings, that could be a factor.

There are two types of Pension Credit.

Pension Guarantee Credit which tops up your income to a set amount and that does entitle you to council tax benefit.

Pension Savings Credit which is based on your savings and doesn't entitle you to Council Tax Benefit.

stillcaring

Sep 4, 2011
do you know how to find out which type of pension credit someone gets? my mum gets one of them but they wouldn't tell me which over the phone. I wrote to them and got my mum to sign it and the stuff I had back was a load of print outs that didn't seem to say either. I've told our local authority and they've just said to let them know when I find out and aren't charging her anything, but I do live in slight dread of them suddenly demanding several years' worth of council tax!

my mum actually isn't entitled to any pension credit at all since she inherited some money from her sister, but they had given her a guaranteed period of pension credit before she had this money and apparently it's not worth their while to reassess her at her age! very odd... but I have tried to be honest so am just accepting it now.

Last edited:

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
My mother has always had letters every year from the Pension Service stating the amount she would receive and what it comprised. Her local pension office was in Burnley. One year she didn't receive this statement so I rang up the office and asked them to send it.

You will need to quote her National Insurance No. It helped in my case as first I was a DWP appointee for her, then became her Deputy. The website below gives details of your local office. Write a letter, which she can sign, asking them to itemise her pension and any credits she receives as she does not have a pension statement for the current year.

Their phone no is 0845 60 60 265

http://pensions-service.direct.gov.uk/en/find-pension-centre/home.asp

do you know how to find out which type of pension credit someone gets? my mum gets one of them but they wouldn't tell me which over the phone. I wrote to them and got my mum to sign it and the stuff I had back was a load of print outs that didn't seem to say either. I've told our local authority and they've just said to let them know when I find out and aren't charging her anything, but I do live in slight dread of them suddenly demanding several years' worth of council tax!

my mum actually isn't entitled to any pension credit at all since she inherited some money from her sister, but they had given her a guaranteed period of pension credit before she had this money and apparently it's not worth their while to reassess her at her age! very odd... but I have tried to be honest so am just accepting it now.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Classy@1951