Young onset

watsonmaz

Aug 9, 2013
Manchester
I have just been diagnosed with alzheimers. Im 54 . I have a very supportive husband, but he is devistated. We have been along to a support group , but didnt find it that helpful as there was no one my age. Watsonmaz

Last edited by a moderator:

nimbus11

Apr 22, 2011
Hampshire
I have just been diagnosed with alzheimers. Im 54 . I have a very supportive husband, but he is devistated. We have been along to a support group , but didnt find it that helpful as there was no one my age. Watsonmaz

Hi I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis, I cant give you any advice I am afraid but I am sure that soemone will come along soon.
x

zeeeb

Hello and welcome. I know your head is probably just spinning at the moment, it is very overwhelming to say the least. My mum was diagnosed at 57, same with my deceased grandfather. I'd point you in the direction of a woman named Kate swaffer in Australia. Her blog is really good. Especially the early blogs, would likely relate to you well as a younger person diagnosed. I would definitely recommend reading the blog from the earliest dates forward otherwise you miss all the background information.

http://kateswaffer.com/daily-blog/

Last edited:

seaurchin

Oct 24, 2009
Hello Watsonmaz,

I'm really sorry to learn of your diagnosis. I hope you and your husband find Talking Point as helpful and supportive as we have.

My husband has Young Onset Alzheimer's but we learned to just take each day at a time and to enjoy life in a way that we probably hadn't before, but should have done. We soon realised it was the simple things in life that really mattered and once we got over our shock we just found ways to adapt and get on with our lives. I wish you all the very best.

Kindest wishes

Sea

Last edited: