dementia progressing very quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.

candi

May 6, 2007
norwich norfolk
hi babyface reading my post i just wrote i did'nt want to worry you unduly so i hope i havent. my mum has a very rare disese the doctors kept telling us they do'nt know what's wrong, her dementia does not 'fit' into any usual dementia pattern, you must continue to talk to the doctors and try to get answers that's the main thing i can suggest unfortunaley you have to keep on at them, even though we have been luckly with my mums doctors no-one told me they were testing for CJD until i asked. I'm so sorry your mum has gone downhill so quickly. i am thinking of you and your family how old are your children?, my teenagers are very good with my mum they do visit her and want to continue but i know they are also wondered what has happened to their nanny so quickly. i have been completely honest with them all the way through, which i think they appreciate, you can't hide to much from teenagers anyway!
love candi

babyface

Apr 30, 2007
Nottingham
My daughter is 5 & my son is 3.I havent been able to take them to the hospital yet as i dont know how they would cope.The first time i went i was in total shock & ended up been off work for deppression for 2 months.I felt like i was grieving.My kids know that grandma is poorly in hospital.My daughter said why doesnt grandma remember us anymore? its heartbreaking.

We had a meeting at the hospital & the consultant said that they were treating mum for deppression & dementia,but couldnt say 100% ??? they said they couldnt give drugs like aricept as she refuses to take anything oraly.How will she ever improve? i know that there isnt a cure,but i just want her to be able to come out of the hospital & settle in somewhere.I feel so frustrated as i cant get to visit as much as id like as i live miles away & have to get childcare.

Thanks to everyone for all your kind words & support.

Love Babyface.xx

candi

May 6, 2007
norwich norfolk
hi i feel for you, my children are older but my sisters children are the same age as yours they know that nanny is poorly and yesterday my sister told her eldest that nanny is not able to live with grandad anymore as she is poorly and she is living in a big house with lots of other people who will be looking after her she said he seemed to accept this and is now busy drawing pictures for nanny to put in her new house. she has decided not to take the children up as they were very close and she is not sure they will be able to cope with the rapid detoration that they will see. my mum is not able to take medications orally now and is only able to take fluids, smoothies, custard and icecream through a syringe where as two weeks ago is was eating biscuits perhaps her hospital would be willing to try this she also has her medication this way. i know what you mean about getting your mum settled we have had a long journey to get mum into a care home but we have had a brilliant social worker and she has now just moved into the care home of our choice, i have been exhaused the last couple of days i think it is the relief that at last she is settled and we are happy with everything, my dad can visit whenever he wants as she is two minutes walk away. has your mum got a social worker yet? try to look at as many brouchures and homes as you are able to. i think you will know yourself when you have found the 'right' one. please let me know how you are getting on love candi x

Status
Not open for further replies.